PDA

View Full Version : Question about a Yenko rumor I have heard

LS6M22
09-25-2002, 08:10 PM
Hello everybody I am new to this great site and have a question.I remember coming across a website a few years back that said that Yenko cars when new were stored in a toxic area behind Yenko's dealership.Doxin,radioactive,or something to that nature.Can anyone elaborate?

JChlupsa
09-25-2002, 08:27 PM
Never heard of that one but if it were to have been no doubt thats where the EPA came up with the term Superfund site but only when all the cars were still parked there /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

Other than that I dont think that will get owners to sell them cheap to you

JoeC
09-25-2002, 08:34 PM
This is supposed to be a true fact. I asked someone who lives in the area and he said that it is still a fenced in yard with radioactive warning signs posted. He told me this a few years ago so maybe a PA. guy could re-verify this? It was not behind Yenko's dealership but was a nearby rented lot as I was told.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-25-2002, 08:35 PM
Yes, that is correct. The cars were stored in an industrial lot up behind the dealership. They apparently produced the plutoniam (sp) for the government in one of the buildings in that ind. park. The entire area is now inaccessible behind barbed fencing, and the fencing has the radioactive signs all over it.

Some surmise that the Yenko cars might 'glow' a little because of their storage location back in '67 - '72.

JoeC
09-25-2002, 08:38 PM
This is where all the missing Yenkos are but don't tell anyone. /ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

TimG
09-25-2002, 08:40 PM
Any truth to the rumor that a transport load of COPO cars was damaged in a delivery accident and the cars showed up at the Yenko dealership with the same ID numbers about 60 days later.
I think this was in the 87' Don Yenko interview in Musclecar Review. This could cause some wierd dates if the factory rebodied these cars.

SS427
09-25-2002, 09:01 PM
WANTED: any Yenko Chevelle, Nova or Camaro for research project. Cars may be contaminated and should be disposed of through our Government program as soon as possible. Will take all toxic cars at no extra charge. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Welcome to the site Dean, where ya been?

JoeC
09-25-2002, 09:36 PM
/ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif Oh no the Government is going to confiscate all the Yenkos and put them in caves with the nuclear waste.

sixtiesmuscle
09-25-2002, 10:01 PM
Just another reason why Douglass COPO/Yenkos are more valuable!! They were never exposed to the toxic radiation in PA. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

copolocater
09-25-2002, 10:08 PM
Mike hate to tell you but GM and Don secretly shipped those cars to Jack.Thats why the stripes ,I mean stripe story ,won't stick!!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

shor
09-25-2002, 10:29 PM
/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

JChlupsa
09-25-2002, 10:53 PM
Hey wait a sec, I work for the Fed Gov and even in the HAZ WASTE Management field. Guess you Yenko Owners might as well send me all the paperwork and Ill have someone pick up the cars withing 24 hours /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

copo9566aa
09-25-2002, 11:03 PM
/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Denis
09-25-2002, 11:14 PM
Here's that picture you were referring to:

http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/yenko.net/YenkoBackyard.jpg

copolocater
09-25-2002, 11:22 PM
They have to be Douglass cars.See how some glow black instead of fathom green. And also some glow red instead of hugger orange.One has even grew an endura bumper! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif Also you can see one has even changed into a 4 door .That could be where the other 300 are.They've changed.

bpls6
09-26-2002, 05:06 AM
And look closly, one has even grown into what looks like a wagon???? /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gifcould have there been?

LS6M22
09-26-2002, 06:17 AM
Hey Rick!Yes it took me a while to venture out of the chevelle camp.Glad I did though,gret site with lots of knowledgable people.I appreciate that pic Denis,Thats exactly what I remember seeing.

John Brown
09-26-2002, 02:33 PM
/ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif Not one XT wheel or dog dish in sight!!

JoeC
09-26-2002, 02:55 PM
silver grills and bowties to

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
09-26-2002, 03:22 PM
Why would there be XT's and dogcaps on any of those cars? These were 9737 cars too, so they had 15" YH's.

GreggK
04-10-2017, 09:23 PM
I work at World of Speed in Wilsonville Oregon and we just opened a new gallery of American muscle cars. One of the cars is a yellow 1969 Yenko Camaro. A guest in the museum yesterday said he grew up near Yenko Chevrolet and his dad was a good friend of Don Yenko. He asked me if I knew one way to tell if a Yenko was real and told me to use a Geiger counter. Then he told me the story of Yenko Chevrolet being built on a superfund sight and all Yenkos have small amounts of radio activity in them. Now I need to find a Geiger counter and test the car in the museum.

Charley Lillard
04-11-2017, 01:54 AM
LOL...They were stored before being converted at a Superfund site. Somehow I doubt you will find anything but would be fun to try. There is a photo of the site on previous page.