PDA

View Full Version : Yenko Deuce Found

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-22-2002, 01:29 PM
Yenko Deuce #118 has been found. The car was quickly purchased by some fine folks in Iowa!! This Yenko is a Cranberry Red 4speed, no power steering, from the first order of 125 cars (not a Hurst car), originally sold out of Fencl-Tufo Chev. in Glendale Heights, IL. The car came with some interesting paperwork, including the Yenko SportsCars news bulletin regarding Kevin S's 427 Yenko Nova having mag wheels. The car will need a complete restoration, which is planned for the winter, and will be driven by it's new, enthusiastic owner.

Congrats to all involved, another one for the registry /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-22-2002, 01:32 PM
Here's a pic!

MikeA
10-22-2002, 03:03 PM
They're still out there. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

johnk
10-22-2002, 05:12 PM
great news marlin!nice to see another car found!congrats to the new owners!

NWYENKO
10-22-2002, 05:14 PM
Iowa?? Belk is not at it again is he?? /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif Jim

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-22-2002, 05:39 PM
It's not Belky's or Holub's.

NWYENKO
10-22-2002, 05:53 PM
Isn't there a law that limits the number of Yenko's to be located in any one state?? /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Mr70
10-22-2002, 05:55 PM
Glad to hear this Marlin.
Can you tell us details where it has been all this time?
I recently talked to MR.ED,who was in Charge of ordering the Yenko Deuce for Fencl-Tufo.
He told me to come back and he will see if his records are in order for these rare ducks.He has a lot of stories!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-22-2002, 06:02 PM
Apparently, the last IL owner decided to move to Florida, and took the Yenko with him. Before it moved to FL, it must have had some work done to it at a place in Carol Stream, IL. I don't remember the name of the place, but there's some notes from Yenko and a shipping label from Yenko Chev. in McMurray - so it must have been at least in the mid to late '70's. The car recently showed up at a body shop in Port St. Lucia, still has the IL plates on it, see pic. Now it's on a trailer to IA.

Any chance this is the same car that all you Chi-town guys remember driving past behind a repair shop?

hvychev
10-22-2002, 11:22 PM
Marlin, Awsome news about another Deuce find! I will be contacting you soon about a Deuce.

BTW The legendary Deuce behind A-Len radiator repair shop was supposed to be Hugger Orange less motor? /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-23-2002, 01:32 PM
Was the engine block in the trunk? That car was also a Fencl Tufo car, 4sp, no p/s, sold new to a guy in Carpentersville, IL. Some antique dealer ended up with it about 4-5 years ago, it's now in OH being restored.

See the vintage supercars page for a pic of this orange deuce from Fencl Tufo.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-23-2002, 01:49 PM
Car was delivered yesterday, got a call from the new owners last night. Now we are searching for the paperwork, we know it's out there, just not sure which guy has it.

Rick;
Who is the this MR.Ed guy??

Frank;
Are you referring to a Yenko Deuce that you might have found?

DarrenX33
12-07-2002, 01:43 PM
Marlin-

I have had an offline discussion with Frank regarding the Orange Deuce he has ID'd. I remember this car. Many years ago (1990 I believe) there was a Deuce Nova fitting this description down the block from A-len. I saw it at AMG Motorsports (Mercedes Tuner). At the time they had a low mile Orange 69 Z in their showroom. I noticed the Deuce around back when I pulled up. After I was done looking at the Z/28 I asked about the Nova. I remember the guy saying that it was scheduled to be restored. Since then AMG has gone under and an antique store occupies the building.

Not sure how useful this info is now but after talking to Frank we thought you might find it interesting.

hvychev
12-07-2002, 02:50 PM
I did not actually ID this car I just brought the car up in the post. I have heard about this car from numerous people since I became a member here. I work literally 5 minutes from A-Len radiator shop so if anybodys interested I can go inquire about the car. Marlin if I am not mistaking I think you already know the whereabouts of this car. (Is it the orange one that is featured in the vintage supercar photos section on this site?)

BTW Marlin and anyone else please try and submit more vintage photos of supercars! I still look at the same cars in this section at least once a day! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif Maby someone can transfer the ones of Kevins awesome Baldwin Motion Camaro in action from his thread in the Baldwin motion forum.

scuncio
12-08-2002, 06:17 PM
Was this car ever in Wisconsin? I remember an unrestored red Deuce that showed up for a car show at Holz Chevrolet in Milwaukee. Original paint and original rust. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

sixtiesmuscle
12-08-2002, 06:36 PM
Tony, you might be thinking of Glen Benzel's original red deuce. He's from the area.

olredalert
12-09-2002, 05:31 AM
DarrenX33

------That antique store is owned by the same guy who owned the AMG outlet.I used to work there.Dont remember this Deuce you are talking about as the last time I was around there was 1986 or so.
------As a sideline he used to be partners with Jack Douglas at Classic Motors,which was in the old Jack Douglas Chevrolet on Ogden just off of 294.Track down a guy in Naperville named Bob Zimmerman.He now runs a restoration and repair shop a little west of Naperville that is also called Classic motors.He has a steel trap for a memory,is a good guy,and was one of the main guys at Classic and AMG for years.He may have a line on that Deuce if anyone does,or he may be able to put you in touch with the owner of the antique store.............Bill S.....ol red!

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-09-2002, 01:27 PM
I think you guys are referring to the same car, and same 'owner' whether it be AMG or the antique shop. I spoke the antique shop owner about 4 years ago, he had advertised the huggar orange deuce for sale in Hemmings. EdC had gone to look at it, and passed, even though the price was relatively reasonable. The car was in poor condition, but the orig. block was supposedly in the trunk.

This Deuce was sold new at Fencl Tufo, is a 4speed with no additional options. The POP was with the car, and shows the original owner lived in Carpentersville, IL - I haven't been able to find him.

The car sold about a year after showing up in Hemmings because the buyer couldn't seem to get a committment from the antique owner! The car is now in Ohio under restoration.

Mr70
12-09-2002, 02:52 PM
I need to get a hold of Glen benzel.It is about some Chevrolet literature.If anyone has a phone number or knows how I can reach him,I sure would appreciate it,as he will too.
I live 5 minutes from that Antique store and bought some furniture from him in the past.If I only knew then what you are telling me now,I would have pursued that Deuce!

Bigblockhappy
12-09-2002, 05:25 PM
Marlin,

at the risk of sounding stupid, is a Yenko deuce a 427 425hp car just like the camaros? Sorry we don't see them out mt way .

SS427
12-09-2002, 05:38 PM
Louis,
It is only stupid if you don't ask. The 1969 Novas were known as Yenko Novas with the 427. See Kevin Hand's green one from the "Past Feature cars" on the main page.The 1970 Novas were known as Yenko Deuces and had 350 LT-1's in them. See Dave Belk's (now Dom's) Orange car form the same section.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-09-2002, 05:47 PM
Rick;
I have Glenn's phone number at home, I'll PM it to you.

BigBlock;
The '70 Yenko Novas were double COPO's like the '69 Yenko camaro's and chevelles. However, the drivetrain COPO 9010 had the LT1 350 installed rather than the L72 427. The suspension COPO 9737 was also used on prior year's of Yenko cars, but in '70 it was a little different - no 15" wheels, but added the F41 susp. M21 trans, BB crossmember and shifter arms, '69 Camaro Z28 shifter, bracket, boot and bezel, GTO shifter arm, etc.... The '70 Novas were ordered by Yenko with L65 350's and M20's, the two COPO's changed everything around to the hi-perf. stuff.

Mr70
12-09-2002, 08:32 PM
Marlin,
Thank you for that phone Number.
The insurance agents & Parents of young drivers had to love the Deuce on Paper.Nice and safe,nothing B/B or HP about it......until they see it in person!/ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-09-2002, 08:45 PM
Or the black tire marks left on the pavement while leaving the agents office!

Several cars had their stripes removed on Day 2, making for a true sleeper - just my style!!

COPO PETE
12-09-2002, 09:22 PM
"some of the Deuces had there stripes removed on day 2"!!!!.... Some of us did'nt have that problem!
Peter /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-09-2002, 09:32 PM
I know, I know, and you got the cool wheels too! I'm not a big fan of Yenko stripes, I like the stripped look a lot better. Neal plans on restoring one of his Deuces 'unconverted', would be pretty cool.

We know that Yenko wasn't all that crazy about changing the wheels on all those cars, we know one guy had to insist that Yenko take the XT's off the Deuce on the lot. They grudgingly did so, but just threw a bunch of 'Y's on the front seat!

hvychev
12-10-2002, 06:50 AM
Marlin, I know this is a stupid question, but I have been really curious for quite a while now. A lot of your posts have "we" in them as if you are speaking for other people as well as your self. "We" Are you French or is someone sitting next to you? /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif No serouusly im just kidding. I know it has somthing to do with the Yenko Deuce Registry. Is their more than just you, who are "we"? Just curious since the Yenko Deuce is my favorite Supercar and that is who you represent. /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-10-2002, 12:35 PM
Frank,
That is correct. I try to use the term 'we' because the 70 or so guys in the registry is where the knowledge comes from, not just 'me'. I have had my registry going since '96, and have spent hundreds of hours talking to other owners, prior owners, salespeople, and driving long distances to look at other owners cars. Everyone in the Registry has contributed to what we know about the Yenko Deuce Novas through there stories, pictures, cars, paperwork, etc....

The Yenko Deuce Registry has a pretty tight core group, many owners have more than one Deuce and no other Yenko cars, one guy has 4 Deuces! As you know, the Deuces don't seem to trade hands as often as the Yenko Camaro's so we have the benefit of getting to know one another a little better, and a lot of the guys are doing their own bits of research on their cars/dealers/history which contributes to the rest of us.

So, my long answer to a short question is that it would be inappropriate for me to answer questions as if I came up with the answer - when I most likely did not. Another tidbit we know about the wheel changes is that they used to call the stacks of XT wheels out back 'The Rainbow'! I wish I could find that 'Rainbow' today.

will
12-12-2002, 05:02 PM
Marlin,
did you ever find what happened to the orange deuce in centerville md.
was it definitly the one that went to PA. and had the BB.

Will

69_BM_LS7
01-03-2003, 01:18 AM
Marlin-Is there a website or publication for the registry?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-03-2003, 02:37 PM
69 BM 427;
This is the website for the Deuce registry! I may have started my registry a few years before Tom and Rob, but we 'teamed up' early on and we certainly share info on the Yenko Novas. This is the best SuperCar website on the net, so there's no reason to have another one just for Novas.

Will,
That orange car with the BB was at a used car lot in Chestertown around '95 or so. After that I don't know what happened to it. I believe it was originally sold out of Lustine Chev. in Hyattsville, MD. I have heard many consistent stories about this car sitting next to an auto repair shop in Centreville, MD, then in Chestertown, then ?? It will turn up someday, so keep lookin down there.
BTW, that '69 Nova SS you sold to me is indeed a non-gauge console car! Pretty cool /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif