PDA

View Full Version : Belmont Chevy Olds Ltd. Western, ON

Stefano
10-22-2002, 05:55 PM
I recently purchased a Rallye Green COPO Camaro N657867 which was sold through this dealership per GM of Canada paperwork.

Did they sell any other COPO cars as well?

COPO PETE
10-22-2002, 08:58 PM
They sold at least two other Camaros I know of.
Peter

Stefano
10-22-2002, 09:08 PM
This one has X44 and D80 Spoilers, AM radio & M21 , do you know how the other ones are equipped?

Keith Tedford
10-22-2002, 09:08 PM
Belmont Chev-Olds was a Toronto dealer. In '69 I saw an orange COPO Chevelle in their lower show room. I believe that Beare Motors got it in for a friend of mine. I was told that this car was written off many years ago, but we aren't absolutely sure.

Stefano
10-22-2002, 09:28 PM
Keith,
Were they a known Hi-Po Muscle Car dealer as well? Was it a big store?

Keith Tedford
10-22-2002, 09:43 PM
I don't remember much about them other than stopping by with a friend and seeing the Chevelle. They had a main level show room and a lower level as well. I guess they were a fair sized dealership but I don't remember them being connected with performance like Gorries was. Obviously they knew about the COPO cars though so they must have leaned toward performance to some extent.

mahoy78spyder
10-22-2002, 09:47 PM
I believe a Daytona Yellow COPO came from there also, but I'll check the paperwork tonight to make sure. If so, I'll list the options... but it looks very similar to the green one listed above.

MrMotion
10-23-2002, 02:03 AM
Yes, they were a large GM dealership. I lived about a mile North. They serviced the North West part of Toronto and did supply many hi performance vehicles. There were a number of Copo Camaros including the yellow one that Frank Naples owns. My buddies Red Copo came from there and is still in the Ontario area but was at one time tubbed and had been raced with and LS7 in it. Another friend of mine bought a Copo Chevelle from there. It too is still out there waiting to be found. A number of LS 6 Chevelles came from there and one car I know the history of is in the process of being restored and is owned by another friend of mine who found it as a full race car. My Chevelle LS6 is in Nova Scotia with a small block in it. The stories go on and on. So don't think there aren't any cars here! Everyones looking and every Cruise you go to you see another rare Hi Performance vehicle. Belmont Chev-Olds isn't there anymore but the stories are still there.

Stefano
10-23-2002, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the info. Guys. So that is three Camaros, Red. Daytona Yellow, and Rallye Green and Two Chevelles one Hugger and the other?

Bigblockhappy
10-23-2002, 04:38 AM
Mr Motion,

Do you know if Dean Myers and Wilson Niblett were performance dealers then?

COPO PETE
10-23-2002, 04:49 AM
Frank Naples old car was sold there. An impressive restoration by Brian was done on it. M21 car, spoilers, AM radio and tinted glass. The March feature car of this year was also sold there if I remember right.
Dealer # 95-576 is the number of the dealership. I was not aware of the red Camaro. That would make only two reds sold in Canada that I am aware of. I think the Orange Chevelle is alive and well in the States. Was it a chambered car???? To bad you don't have the vin#.
Peter

shor
10-23-2002, 01:30 PM
Where is the Naples Copo now?

mahoy78spyder
10-23-2002, 01:34 PM
It's here in Illinois. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

MrMotion
10-24-2002, 12:55 AM
Yes both dealerships sold performance GM vehicles but I have not heard of a Copo from either only SS Z28 396 454 and Corvettes. Both Dealerships are still in there locations and active.

MrMotion
10-24-2002, 01:12 AM
Golden Mile Chevrolet was a source of quite a number of Hi Performance GM Vehicles and is still active and at its original location. Copo Cars???? When you looked at a Copo Chevelle or Copo Camaro you didn't here the word "copo" and you would have been one of the select few or direct buddy to even sit or ride in one. No markings no emblems the True Muscle Car Sleeper in its base offering. What a rush to ride in one in 1969. The memories are still fresh!

mahoy78spyder
10-24-2002, 03:35 AM
Pete, you are right on the options on Frank Naples' old car. Brian did an excellent restoration on it. It still has only 28K original miles on it, and all the wonderful documentation Canada provides on their COPO's. It was purchased there at Belmount on 7/31/69 to a Mr. Thomas E. Broadley of Toronto. Looking through some more paperwork it apparently was featured on My Classic Car and the Jan '97 issue of Super Chevy.

shor
10-24-2002, 01:31 PM
Mahoy, can you email me about that car. Is it available?
[email protected]

mr gasser
10-31-2002, 01:39 AM
Does anyone have a emblem or decal from belmount chevrolet or maybe even a piture of the script? /ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif

BARRY
11-14-2002, 08:24 PM
BELMONT SOLD 12 OR MORE CARS I HAD GOLD COPO

Stefano
11-14-2002, 10:10 PM
I believe Keith Tedford sent me a picture with Your COPO a while back, it was parked next to one of his cars. Very unique color.

How is your COPO equiped?

BARRY
11-15-2002, 07:14 PM
HI STEFANO I SAW YOUR CAR AT A BODY SHOP IT IS 6 DIGITS FROM THE MY GOLD COPO WITH I SOLD

Stefano
11-15-2002, 07:18 PM
Thanks Barry. I sold the Rallye Green COPO to another Club member.

tom406
11-30-2002, 02:49 AM
I just ran across copies of the documentation for N657861, a Gold COPO sold at Belmont-assuming it was your car, Barry? I saw it in Arizona a few years ago, it was for sale at the McDonalds cruise-in in Scottsdale that January. It was being offered by a Mr. Steve Stange for $75K, which was big money at the time. Its a very interesting (in a cool way!) combo of Olympic Gold/Dk Green standard, with an M21 4 speed, AM radio w/rear speaker, and rear window defroster. Bought by a Mr. Williard Clements in July of '69, it listed for $4944 Canadian, with $2450 allowed on his '68 Olds 442 trade in. Killer documentation on this car, with GM Canada report, Belmont Purchase Order, Protect-o-Plaque, Fisher Body Control Card, and a receipt for the rustproofing done.

Also with it is Barry Allen's (it was your car!) purchase order from War-Dan Auto Sales in Ontario, dated July '78, where he paid $4700 plus tax and license. In the remarks column it states boldly "Hi Performance Engine NO WARRANTY".

I was blown away by the documentation-I don't usually keep flyers for cars for sale too long, but this one I saved. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smirk.gif

Stefano
11-30-2002, 02:40 PM
Thanks for sharing, cool story and that was alot for a nice Copo back then????

tom406
11-30-2002, 05:24 PM
Yeah, this was 4-5 years ago. As I recall, the other couple of COPO's around Barrett Jackson and Kruse seemed to be in the $45-50K range, and I think the Fathom Green/Green ex-Reggie Jackson column-shift auto ZL1 had a price of $69K written on it after it passed over the block unsold. So while I was duly impressed by the rare color combo and documentation, I remember thinking, boy he's reaching on the price.

tom406
12-03-2002, 02:40 AM
Oddly enough, I stumbled upon Steve Stange's website, and under his sold car listings, the COPO is the first car listed, with a number of pictures. Looks like he lowered the price of the car to $69,500 before selling it. You can find the pictures at ponycarranch SOLD (http://www.ponycarranch.com/sold.asp)

Jordan1213
06-03-2017, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the info. Guys. So that is three Camaros, Red. Daytona Yellow, and Rallye Green and Two Chevelles one Hugger and the other?
Stefano- I have a blue Belmont COPO vin 805

Jordan1213
06-03-2017, 05:20 PM
Stefano- I have a blue Belmont COPO vin 805
Belmont sold 10 copo camaros and 5 copo Chevelle. Lance hill from Belmont ordered all of them. I have his complete list.

Ryan1969Chevelle
06-03-2017, 09:30 PM
I would love to know more about the COPO Chevelles.

A Body's make the world go round:-)

Ryan

midyr
04-06-2019, 02:17 PM
This was just brought to my attention. Belmont was the highest volume new car dealer of any brand in Canada and delivered more COPOs than any other dealership. I know as I ordered and signed off on every one, along with Dave Mackay, confirmed by GM Canada. My daily driver for 3 months or so was Hugger Orange 638805, now in good hands in Southern Cal, with the odd side trip to Greece (really). Similar to almost all dealers, Belmont's sales files went into a landfill after a few years. I have Belmont butt end stickers for any current owner who need one.

Lance Hill

Ryan1969Chevelle
04-06-2019, 04:22 PM
This was just brought to my attention. Belmont was the highest volume new car dealer of any brand in Canada and delivered more COPOs than any other dealership. I know as I ordered and signed off on every one, along with Dave Mackay, confirmed by GM Canada. My daily driver for 3 months or so was Hugger Orange 638805, now in good hands in Southern Cal, with the odd side trip to Greece (really). Similar to almost all dealers, Belmont's sales files went into a landfill after a few years. I have Belmont butt end stickers for any current owner who need one.

Lance Hill

Thanks Lance, I would love to meet one day.

A Belmont dealer sticker would be nice for my scrap book.

Ryan W31

PS: you can see one of the cars in the picture is a 1969 Cutlass s and one a Supreme.

ZiggyL78
04-17-2019, 06:06 AM
Belmont was the start for me.I was a teenager fresh out of high school and my father promised me $400 for a downer on a car if I passed grade 12.I lived within walking distance of Gorries Golden Mile Chev,but everyone knew that if you wanted a fast Chev then Belmont was the place to go and Dave Mackay was guy to talk to.Dave was a great salesman and he knew his sh*t.He was the kinda guy that could read the back of a Corn Flakes box and you would think it was the word of God.He showed me a couple of cars and then something out front caught my eye.It was a 69 Camaro SS350 in silver with black interior and black SS stripes along the side.It had a 350/300 SBC 4 Spd with 4:10 gears.The SS wheels with the white letter tires really finished it off.OMG.It was friggin beautifull.Don't forget I was a green teenager who got excited just to drive the Old Man's 425 Olds.Dave took me for a ride behind the dealer.The car was dead stock so just cruising around was nice and smooth with the quiet exhaust.After all it was practically a new car.We started back to the dealer and pulled on to the street behind the dealer.Dave geared down and let her go.Damn it was fast for me.
It ran 14.40.Dave powered the gears like a pro.I was sold.He gave me a great deal and I couldn't get to the bank fast enough.

It seemed like an eternity before me and my dad went to pick it up.I remember I was shaking all the way there.We finalized the deal and I went to get in the car.My dad stopped me and said "I'll drive it home".Emoji When I first went to look for a car my dad said "and I don't want to see any Hot Rod or a fast car".Emoji When my dad saw the car for the first time,I couldn't believe he didn't realize it was fast.We drove to the highway and when we got on the on ramp my dad nailed it.The car put down 2 nice black stripes on the pavement and actually got a little out of shape.Oh sh"t.It's all over now.I was so close.I almost had it.I figured he was going to get off on the next exit and take it back to the dealer.Emoji
Surprisingly he didn't and we made it home.He didn't say a word and walked over to me and yelled "I told you nothing fast!"He kicked me in the ass and lifted me right off the ground;)It gets better.Stay tuned.
PS.The first pic is a stock photo.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-storage-parking/guelph/sold-today/1427873346?dc=true

midyr
04-17-2019, 11:53 AM
Belmont was the start for me.I was a teenager fresh out of high school and my father promised me $400 for a downer on a car if I passed grade 12.I lived within walking distance of Gorries Golden Mile Chev,but everyone knew that if you wanted a fast Chev then Belmont was the place to go and Dave Mackay was guy to talk to.Dave was a great salesman and he knew his sh*t.He was the kinda guy that could read the back of a Corn Flakes box and you would think it was the word of God.He showed me a couple of cars and then something out front caught my eye.It was a 69 Camaro SS350 in silver with black interior and black SS stripes along the side.It had a 350/300 SBC 4 Spd with 4:10 gears.The SS wheels with the white letter tires really finished it off.OMG.It was friggin beautifull.Don't forget I was a green teenager who got excited just to drive the Old Man's 425 Olds.Dave took me for a ride behind the dealer.The car was dead stock so just cruising around was nice and smooth with the quiet exhaust.After all it was practically a new car.We started back to the dealer and pulled on to the street behind the dealer.Dave geared down and let her go.Damn it was fast for me.
It ran 14.40.Dave powered the gears like a pro.I was sold.He gave me a great deal and I couldn't get to the bank fast enough.

It seemed like an eternity before me and my dad went to pick it up.I remember I was shaking all the way there.We finalized the deal and I went to get in the car.My dad stopped me and said "I'll drive it home".Emoji When I first went to look for a car my dad said "and I don't want to see any Hot Rod or a fast car".Emoji When my dad saw the car for the first time,I couldn't believe he didn't realize it was fast.We drove to the highway and when we got on the on ramp my dad nailed it.The car put down 2 nice black stripes on the pavement and actually got a little out of shape.Oh sh"t.It's all over now.I was so close.I almost had it.I figured he was going to get off on the next exit and take it back to the dealer.Emoji
Surprisingly he didn't and we made it home.He didn't say a word and walked over to me and yelled "I told you nothing fast!"He kicked me in the ass and lifted me right off the ground;)It gets better.Stay tuned.
PS.The first pic is a stock photo.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-storage-parking/guelph/sold-today/1427873346?dc=true

Hey Zig,

Good to know you are still out there. I won't let Davey see this or his head will swell.

Lance

ZiggyL78
04-17-2019, 04:40 PM
Hey Zig,

Good to know you are still out there. I won't let Davey see this or his head will swell.

Lance

LOL.Wait till I tell them about Rick Eaton.

Cheers

CamaroNOS
04-19-2019, 01:05 PM
That was a good read Ziggy. Love a"close to the heart story" like that.

My last 69 RS Z/28 was a Belmont Chev car. Thanks again Lance for the Belmont dealer sticker.

Below are some pics of my car completed at the MCACN show as well as a few pics of it in its racing trim back in 1971 - 1973 when it was campaigned in and around Cayuga Drag strip. Forgive me for the sideway pics as I still have no idea to the correct this.

Paul

Ryan1969Chevelle
04-19-2019, 02:27 PM
Paul: By memory we met in person at your car at MCACN.

Great memories, great car, great dealership!

Ryan W31

ZiggyL78
04-26-2019, 02:46 AM
That was a good read Ziggy. Love a"close to the heart story" like that.

My last 69 RS Z/28 was a Belmont Chev car. Thanks again Lance for the Belmont dealer sticker.

Below are some pics of my car completed at the MCACN show as well as a few pics of it in its racing trim back in 1971 - 1973 when it was campaigned in and around Cayuga Drag strip. Forgive me for the sideway pics as I still have no idea to the correct this.

Paul

Hello Paul.

Your car looks amazing!Definitely my favorite colors for a Z28.I am sitting here looking at the race pics and thinking I know this car.My first clue was B&T Auto.I was then trying to read the smaller lettering and saw Shimizu.So you bought this car off Jim Shimizu!Jim was a good friend of mine.I still can't believe he's gone.RIP Jimmy.We sure had some good times.Great to see the car and know that it is being taken care of.

Thanks for posting.
Zig

CamaroNOS
04-27-2019, 09:20 PM
Ryan.....your are correct. That is where me crossed paths first.

Damn I like those MCACN shows.

Paul

CamaroNOS
04-27-2019, 09:25 PM
Zig,

I actually bought it off of James and Cindy Copeland and they purchased it off of Jim. Yes......RIP Jim.

I spoke with Jim a lot in order to get as much info. as possible about the history of the Camaro. When he campaigned the car, he was quite wrapped up in all the action back then.

Would you have any old pics of his car?

What were you running at the time?

Thanks for the compliments.

Paul

ZiggyL78
04-28-2019, 06:21 AM
OK.I'm not sure of the exact years when Jim was running the car.In 1972 you would have found me in Georgetown running my 64 Chevelle.It was a warmed over 327 4 Spd with 4:88 gears.That's why I didn't make it to Cayuga.I was lucky to keep up in the truck lane at 4500.I would go there along #7 were the gears worked out fine.In 73 I bought a brand new Vega Sedan Delivery which had the Chevelle's 327 in the beginning.That was car that really put me on the map as most guys with Vegas were just dropping V8s in them while mine was tubbed with 11.50 x 28 slicks inside the wheel wells.
Anyway.Glad to see you've got Jimmy's car and restored it properly.Not too many RS Z28s around.

Cheers Zig

CamaroNOS
04-30-2019, 02:52 AM
Here are some old pics of Belmont Chev Olds as well as two of the sharpest racing gurus around when it comes to making something go fast, provided it has pistons.

I am sure those were damn fine times.

Paul

KenMaisano
04-30-2019, 05:01 AM
Zig, I'm the new owner. Paul CamaroNOS did a amazing job restoring this car. I'm about as picky as can be. Most of you here know our high level Mascar builds. So its very hard for me to own a car restored by someone else. So that's a Very high complement to Paul. This is the Z at my shop after a fifty mile cruise last Saturday. If you have any past history or pictures it would be greatly appreciated. Paul did a great job chasing history on this car. but there is always more out there. Thanks Kenny

https://www.yenko.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=138307&stc=1&d=1556600409

CamaroNOS
05-01-2019, 08:57 PM
Man is that a beautiful Camaro......who the heck did that???

LOL......thanks Ken.

Paul

ZiggyL78
05-05-2019, 03:35 AM
Here are some old pics of Belmont Chev Olds as well as two of the sharpest racing gurus around when it comes to making something go fast, provided it has pistons.

I am sure those were damn fine times.

Paul

Who are these young men;)Great memories.

Thanks for posting.

ZiggyL78
05-05-2019, 03:55 AM
Zig, I'm the new owner. Paul CamaroNOS did a amazing job restoring this car. I'm about as picky as can be. Most of you here know our high level Mascar builds. So its very hard for me to own a car restored by someone else. So that's a Very high complement to Paul. This is the Z at my shop after a fifty mile cruise last Saturday. If you have any past history or pictures it would be greatly appreciated. Paul did a great job chasing history on this car. but there is always more out there. Thanks Kenny

https://www.yenko.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=138307&stc=1&d=1556600409

Good deal sir.They don't come much nicer.

garycopo
05-16-2020, 03:09 AM
I just ran across copies of the documentation for N657861, a Gold COPO sold at Belmont-assuming it was your car, Barry? I saw it in Arizona a few years ago, it was for sale at the McDonalds cruise-in in Scottsdale that January. It was being offered by a Mr. Steve Stange for $75K, which was big money at the time. Its a very interesting (in a cool way!) combo of Olympic Gold/Dk Green standard, with an M21 4 speed, AM radio w/rear speaker, and rear window defroster. Bought by a Mr. Williard Clements in July of '69, it listed for $4944 Canadian, with $2450 allowed on his '68 Olds 442 trade in. Killer documentation on this car, with GM Canada report, Belmont Purchase Order, Protect-o-Plaque, Fisher Body Control Card, and a receipt for the rustproofing done.

Also with it is Barry Allen's (it was your car!) purchase order from War-Dan Auto Sales in Ontario, dated July '78, where he paid $4700 plus tax and license. In the remarks column it states boldly "Hi Performance Engine NO WARRANTY".

I was blown away by the documentation-I don't usually keep flyers for cars for sale too long, but this one I saved. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smirk.gif

This was my Copo before I sold it to Barry. I worked at War-Dan auto sales (named War-Dan because it was on the corner of warden and danforth) It was my personal car and I raced it at Cayuga. I worked at War-Dan at the time so when I decided to sell it I advertised it on the lot for sale. I remember Barry wanted to trade in a grand prix on it at the time. I have some pictures of me in it at Cayuga Dragstrip I will post them up. I worked at Data business forms and bought it from my friend Willard who also worked there. My friends and I that worked there had a handful of awesome cars. 2 Copo camaros I had the Gold one and Peter Bombini had an orange one (he later owned an LS6 Chevelle, bought from Freddy Donsberger). Also a 69 427 Vette (owned by Gord Keats) and 396/375 blue auto bench seat chevelle (Duke). Copos were both out of belmont. Any chance you have the War-Dan bill of sale? I would love to see it!

Thanks, Gary.

AnthonyS
05-16-2020, 04:18 AM
Cool stories!

BARRY
05-17-2020, 05:24 PM
HI this what the 1969 copo looked like in 1978. when i bought it and the last pic is at toronto international drag stip aftre it closed down

AnthonyS
05-17-2020, 05:43 PM
^ very cool!

AnthonyS
05-17-2020, 05:55 PM
I also see that two-four of Canadian stubbies in the back!!

garycopo
05-17-2020, 11:44 PM
Here I was on race day ready to head to the drag strip! I was 27 here. What a time! Lots of fun in that car. When I wasn't racing at the drags I was racing on the streets of Toronto at Jane and Wilson (Harveys)

https://i.ibb.co/4NfyGdc/27.jpg

Ryan1969Chevelle
05-18-2020, 01:35 AM
Here I was on race day ready to head to the drag strip! I was 27 here. What a time! Lots of fun in that car. When I wasn't racing at the drags I was racing on the streets of Toronto at Jane and Wilson (Harveys)

https://i.ibb.co/4NfyGdc/27.jpg

So many Ontario drag racers on here!!

Ryan W31

MrMotion
05-24-2020, 10:28 AM
I purchased the 1970 Chevelle LS6 from Peter Bombini. Car is in Nova Scotia now. Still in original paint condition MOM now. Entec LS5 convertible also seen here. Corvette my passion.
Was an exciting time then. Many Real stories and alot of just bench seat STORIES.
Tony

EZ Nova
05-24-2020, 12:32 PM
Copogary, or anyone else.

You said "there was this Gold COPO and a Orange one"? Any others that were known??

Now Jane & Wilson was before my time running the TO street scene, I was up there for the Weston & Finch days.

Now the reason I bring this up as buddy would run there with a '73 454 Vette. And the one night we raced a BLUE "COPO" '69 Camaro??? At the time, I had never heard of COPO. Setting up the race it was said by the opposition (losing team LOL) "just a COPO with headers, intake, cam and slicks"???

John

garycopo
05-26-2020, 04:30 PM
Hey Tony, it’s Gary! Peters buddy. We went to Cayuga with my 427 chevelle and 09 vette. My son and I raced each other and Peter came with us to watch. Are you still going to the auctions? I’ve got a 70 Cortez silver chevelle now with a crate 502.

John EZ Nova, that blue 69 copo you speak of belonged to my friend named John. It was a rare car with the Hide away headlights and RS package, RPO V75 liquid tire traction option. It’s been restored and has the original # match motor.

Ryan1969Chevelle
05-26-2020, 04:51 PM
I was losing sleep over the title of this awesome thread.

Belmont was spelled Belmount.

Steve S fixed it up for us :-)

Ryan W31.

garycopo
05-26-2020, 11:44 PM
Here I am in 1977 at Cayuga warming up the slicks in my Gold Copo from Belmont. I ran a 12.7 @ 117mph. Slicks and open headers. Those were the days!

https://i.ibb.co/bHP3YnT/29.jpg (https://ibb.co/TKkTJ56)

Gary

MrMotion
06-07-2020, 12:17 AM
Hello Gary, Nice to hear from you. I am retired, I have been into Corvettes since I sold the 1970 Chevelle LS6. Here are some photos for now.

427strato
06-12-2020, 01:17 AM
There were a number of Toronto dealers that sold a considerable amount of COPO cars. I purchased my 69 COPO Chevelle from B&A Chevrolet in Sept. 69 when they were in Yorkville, just before they became Addison Chev-Olds and moved up to Avenue Rd. I remember the salesman Joe K----s telling me they had 5 copo chevelles that year, 2 green, 1 blue, 1 yellow, and an orange one that went to Barrie. At the time I was at the compound on Avenue Rd. they still had the 2 green ones, of which I bought the one and the blue one. In the back side window of my car was an 8 1/2 x11 inch paper that in large block letters said NO LABELS REQUIRED and there were none. He had a binder with copies of all of the invoices for all of the hipo cars he had sold. When I initially stopped at the dealership I was looking at a 70 Nova 375 hrs car in the front window which a friend of mine bought. Another friend purchased a brown 69 375 hrs at this time and another friend purchased a 69 Cutlass, 2 door sedan, 350 2 barrel 4 speed car. I never figured out why they had ordered this last car. The reason he bought the Olds is that is father would not co-sign for the red 70 LS6 they had brought in for stock. I remember speaking with Joe some weeks later and someone broke into the compound and stole the carb off of the LS6; go figure. Joe told me he had sold a number of COPO Camaros as well. I would love to have that binder now however I have not been able to locate him. I also remember that B&A advertised in 1968 in Wheelspin that they had a 68 Biscayne, 427-425 hrs car. They only imported 2 to Canada and this could be the car that just sold out of Paris, Ont.

Ryan1969Chevelle
06-12-2020, 02:05 AM
There were a number of Toronto dealers that sold a considerable amount of COPO cars. I purchased my 69 COPO Chevelle from B&A Chevrolet in Sept. 69 when they were in Yorkville, just before they became Addison Chev-Olds and moved up to Avenue Rd. I remember the salesman Joe K----s telling me they had 5 copo chevelles that year, 2 green, 1 blue, 1 yellow, and an orange one that went to Barrie. At the time I was at the compound on Avenue Rd. they still had the 2 green ones, of which I bought the one and the blue one. In the back side window of my car was an 8 1/2 x11 inch paper that in large block letters said NO LABELS REQUIRED and there were none. He had a binder with copies of all of the invoices for all of the hipo cars he had sold. When I initially stopped at the dealership I was looking at a 70 Nova 375 hrs car in the front window which a friend of mine bought. Another friend purchased a brown 69 375 hrs at this time and another friend purchased a 69 Cutlass, 2 door sedan, 350 2 barrel 4 speed car. I never figured out why they had ordered this last car. The reason he bought the Olds is that is father would not co-sign for the red 70 LS6 they had brought in for stock. I remember speaking with Joe some weeks later and someone broke into the compound and stole the carb off of the LS6; go figure. Joe told me he had sold a number of COPO Camaros as well. I would love to have that binder now however I have not been able to locate him. I also remember that B&A advertised in 1968 in Wheelspin that they had a 68 Biscayne, 427-425 hrs car. They only imported 2 to Canada and this could be the car that just sold out of Paris, Ont.

Great history!!!

Ryan W31

EZ Nova
07-19-2020, 12:18 PM
Hey Tony, it’s Gary! Peters buddy. We went to Cayuga with my 427 chevelle and 09 vette. My son and I raced each other and Peter came with us to watch. Are you still going to the auctions? I’ve got a 70 Cortez silver chevelle now with a crate 502.

John EZ Nova, that blue 69 copo you speak of belonged to my friend named John. It was a rare car with the Hide away headlights and RS package, RPO V75 liquid tire traction option. It’s been restored and has the original # match motor.

Gary, your one of few that said they actually knew or heard of the Blue COPO. Guy like BLA BLA, FREAK and Longo said they recall it. Some others like Yedgarian, Sanchez and Tourikian didn't recall it when I talked to them about.

We only ran there a couple times, but was there watching many nights. They were pretty heavy hitters back then at Weston and Finch. Was like a car show there with the amount of nice cars.

RS_COPO_Canuck
07-20-2020, 04:28 PM
The blue Copo R/S and my old green Copo R/S now belong to a friend of mine - North of Toronto.
Both were sold new from BA

garycopo
07-22-2020, 02:26 AM
Gary, your one of few that said they actually knew or heard of the Blue COPO. Guy like BLA BLA, FREAK and Longo said they recall it. Some others like Yedgarian, Sanchez and Tourikian didn't recall it when I talked to them about.

We only ran there a couple times, but was there watching many nights. They were pretty heavy hitters back then at Weston and Finch. Was like a car show there with the amount of nice cars.

The heavy hitters back then was Peter Bombini’s Blue LS6 Chevelle and Carl’s LS6 chevelle, both automatic and went like hell. Peter ran 11.9 with slicks headers and 4:88’s at Cayuga (1971) Freddy donsberger had a 1970 motion camaro that was running high 10’s and low 11’s. Those three were the fastest true street driven cars around for my time.

EZ Nova
07-24-2020, 12:52 PM
The heavy hitters back then was Peter Bombini’s Blue LS6 Chevelle and Carl’s LS6 chevelle, both automatic and went like hell. Peter ran 11.9 with slicks headers and 4:88’s at Cayuga (1971) Freddy donsberger had a 1970 motion camaro that was running high 10’s and low 11’s. Those three were the fastest true street driven cars around for my time.

Gary about what yrs are you saying these were the hitters? You put in brackets 1971? Are you saying these LS6's were running that in 1971? If so, WAY before my time of late '80's early '90's. At that time, heard Serge Longo was THE MAN on the streets of TO. The Vette we were there with was a 11.30 car.

But back in 1971, a local guy I know and 427STRATO knows as well, has a '69 L78 Nova, headers slick and recurred distributor that was a 11.70 cars and he claims it was even driven in the winter.

MrMotion
07-26-2020, 10:55 AM
69 Black Nova was owned by a guy named GUMBY and the Orange Copo Camaro turned Racecar was owned by Gary Woods. All these cars were seen at Harvey's Jane and 401.