PDA

View Full Version : DANA literature......where is it all

GMH454
10-28-2002, 08:19 PM
Have a interest in Dana's from a evening in Anahiem, in 1991 when Peyton Cramer Bob Bondurant Gulstrand and others kept us entertained, with stories of the 60's. Cramer was a ex Shelby guy as was Bondurant hence the link. The 91 NCRS convention featured race cars, lots of L-88s.

Sorry rambling again..the question is on where is all the Dana Literature. On ebay Motion (especially 70's) comes up often enough as does Nickey...even Berger has come up ( 3 diff style catalogs in the last 2 years ) But never seen Dana. Looked 2 per week every week, may have missed something, but it has got to be SO rare. Have seen only one brochure, forget the year, do we have a literature expert who knows what they put out.
Has anyone brought Dana literature to a Reunion, has anyone bought a Dana car, can't remember seeing one.

JChlupsa
10-28-2002, 09:10 PM
I would like to know where I can pick up on of the hoods org or Repo in need be

copolocater
10-28-2002, 11:42 PM
Hughleys in hemmings which repros the motion hood had an original and I think he could be repoping those too.

bkhpah
10-29-2002, 01:15 AM
I have been working on a DANA prepared 1969 375 Nova...BKH

JoeC
10-29-2002, 11:31 AM
Here is some Dana info by memory. Dana had some connections with Yenko. Yenko was still building some Stingers in 67 and had some type of arrangement with Dana Chevrolet to build 427 Camaros (at least in late 1966). In 68 Yenko and Dana Camaros used the same hood but I'm not sure if Dana built any cars for Yenko in 68. There is a full page ad in NATIONAL DRAGSTER dec 66 showing a Dana 427 Camaro and Yenko Stinger. The ad states that either car is available at either location.
Dick Guldstrand, Bob Bondurant, and Don Yenko shared a 67 L88 Corvette at LeMans that was sponsored by Dana. Dick Gulstrand worked at Dana and raced a 67 Z28 with Dana sponsorship and James Spencer who worked for Span Inc. marketing Yenkos and raced a Yenko Stinger with Dana Sponsorship. Dana also sponsored a 68 Camaro drag car run by Dale Armstrong. Unfortunately there is not much info around on Dana but they were one of the first building 427 Camaros. Payton Cramer even priced the 427 Camaro the same as his ex-employer Shelby's cars to compete with him. attached pic of Dana drag car.

JoeC
10-29-2002, 01:43 PM
Found a pic of the 1967 Guldstrand/Dana Z28.
They claim it is the first Camaro to win a race in the Trans Am series and won Trans Am series races driving at St. Jovite, Riverside and Stardust raceways in 1967.

GMH454
10-29-2002, 09:10 PM
Joe thank you, yeah the Le Mans L-88 was on hand at the 91 NCRS convention, and the 60's discussion was around 60's road racing. Bob talked a lot about the Shelby's in Europe. Suppose winning the world championship and Le Mans (class )would leave a lasting Memory.
The Camaro was there also. Only none Corvette on display.

Back in my NCRS days I picked up a stack of Camaro Supercar literature
Yenko Stinger, Span, Yenko Catalog & some Dana stuff.
One 1967 brochure 21 cms high, 62 cms wide, tri fold. 427 Camaro Z-28, tune up shop, parts etc. I would have thought you guys have a copy, somewhere, if not, happy to scan a copy to the "keeper of the PAPER ".
If we don't have a designated Keeper, maybe it is something someone can do.

dale68z
01-12-2003, 06:38 AM
I have a 10 c 68 z28, that was bought as a demo car from Dana. I am the second owner, the origional owner says he was sponsered by Dana. He said it had Dana Chevrolet on the doors, and, if I remember right, it had a #1 on the quarters. I bought the car in 85, it had orig. paint, he had buffed off the lettering.
The car is the same burnt orange color as the cars we are discussing. My car has a ZZ paint code, and the letters, SPL, under the cowl.
I was told, by the origional owner, the color was called McLaren orange.

Seattle Sam
01-12-2003, 03:06 PM
Wasn't ZZ the code for British Racing Green in '68? Where does SPL appear on your trim tag? Is your car a Norwood or Van Nuys car?
Thanks,
-Sam

dale68z
01-12-2003, 04:36 PM
The zz code, was green, starting in jan., 68. My car was built in Oct., 67. It seems, the zz code was for special paint, prior to january. The spl is not on the trim plate, it is written on top of the cowl with crayon. The car is a van nuys car.

JoeC
01-13-2003, 04:16 PM
Have you tried to contact Dale Armstrong who worked for Dana and ran the house drag car? He is still involved in pro drag racing. Dick Guldstrand the well known Corvette builder/racer worked for Dana also. He has a web site for a his Corvette shop. He ran a 67 Z/28 in TansAm with Dana sponsoship and is said to have first Camaro race car win.

dale68z
01-15-2003, 04:31 AM
I tried to talk to Guildstrand, he relayed the message that, "he didn't recall the car", through his secretary.
I have no idea how to get a hold of Dick Armstrong, do you?

Seattle Sam
01-15-2003, 05:58 AM
Dale Armstrong was born in Holden, Alberta, and lives (or did live) in Temecula, CA. He is "retired" as a top fuel tuner, he works as a hired hand now. If you know anyone on the NHRA pro circuit, they might be able to put you in touch..
I have heard that Dale has a few muscle cars that he has restored to original, don't know what he has though.
-Sam