PDA

View Full Version : Yenko Corvettes

68l30
10-30-2002, 09:54 PM
I just started rereading ( recieved a new/better copy) a Chevrolet publication I have called Central.This issue,Jan 70,is the performance issue and deals with the Sports Dept and how to sell supercars.Here is a interesting read,

"We had Don Yenko down to personally deliver the 35th Yenko Corvette sold through our dealership.Newspaper buildup,radio advertising-the whole bit.He stayed over for two days,put on a performance clinic,directed a meeting for our Corvette Club,and just spent time on the floor talking to buffs who'd walk in off the street.A great image builder."

I believe this was at Colonial and a quoted by Josh Darden.It does not specificlly give credit to both,but does mention them elsewhere in the article.Now I'm confused.Did the Colonial picture with 350 Yenko units on top of the car correlate with this?Was this a typo or a misquote in the Central publication, or just hype to promote Chevrolet supercar sales and/or Yenko?How many and what type of Corvettes were sold?....... Anyway this is a great publication with other supercar info from Berger,AD Anderson,Colonial,Lustine,Gates,Guaranty,and many others. Any thoughts on Yenko Corvettes........

Steve

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-30-2002, 09:56 PM
Steve,
This article can't be associated with the Deuces because they weren't built until the 4th week of May, and the 1st two weeks of June of '70.

68l30
10-30-2002, 10:01 PM
Marlin,I don't have the picture in front of me,was that a Camaro or Chevelle in the photo? I don't believe it was a Duece..And yes,It was way to early.The copyright is still 1969.

Steve

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-31-2002, 01:31 PM
Steve;
I remember the photo of the '350th unit built' sign on top of a Yenko Camaro, but the picture from Colonial with the deuce and Glen Campbell was on the very first episode of My Classic Car. I have never seen that pic again, I think it belongs to Greg Rager of Mopar Muscle fame. We believe the deuce in that photo was Citrus Green, it is now in Texas.