PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Vette Fest in Chicago

Bill Pritchard
11-24-2002, 03:57 PM
It was my distinct pleasure to meet a number of friendly folks from this board at the show yesterday. The show was excellent,with many fine looking cars in attendance. I also managed to stumble across Kevin Hand selling T-shirts off his wagon /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif so I lightened his load by 2 shirts. Mark Hassett was manning the rear of the wagon for security /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif I had a great time and it was nice to be able to put faces to the names!

mhassett
11-25-2002, 12:01 AM
A good time was had by all!! The BEST Display of the show was the Zl-1's the OLD and the NEW (Porterfield, Barnhart, Lillard) also Dave Belk had his New one there. Alot of our members were there some PROUDLY showing their Awesome Cars and other of us just enjoying the show. Mark /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

68l30
11-25-2002, 02:15 AM
I enjoyed the show.It's nice to be able to meet some more of the members face to face..... /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Steve

Charley Lillard
11-25-2002, 04:37 AM
Barnhart stealing more Kids.........

Charley Lillard
11-25-2002, 05:01 AM
Barnharts 2002 ZL1

Charley Lillard
11-25-2002, 05:02 AM
another

Charley Lillard
11-25-2002, 05:21 AM
ZL1 pic

Charley Lillard
11-25-2002, 05:22 AM
again

Charley Lillard
11-25-2002, 05:24 AM
Engine

Charley Lillard
11-25-2002, 05:29 AM
Worldwide Camaro Association Illinois Rep Jerry Bechtold proposed to his Girlfriend by hiding the ring under the hood of my car and then bringing her over to see my car. He opened the Hood and she broke out in tears. Pretty neat moment.

Charley Lillard
11-25-2002, 05:31 AM
The Fit

Charley Lillard
11-25-2002, 05:32 AM
Then they thought I was giving them my Car....

Bill Pritchard
11-25-2002, 06:22 PM
Wow, that's a creative marriage proposal! Will they want to use your car in the wedding procession, Charley? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Both of your cars looked great there. And what a surprise to see the Ken Barnhart cars there; a surprise to me that an original owner ZL1 is only 20 miles from my home. I had no idea /ubbthreads/images/icons/blush.gif

I'm certainly learning a lot of interesting things from this site.

ORIGLS6
11-25-2002, 11:14 PM
Charley,
That's going to make a fantastic story associated with the history of your car. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif We had just come back up-stairs Friday night when we heard the distant rumble of a certain Orange '02 ZL-1 #16. We were there when Ken and Geri pulled in. The smile on his face almost brought tears to my eyes. Then the latest version of #3 arrived. WOW! These things just keep getting better.
Most of the guys in our group had the pleasure of seeing the '69/'02 car display and to talk with you all. There were many comments about how friendly and accessible you and Barnhart were. You have some new fans!
Bill Pritchard, it was a pleasure to finally meet you. I wish we had more time to spend with all the folks on this site. Thanks also to Cap't. Carl, Kevin Hand, and to Gary, Robin and Logan Holub for taking the time to stop and say Hi. And a special Thank You to my travelling companion, Dennis Hartweg. It was a special week-end.

P.S. Thanks for the photos, Charley. We always look forward to your shots from the shows.

Charley Lillard
11-25-2002, 11:43 PM
You can talk to Barnhart but don't leave your Kids alone near him... /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Mr70
11-26-2002, 02:04 PM
I enjoyed meeting all of from this site as well.I wish I had more time to talk indepth with some of you.
Ken B. & Charley's 2002 & 1969 Camaro's were definately on my don't miss list.
Anybody seen my 6 yearold nephew? /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

DarrenX33
11-26-2002, 05:34 PM
I second that! Everyone I ran into at the show was really nice and didn't mind talking to me. This is a great group. Thanks to everyone. Now looking forward to the next event.
/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

hvychev
11-27-2002, 04:14 AM
I had my best time ever at this years show. Loaded with sYc members cars and guest appearences. Everybody was great. Memorable displays were the 4 70 Chevelle SS cars, Dennis H's Gibb COPO, and best of all the Berger Display. I have never met Barnhart and my half hour conversation with him was worth the trip alone!! The most amazing stories. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif BTW thanks <font color="blue"> </font color> Rick N for checking out my Chevelle!

SS427
11-27-2002, 11:36 AM
BTW thanks Rick N for checking out my Chevelle!

Hey, no sweat Frank. I enjoy looking at cars that have not been butchered or have 10 repaints. That car has definite potential, all it takes is $$$ /ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif . As soon as you get me that paperwork, I will get started and take a road trip as soon as possible.

11-27-2002, 01:39 PM
Had a great time as well. Dennis Barker is a nut! I felt like I did a hundred sit-ups listening to him laugh! I am sure he had a hefty bar bill as well (on the Berger credit card)! Good to finally see the car (02 ZL-1 car) almost finished. I loved it so much I bought Holub's #2 garnet red car. What the he-- am I thinking! Had alot of great conversation with some board members also. Highlight for me was meeting Helen and Nancy Gibb. Matt Murphy brought them over to the car and had some pics taken, and Helen signed my car. Great people, and Helen is sharp as a tack! Mine and Holubs kid also had a little fun on the side. Seems they found a green marker and X'd their hands to get in free to the miss teen pageant that was going on in the hotel! Boy was I proud! He saved 25 bucks! Congrats Tim on the funnycar. Probably have alot of buyers at $27500 now! Rob, can you post a couple of pics for me? Thanks.

Rat_Pack
11-27-2002, 04:33 PM
Dave, are you proud he saved $25 or proud because he realizes there is more to life than the cars? /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif ...................RatPack...................

11-27-2002, 05:20 PM
I am just glad that now he knows that when you are done looking at the cars, there are other sights to behold. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Chevy454
11-27-2002, 05:32 PM
From Belky:

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/25111-DB1.jpg

Chevy454
11-27-2002, 05:35 PM
And, the money shot...

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/25112-DB2.jpg

ORIGLS6
11-27-2002, 09:51 PM
That is one special photo! I've had the extreme pleasure of talking with the Gibb ladies a number of times over the past few months and they are exactly what we saw in Chicago...A CLASS ACT! Let's hope they're enjoying this half as much as we are.

Chevy454
12-05-2002, 04:09 PM
Pictures of Dennis Hartweg's 1968 Gibb Nova:

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/25900-HARTWEG1.jpg

Chevy454
12-05-2002, 04:10 PM
Next one:

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/25901-HARTWEG2.jpg

Chevy454
12-05-2002, 04:11 PM
Another one:

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/25902-HARTWEG3.jpg

Chevy454
12-05-2002, 04:11 PM
Number 4:

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/25903-HARTWEG4.jpg

Chevy454
12-05-2002, 04:13 PM
Still more:

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/25904-HARTWEG5.jpg

Chevy454
12-05-2002, 04:14 PM
And, the money shot:

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/25906-HARTWEG6.jpg

68TopStock
12-05-2002, 04:28 PM
/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif
I feel like a big brother proud of his kid brothers game!

ORIGLS6
12-05-2002, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the pix Rob. I was lucky enough to be there when the car rolled out of the trailer for the first time. It's a beautiful piece! IMO, the car should have brought home a Top Gun Award. Maybe I'm just a little partial to FG cars. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif And those two lifesized characters in the last shot make for quite a display! ! !

JoeC
12-05-2002, 05:16 PM
very nice Nova! /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

SS427
12-05-2002, 05:27 PM
Got to meet both owner and car for the first time at VF. Both were great! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif These Gibb owners are something else.

Being a Gibb car had nothing to do with it Dennis, that restoration was worthy of a Top Gun award. Very well displayed as well. Next year???

copo9566aa
12-05-2002, 05:35 PM
Cool Nova what color it is.

ORIGLS6
12-05-2002, 05:38 PM
The color is Grecian Green. These particular cars came in four colors only; Matador Red, Tripoli Turquoise, Grecian Green and Fathom Blue.
Hey DH, the spotlight is on! /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif Where are you?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
12-05-2002, 05:39 PM
Those GG-G Novas are the Bomb! Boy do I like those 'off' colors. That is a beautiful car Dennis, can't wait to see it in person at an event. I will be all over it, even more so than I was with your FB-GH Nova at last years reunion.

I like those bucket seats, they have the release on the side too, are those part of the deluxe interior package? I can't see the radio, did the car still have the radio delete dash bezel? If not, I bet that was a hard item to find, I've only seen one and it wasn't cheap. So many questions, so few cars to answer them!

copo9566aa
12-05-2002, 06:18 PM
Thanks
Grecian Green H-H it's only a 68 color.???

68l30
12-05-2002, 08:17 PM
YDR, bucket seat side release is std. in 68.

Steve

L78Impala
12-06-2002, 05:09 AM
Dennis, thanks for taking time to talk with us. I enjoyed your car and the opportunity to chat with you.

hvychev
12-07-2002, 04:58 AM
Dennis I loved to talk to you as well Awesome car and what a nice display of memrobilia as well. /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

68 COPO II
12-07-2002, 01:13 PM
Rob, thanks for posting the pics.
Also, thanks to everyone for your compliments on the Gibb COPO #15. The EX "Dueces Wild" race car is a 27,000 mile, original matching number engine car which I bought from Kim Howie about two years ago. Kim had this car stored for over ten years and during that time located and purchased the original engine. Former owner and Iowa drag racer Tommy Johnson SR. also had the original radiator in his speed shop which Kim reunited with the car.
Marlin-The car does have its original radio delete bezel. The VF was the first show for the car. It was finished by C and V Classic Restorations in Webb City, MO on Wednesday and unloaded at VF on Friday AM.
The display items included original Drag World ads about the car which I rec'd from Helen Gibb and Ken Boje.
The large show sign was done by Dennis Cumby. (What can't this guy do?)Thanks to all three for your help.
It was a pleasure meeting many members and hearing their comments on the car. Tim Lopata, Frank M, Ricky Smith, Kevin Hand, Dave Belk, Gary Holub, Bill M, Jeff L, Rick N, Rick P, Bob J, Dean, Chad and Matt Murphy.
Dennis, Joel, Rick N, Dean and Chad thanks for the help unloading and loading.
Oh, I can't forget those Latrobe guys. In two minutes, Brian and Joe pointed out four details we missed or didn't know. Those items are being fixed as we speak. Thanks for your help.
LaHarpe Mayor Kenny Brown and Herb Fox showed up on Saturday. Herb said he rec'd the first Gibb COPO Nova and spent the following days doing demo rides in front of the dealership. Herb said he did about fifty burnouts a day with the car. Nothing sells a factory hot rod like a good burnout !!!!
Helen and Nancy made the weekend complete when they stopped by on Sunday. Its always a pleasure to see and visit with them.
Thanks again to all!!!