PDA

View Full Version : Supercars aren't just for baby boomers!

82z96ss
11-29-2002, 07:27 AM
Twenty something and bought my 2nd camaro. It is my COPO, Yenko, Baldwin Motion, etc. of modern times. I hope to be picking up my future supercar classic before christmas.

Yes, you got it a new 2002 Yellow in and out ZL1 #46 Camaro. /ubbthreads/images/icons/ooo.gif

Who else is showing support for the new American Supercars? Don't be afraid let us know! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif Just wanting to see who the other 67 folks are.

/ubbthreads/images/icons/smirk.gif Baby boomers you got to have some respect for modern muscle. LS1's running as fast as big blocks, LS6's running faster than the big blocks, and C5R big block's pushing old big blocks to the finish lines while still winning. I'm not starting a flame war, just saying you have to give respect to get respect. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Saying that, all hail Yenko, Baldwin Motion, COPO, etc and long live Chevy Muscle. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Salvatore
11-29-2002, 01:48 PM
82Z/96SS welcome to the sight. I am new and I don't know anybody on this sight, but I my self am not against the NEW muscle. I don't think that I ever remember seeing a D/S 69 camaro running a 10.40 ever, like I did at the Dutch Classics this year. Those new 350's fly, no question! It took about 25 years for GM,Ford,etc to catch up to the old dayson performance. Us 50 year olds are remembering our youth and what we had back then. There was a place in time for us and I know for me after raising 4 kids, I now have some ability and time to rekindle the old days and bring a little of my youth back. The 57 chevy guys graduated to the 63 chevys inturn graduated to the 67 chevys, and then finally the camaros and chevelles and novas we mess with today. It all comes out in the end. I am going to contact you in about 25 years, just to see if you still have that old 2002 outdated camaro. I will send my grandson with his battery powered 1200lb. chevy rocket to dust your doors in! But remember, we will respect the New muscle. It is all in which you want to do. I would love to have a new BERGER camaro. #1 I dont have 50,000, and #2 if I did I would buy a 1968 or 69 big block nova and put 20,000 back into the bank. That is just me though. Bring that car over I would love to go for a ride. I know they are really fast. I guess the model "A" guys really feel left out. Sam

82z96ss
11-30-2002, 12:45 PM
You are right Sam, which happens to be my son's name- cool.

THen I'll be the one complaining about the kids of the future, having no idea about where there roots came fom.

I can hear myself know "hey sonny -with cracklin voice- those rocket thanga ma jiggers ain't no race car. Make in my day we drove real muscle cars: WS6, SS, Bergers, ZL1 etc... " Woah I better stop, I'm scaring myself. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

GRB
11-30-2002, 05:56 PM
I think we are near the end of muscle cars as we know them if for no other reson than the enviro-radicals will eventually get gas reformulated to the point that it will be of no use to anything but moped. Yeah, we'll probably be able to buy additives to make the gas usable but at what cost? Those of us who love muscle cars are a small, unvocal minority. We will eventually cave to the radicals. We have no voice to speak of.

Salvatore
11-30-2002, 08:39 PM
We all can preserve this thing, if we stick together. I have 4 boys, and my youngest soon to be 17 goes to the car shows and drags with me. The biggest difference I see in the kids today is that we were changing cams and carbs in the old days, where they are changing paint graphics and sound systems. None of these kids can afford a corvette, and if you don't like mustangs, there is not really anything to buy!!! When I was making $5.00 an hour, and cars cost $3,000, that was much easier to fathom than when I am making $35.00 an hour and cars, (like the camaros and firebirds) cost $35-$40,000 each. This is why my 22 year old and his buddies mess with the rice burners. One third the price, and with some over the counter parts they run in the 13's easy. One catch though: I don't let them park those tin cans on my property!! Ha-Ha Sam 1969 RS/Z28

82z96ss
12-01-2002, 12:23 PM
That's great Sam, way to set the rules straight. I personally have a sign saying Camaro Parking only. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

Who knows in 10 years I might be the first person on here that argues with the old timers about my Hybrid, 10 24 cell y connected, 28 inch rims, does the block in 11 seconds and can travel 1 hour and 43 minutes 29 seconds on a single charge is not concerned the modern muscle. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Honestly I tried the rice seen with a Honda S2000 for about a year put the pull back to the camaro's were to strong to resist. So sold that one and getting the ZL1.

So who else is getting one of the GMMG <font color="yellow"> </font color> ZL1 beside me and GRB.

Charley Lillard
12-01-2002, 02:35 PM
I'm getting one. Belk is getting 2. Supercars is getting one. Reggie Jackson is getting one. There are a few of us that are getting them...

Stefano
12-01-2002, 02:45 PM
Clill,
How many of the total 69 production will be Phase III?
How about, Potterfield, Barnhardt, Holub, Hand, Campbell, they all ordered Phase III's too didn't they?

What is the option list for the Phase III?

shor
12-01-2002, 02:55 PM
How much are the new ones? Is #38 spoken for?

69rsss350
12-01-2002, 03:16 PM
Shor, are you out of the closet? Does this mean you are the new owner of ZL1 #38? /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Charley Lillard
12-01-2002, 04:10 PM
Yes the above mentioned names are getting one with the exception of Holub. It seems Belk talked Holub out of his. Barnharts has the very rare option of optional Child restraint seats bolted into the Trunk. Nice to see you out of the Closet on 38 Shor :-). As of right now they are all spoken but someone may fall out. Right now about 26 are scheduled for the C5R 427. We need to be very clear that the cars are sold with the ZO6 Corvette engine as that is what is Emissions Certified. The cars are then retrofit by GMMG with the 427. The base price with the Z06 engine is about 54K. The C5R 427 is another 25K. You want leather, Custom 1969 paint, etc ? Hp on the 427 is supposed to be about 600. If you heard Barnharts C5R with open Headers at Vettefest you couldn't help but want one. The open Headers help muffle the sounds of the Kids yelling from inside his Trunk also.

Stefano
12-01-2002, 11:42 PM
So which one is quicker, Barnhardt's full Boogie '69 ZL1 or '02 ZL1? (Sans the Kids)

82z96ss
12-02-2002, 11:09 AM
The number went up with the C5R motors. I started with getting the phase 2 but decided to go with the 427.

Any one else getting yellow in and out?

Chevy454
12-02-2002, 12:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>
So which one is quicker, Barnhardt's full Boogie '69 ZL1 or '02 ZL1?

<hr></blockquote>

I'm gonna have to say his "old school" ride is quicker. I believe he ran a 10.70 on me at SCR5 and lifted early.