PDA

View Full Version : RE: BEWARE!!!!

mhassett
12-05-2002, 07:38 PM
After 9 months of waiting we have purchased the 69 lemans blue Yenko chevelle from James Barry out of Melbourne Florida area.We are waiting for delivery when we received a call from copolocater this morning that he is trying to sell this car to other website members.He has a large deposit of ours and were going to pay the remainder on delivery. We hope that anybody else that has put a deposit on this car please - Be CAREFUL!We have no problem with anybody trying to get the most money out of their car but to take a deposit and then try to resale the car to someone else just isn't a proper way to do business.At least not our way. I have e-mailed him (8) times in the last few days and (7) calls to his home in Florida and STILL NO RESPONSE!!! Don't UNDERSTAND any of This, Mark /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

MotownMadman
12-05-2002, 08:37 PM
I have heard similar things about this guy before, I would be on a plane to Florida to get money or car, and maybe a lesson in manners as well! /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

sixtiesmuscle
12-05-2002, 08:52 PM
That's unforgivable. I suggest to all the members that NO ONE do a deal on this car. These are the kind of things where we have to stick together. A deal is a deal, and, we shouldn't get in the middle unless we're willing to have it done to us. I hope you get the deal completed to your satisfaction Mark.

12-05-2002, 09:12 PM
Mark, I am the other guy! Had no idea until I made the offer on the car. James told me you had first crack at the car. I told him that was fine. If you backed out I was next. He did not feel you were going to pay over a certain amount. He never indicated to me you had money down! Count me out! Thats pretty sneaky!

T Billigen
12-05-2002, 09:20 PM
Dave, is there anything out there you're not buying??? Ha! Ha!

sixtiesmuscle
12-05-2002, 09:21 PM
Way to go Dave. Now I know all those things Holub said about you aren't true.

Rat_Pack
12-05-2002, 09:21 PM
Mark, you are not the first and won't be the last that has been or could possibly be taken for a ride by this guy. A friend of mine lost a bunch of money on a bogus Vette deal about 3 years ago with this guy. He was told by James that he had a Nickey Corvette and they agreed upon a price, sent the deposit and never saw the car. I am not sure if he ever got his deposit back or not.

I agree with Mike, if this guy really does have this Chevelle then everyone should pass on it. Bet he doesn't have it though................RatPack..................

mhassett
12-05-2002, 09:26 PM
Thanks for coming forward with this--I went to Florida LAST APRIL to Mr. Berry's house and we MADE the DEAL and AGREED on a FIGURE and I gave him a Check for the Deposit and Delivery was to be when the Restoration was Completed. The car is done and has been done and (3) Weeks ago he asked for MORE MONEY I went MORE MONEY and on November 16th he e-mailed me that he was checking his schedule DELIVER the Car to me (I was EVEN letting him USE MY TRUCK and MY NEW TRAILER for Delivery.) ALSO I was PAYING his Air FARE!!!! I did hear some rumors of him trying to sell it from out under me BUT He DENIED that and just spoke with my Wife and confirmed the car was OURS. Now he has been AVOIDING Me for Days. Last e-mail was 11/16 Please HONOR OUR DEAL James Berry and at LEAST have the DECENCY to call me or e-mail me. MONEY-MONEY MONEY is the ROOT of ALL EVIL---This is NOT Right--as this car was MINE in APRIL.....I am NOT MAD at any other Board Members that he might have contacted as I am SURE you guys did not Know all this. Mark

70 copo
12-05-2002, 09:33 PM
Mark,

As you know you paid me to travel to Florida, paid me to examine and authenticate the the blue Yenko Chevelle, and later to look for a replacement car for Mr. Barry when he stipulated that you would "Need to find me a replacement car". You then again paid me to conduct a nationwide search for a listing of several types of prospective cars that Mr. Barry had provided to you. When I found him one of the cars I E-Mailed him informing him of the find. He stated he would want to replace the Yenko when he sold it to you, I then informed Mr Barry of the general location of the car (67 BB Indy Pace car) and a discription only. You later told me you questioned Mr. Barry If he found the 67 camaro to be to his liking. You then informed me that Mr. Barry stated to you that He had attempted to call the owner of the car I had located for him-several times- but could not reach him... . This seems really strange as I never provided the name of the owner or a phone number of where to call. Stay far- far away from this guy no ethics. Mark, looks like you wasted quite a bit of money on him and got nothing in return.

Phil /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/mad.gif

MotownMadman
12-05-2002, 09:38 PM
Mark, If you have a substantial deposit I would be more than happy to go collect for a nominal fee. /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

mhassett
12-05-2002, 10:17 PM
What REALLY makes me MAD is that I passed on other cars last spring because I bought (I thought) James Berry's Yenko!! When I was at Chevy Vette Fest (1) year ago My Chevelle L-89 was Behind Chuck Hubler's Orange Yenko and I really liked his car. Right before I was going to make an offer on Hublers, I got involved with Berry's Yenko.. What a Mistake (Coulda - Woulda - Shoulda!!) Hubler's is one of the nicest restored Chevelle's I've seen. Lucky guy who bought it!!! Mark

rich p
12-05-2002, 10:38 PM
Post deleted by rich p

Belair62
12-06-2002, 12:08 AM
Isn't Mr. Barry a member of this site ?

bkhpah
12-06-2002, 01:41 AM
I told you Mark. I think you love to get screwed...BKH

mhassett
12-06-2002, 02:46 AM
Brian, You are right I have found some Crazy Owners of cars for sale--New Jersey, Pa (black car). When I agree to give someone what they are asking then it seems too easy for them and then they want more. You and some of the other guys did try to warn me but I really believed that it was my car and he would deliver it to me, even up to (3) weeks ago when he said he was checking his schedule to see when he could deliver the car. He asked for MORE MONEY and I went MORE and NOW I find out that all the while he was e-mailing and calling other people on the car. Mark

68l30
12-06-2002, 02:50 AM
Sounds like a RAW deal to me.. /ubbthreads/images/icons/mad.gif Good luck Mark,I hope you can get this resolved soon.

Steve

12-06-2002, 02:53 AM
Mark, I had to do a "quickie" post before. Had to leave because I keep score at the high school wrestling meets. Heres the story. I was told James may be interested in selling his car, I e-mailed him and asked. He returned my e-mail and indicated an asking price of 140k. He then e-mailed photos to me. We negotiated a price. After all this he mentions to me that he promised Mark H. he would give him first shot at the car. I said fine, let me know. He also said Mark would probably not be interested in an amount over 100k. I said if Mark passes let me know. He never once mentioned the car was held or especially that there had already been agreements made. I have not heard from him since. This transpired the first and second week of November. What a punk. Sounds like he needs a a$$ whippin. Sorry, still pumped up from the wrestling!

mhassett
12-06-2002, 03:25 AM
Dave, Oh MY GOD--We AGREED on $100,000 last APRIL!! DIRECT QUOTE from HIS E-mail--11/08 Mark, A big collector offered me $130,000 for the car. I am getting tired of him calling me about it--if you want contact me and lets work something out Right Away before the word gets out and this gets out of hand. Dave he asked for MORE MONEY and I went MORE MONEY and he ACCEPTED (again) and said he would check his schedule to see when he could Deliver the car. 11/16 DIRECT QUOTE from his e-mail--Mark I am still working on my schedule, I will try and have it ironed out by the first of the week. Dave, that is the last contact we have had with him. Meanwhile there was another board member who told me James was trying to sell him the car also. Well this member said Mark Hassett is looking for a Yenko Chevelle and James told this member that I came and looked at it. Mark

BBIGG BLOCK 396
12-06-2002, 03:52 AM
Sounds very crooked to me.I am like motown,I would go collect my money or my car!! and maybe a litte ass to boot!
A deal is a deal,especially the way I was raised and where I come from.Hope all works out for you and you get the car you want.

Bobby

12-06-2002, 03:55 AM
Mark, I asked James what it would take to buy the car and his response was 130k. I never agreed to it. As far as bugging him about the car, we talked once, and he e-mailed me 4 times!

mhassett
12-06-2002, 04:12 AM
Dave, I don't know if this went thru so I'll say it again, he never said a name, he just said a big collector, then right after that he asked for More Money.. I APPRECIATE your HONESTY!! Thanks, Mark

Charley Lillard
12-06-2002, 04:42 AM
Mark...I had something similar happen to me. Cliff Lipke in Colorado Ripped me off on a Pace car he was supposedly Restoring for me. I ended up hiring a Private Detective to go find my car. Wasted about 11K getting it back...Long Story... I can put you in touch with the Detective if you like. I feel for you . I lost alot of sleep over that and still get very angry thinking about it. I remember having Dinner with he and his Wife and they both assure me there was only about 40 hours worth of work left to do. Ended up about 70K in the car and sold it as a car that needed finishing for 40K and took 2 cars in trade on it. A Crook is a Crook, hopefully your Guy is just a Flake. I would call a PI or Attorney soon. I tried to call the Police but they said it was a Civil Case. Or maybe Rich P and Friends can go see him. Don't let any more time pass.

MotownMadman
12-06-2002, 05:39 AM
Mark, I was not kidding around in my earlier post, I am getting on to being an old guy now, but I had a colorful younger life, lets just say I am associated with a MC club that has residence in Florida, just say the word and I am quite sure that we could legally and quickly get your money back, wont cost you much over expenses, no fee unless collection is made. I really feel for you as I have been ripped off before, it is not just the money, that comes and goes, the greatest loss is one more notch in the loss of faith in humanity. This jerks actions towards you will affect your trust and perspective on other people and other business transactions the rest of your life. It has to come full circle and be corrected or many people will suffer over the actions of one. If I can be of any assistance in any way send me a PM, if this guy is allowed to pull this off he will no doubt do it again to someone else, over and over again until he is stopped. On a legal note, which I happen to know something about for reasons that are not important right now, your transaction took place across state lines, no doubt through the mail or through federally insured financial institution, therefore his fraud becomes a federal crime, civil and criminal. If you used the mail it is automatically mail fraud, and all FDIC financial institutions(in the case of wire transfer of funds)come under federal jurisdiction. You do have options here to stop this fool, as I said, if I can be of any assistance feel free to contact me. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

bkhpah
12-06-2002, 11:34 AM
I have lots of 'Interesting" storys about this clown. He has called me numerous times lying to us. What is way too cool is he does not remember our faces as he tells us in person about his plans. A total scam. I have seen him lie to some of the best people in the hobby...BKH

Mr70
12-06-2002, 04:09 PM
Hi Mark,,,I met you at Vettefest two weeks ago.This is not good to hear.I heard through the grapevine as well there was a Yenko Chevelle for sale in Titusville Fla.I was making some more inquiries about it,and have still heard nothing back.Now I read your story and it fits the description.There better be a good resolution to this.This is not good ethics on James Berry's part.I believe he is a member here as well and goes by James Berry. [email protected] we have any members around TitusVille Fla.? /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

copolocater
12-06-2002, 05:05 PM
Rick Fagan owner CLASSIC & MUSCLECAR SUPER STORES no longer employs James Berry.He worked there for a few days hacked a couple cars and left with some of Ricks good camaro/chevelle parts.Rick from the Melbourne area has asked me to relay this message.

mc25t190
12-06-2002, 09:33 PM
why do these people exist? this is an enjoyable hobby with some mighty nice people. why do they try to muddy the water, to take away from such a wonderful hobby! i heard the whole story from mark at vettefest. did he cash the check? if so , /////////////, what goes around comes around.

mc25t190
12-06-2002, 09:40 PM
mark, i am very sorry this has happened, your misfortune made me wind up with chucks chevelle. if i could wind the clock back, this chevelle would be yours, instead of mine. you are to good for this hobby for this to happen to. if i ever sell mine you are on top of the list! i love that car!
kevin <font color="blue"> </font color>

T Billigen
12-06-2002, 10:28 PM
Just for the record, I looked at this car two times a couple of years ago. From the pics he sent me he did not restore it back to the way it was originally. This car should have a vinyl roof and black cloth bench seat interior. It has an extra mirror (passenger side)427 emblems are mounted incorrectly and it sits to high. When I looked at it the second time, my body man came along and recomended that due the deteriorated condition that it should be rebodied. ( worse condition than the green Yenko in Wisconsin that sits outside all year long!) I have a tracing of the cowl tag, does anyone have the current cowl tag data that we can compare? As shady as this fellow is he may have tampered with the information.

rich p
12-07-2002, 05:11 AM
Anything in writting ?? Plus a piece of paperwork with Vin
BUYERS AGREEMENT This means everything or nothing at all in this world !! Lots of scum
1)Contract 2)Lawyer And I think you would have a case
/ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

mhassett
12-07-2002, 12:38 PM
Thanks for all the comments and e-mails--I am out Actual Money only a couple thousand dollars and a Lesson Learned!! I guess now that these SuperCars are (6) figures that you need a contract versus a hand-shake. Guys are getting a little too greedy and it seems like we are all fighting for the same cars. Thanks, Mark /ubbthreads/images/icons/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/blush.gif

T Billigen
12-07-2002, 02:43 PM
I think we should use this forum to exchange info on these cars we locate and are interested in buying. This would have really helped out in this scenario. For example, if Mark would have made a post stating "Does anyone know the history/background on the Yenko Chevelle owned by James Berry?" The info does not need to be posted, it could be e-mailed to the member and this would certainly have helped in his decision making. Even the owners integrity would have been disclosed. As members of this forum we should stick together. With the way these prices are going an informed decision is a must! This way fellow members are aware of your interest in persueing the car and would hopefully not try to be "a cut-throat". This registry is a great tool and we should better utilize it to make informed decisions. Just my opinion....

mc25t190
12-07-2002, 03:21 PM
tom,
i couldn't agree more. we are all after the same cars, but, thats why everyone keeps there mouth shut when they find one or someone else slides in, but thats going to happen. he who acts first and quickest gets the car. private emails with those you can trust that won't backdoor you i see is the only way.
i have had a deal with a member on this board that has changed 3 times, not by me, jerked me around, someone else is after the car and my deal keeps changing. the other person on this board is also after the same car. needless to say i haven't given up any $ money. its not worth my time to play the games. integrity is everything and when you compromise that, you're done. it's a shame! i do not wish to disclose the details, i just sit and wonder why, i'm not upset with the other guy trying to buy the car, just the seller, the other guy just wants the car! like i say its not worth the time to compromise my integrity. this will eventually come around to haunt the seller.