PDA

View Full Version : B/M Phase III

CJP_69
12-26-2002, 11:40 PM
Does anyone know the whereabouts of the 69 rallye green phase III Camaro from Otis Chandler's collection? What type of mirrors were used on those B/M cars?

Rat_Pack
12-27-2002, 04:50 AM
Don't know what happened to that car, I thought he still had it. The mirrors are from a 69 Mustang..............RatPack...................... .

CJP_69
12-27-2002, 01:40 PM
The car isn't listed on the "chandlerwheels" website for the Vintage Auto Museum as part of their current musclecar inventory. I was wondering if the car was sold.

shor
12-27-2002, 04:02 PM
The current owner has turned down 250 for it.

JoeC
12-27-2002, 09:23 PM
That is the Mexican Motion Camaro. Joel R told me when they ordered it they also ordered a 69 427 Motion Chevelle. Joel was told to put a trailer hitch on the back of the Chevelle and a tow bar setup on the front of the Camaro. Then a Mexican guy came in to pick them up and drove the Chevelle away with the Camaro in tow. I think they were brought to the dock and sent to Mexico by ship.

mhassett
12-27-2002, 09:50 PM
Is this the car???

JoeC
12-27-2002, 09:57 PM
That looks like it. I think it had alu slot wheels on it when it left Motion.

sixtiesmuscle
12-27-2002, 10:05 PM
O.K. Mark, where is that picture from? Ashtabula?

Stefano
12-28-2002, 12:47 AM
Wasn't the last time those two cars were together when Ottis had them, in his collection?

hvychev
12-28-2002, 01:36 AM
If the car had aluminum slots on it when it was delivered new from Motion then why would someone restore it otherwise?
Their is nothing wrong with ralleys for a stock appearing/concourse car but the Baldwin/Motion cars were day 2 to the extreme. It would be "incorrect" for a day 2 car to have ralleys IMO.

Awesome car none the less!!

CJP_69
12-28-2002, 02:56 AM
Nice picture Mark. Thanks for the post. That has to be one of the baddest Camaros ever built. I've read earlier posts on the header to sidepipe connections but was wondering if there were any photos out there showing this.

COPO
12-28-2002, 12:38 PM
There are a couple of articles in CARS magazine showing the header to sidepipe connection on Motion cars. The two methods were to tap the header on the side of the collector with the end of the collector capped with a plate. This would make it easy to uncap the headers at the track. The other method was to connect a custom "S" pipe from the end of the collector to the side pipe. Neither method was terribly efficient flow wise, but the side exhaust sure looks and sounds good. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

JoeC
12-28-2002, 01:45 PM
Not sure why the Mexican Motion Camaro has Rally wheels on it now but I saw the Motion work order sheet for it and it had mag wheels on the parts list. The green Motion LS6 Chevelle that was in the Chandler collection also had stock wheels on it. I thought that was odd since a wheel change was usually done on the Motion cars.

shor
12-28-2002, 01:56 PM
It would be a real treat to see that car at our annual supercar reunion. Does anyone know the current owner? Would he or she be interested in attending?

mhassett
12-28-2002, 02:06 PM
When I bought my '68 MOTION CAMARO someone had bought New Rally Wheels from Chevrolet in the late '70's and put them on. I know of at least (5) more Motion cars with rally wheels. I am sure they came with custome wheels. Maybe when the custom wheels got bad they put rally wheels on them to match the spare?? I put the cragars back on my '68. As for the attachment Stephano is right, that is my NEW Yenko Camaro pictured with the green Motion. It was taken when Otis Chandler owned both cars. Mark /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

whitetop
12-28-2002, 03:15 PM
The reason guys put stock wheels back on the Motion cars is out of ignorance. They see the cars that are restored with stock wheels sell for more than modified ones so they put the rally wheels back on the car thinking they are doing the right thing. However, with the Motion cars it is the other way around. The cars are worth more with the correct custom wheels. Also, many people still are in the anal restoration mode the magazines have pushed over the last 10-15 years. They feel any change from stock will have the restoration police calling at their door. Too many sheep in this hobby. Guess this attitude keeps companies like American Racing in business selling all those belly button polished torq thrust. The green '69 ran Ansen slots when new.

AutoInsane
12-28-2002, 04:19 PM
This is the car from the cover of the book American Muscle.

shor
12-28-2002, 07:33 PM
Yes, but the hardcover only. The softcover edition of the same book features a Hemi engine on thr cover.

CJP_69
12-28-2002, 10:22 PM
Any of these Cars issues floating around? Were these connection pipes routed off the collector, then inside the subframe rail, passing in front of it then out to the sidepipe? Is there clearance for that, between the collector and the rail? Or were these pipes run around the rear of the rail?

Charley Lillard
12-29-2002, 02:05 AM
I sold Kevin "Supercars" a NOS set of Kustom Headers for a sidepipe Big block Camaro. Maybe he can post a pic.

olredalert
12-29-2002, 03:28 AM
------I wonder if any of the tooling from Kustom is still around?Cant figure out how they went out of business with all the money I gave them over the years.They made a good product.I havent lived here in Michigan all that long but ought to be able to find out something about that.........Bill S....ol red!

MotownMadman
12-29-2002, 10:55 AM
Joe, I have a august 85 issue of Car review that has an article on this Camaro when it was owned by the second owner after leaving Mexico. There is a copy of the original window sticker that is readable under a magnifying glass, I will post here what is ledgable to my eyes.
Phase III SS427 Camaro
4.56 Rear
Custom Interior
Rally Sport
::::;Drive Fan?
Operating Conv Group?
H.D. Battery
Special Bumper
Console
Tinted Glass
Aux Lights
AM Radio
Rear Spoiler
Comfort Tilt Wheel
Daytonna 3BBL Carb
Gear Drive Injector
Racing Cam and Kit
Full Schiefer Assy? (Alum Flywheel)
High RPM Shutoff
Hurst Shifter
Super Bite Suspension
Special Headers (Loose)
Side Mounted Exhaust
Duel Electric Fuel Pumps
Fibreglass Hood and Scoop
Wood Wheel
Hood Mounted Tach (Scratched Out Deleted Initialed)
Oil, Water, Amp Gauges
Weld Rear Axle Tubes
Anson Sprint Wheels
Goodyear Indy Tires
Raise Car For Tires
Mach I Mirrors
Phase III Striping
Special Drag Front Tires
8.90/9 Inch Tires
Hood Locks Installed
C/D Ignition $175.00
Front Tow Hitch Fabrication
Free Wheeling Tow Hubs
Chevelle Tow Hitch Installed
R/S Emblems (Both Cars)
Tow Bar
High Performance cam Shaft.
no warranty
Sold To: Roberto Schneider 124379N575518
2436 Laura 7/8/70
Chihuahua, Mexico Rallye Green
$8520.10
NY inspection
In Transit Permit 10.00
Total Cash Price $8530.10
Storage 800.00
Total $9330.10

Hope this help some of the questions for those interested.
Thanks,
Motown /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

TDW
12-29-2002, 11:46 AM
Bill....I did some reasearch on Kustom not too long ago. They were here in Flint, working out of a small shop for a while. They then moved the operation to Sanford Mi. The guy that ran the place in Sanford was a friend of a local interior guy named Gary Benway,AKA The Mad Pleater. No equiptment or tooling is left. Gary said he had a few mounting flanges left that had the Kustom logo stamped into them.......Tony

JoeC
12-29-2002, 01:17 PM
Motown, I was trying to think of where I saw the order sheet on that car and it must have been that MCR article that you describe.

Charley Lillard
12-29-2002, 03:15 PM
Geeze...Sell a high dollar car like that and then have the Cojones to charge 800.00 storage......

JoeC
12-29-2002, 04:05 PM
Looks like it sat at Motion a long time. The N575xxx vin is Jan or Feb 69 build date and the car was sold on 7/8/70

MotownMadman
12-29-2002, 06:59 PM
Charley, I was also wondering about the storage bill, I would say they saw this guy coming or he had more money then common sense not to be able to work around the storage bill. $800.00 was a good chunk of change back then, that would equate to almost a $3000.00 storage bill today.
Motown /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

VIPERICH
12-29-2002, 08:08 PM
the green camaro is one of the best ive ever seen.it really shouts out musclecar to me.are there any other photos of this car around?i would love to build a replica of that motion camaro.can anyone help me with more shots of this killer car.thanks also any shots of the chevelle?
thank you very much for sharing this history with me

Mr70
12-30-2002, 03:04 PM
Could he have been charged the 800.00 storage fee because he kept putting off when he would pick it up,and they got tired off preping it and waiting for him with no one to show day after day after day?..He did have to ship them all the way to Mexico,and maybe the fact that he asked for a Trailer hitch,and tow bar attached to the two cars shows the frustration he had to go through to get the cars,then taken to a ship port for coastal shipping. Just a thought...still an unusual Fee non the less.