PDA

View Full Version : Briggs Chevrolet

Dave Rifkin
12-31-2002, 02:43 PM
Whenn I was growing up I remember seeing ads fro Briggs Chevrolet that featured a 1970 Chevelle SS convertible with the wheels up and logoed with their name on the sides. Does anyone know if this was an LS6 car? Whatever happened to that car; just curious.

SS427
12-31-2002, 04:27 PM
Was this a dark colored car with if I recall a white top? I think I recently came across a photo of this car in a magazine showing the wheels up. It was not an advertisement but just a photo of two cars leaving the line. The mag was from back in the 70's. If it is the same car I am thinking of, I believe it was an LS-6 but I do not know where this car is currently.

JoeC
12-31-2002, 08:29 PM
This question has come up before and there is a wanted add for it on the draglist web site. If it is/was a real LS6 convertible with drag record holding history it would be quite a high dollar Chevelle. Good match race maddness competition for RED ALERT /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Quote from draglist......
I am trying to find photos, magazine articles, or any information on the BRIGGS CHEVROLET sponsored 1970 SS/EA Chevelle SS 454 Convertible. This famous Super Stocker was tuned and prepared by TRUPPI-KLING COMPETITION and driven by RAY ALLEN to a Super Stock championship in 1970. It also held the record in SS/EA for some time. This car was based in New Jersey and would have raced at RACEWAY PARK in ENGLISHTOWN as well as most national events throughout the US. I would love to hear from anyone who has seen or heard of this great Chevelle Super Stocker. I think the Chevelle was either dark green or dark blue with white stripes and convertible top. Thanks,

Salvatore
12-31-2002, 09:32 PM
Ray Allen was the 1970 Super Stock World Champion with the SS/EA chevelle. It was an LS6 car. I do believe that Ray Allen bought this car back and is talking about restoring it as it was raced. In 1972 I think Allen went to Pro Stock, and Claude Urevig of Canada bought the car. You could probably call Tom Kling at his race shop in N.J. He does the Pro Stock motors for Tom Martino's Pro Stock car. He may be able to tell you more. I think they are located in Lakewood, N.J. Maybe at Jesel's Shop. Sam

olredalert
12-31-2002, 10:32 PM
-------I have heard(stress heard)that the Truppi-Kling car is in a Chevelle junkyard in South Carolina.Some of you on the board know the yard.The owner of the yard himself told me this way back in 92/93.There wasnt much left and he told me he was amassing parts for the resto back then.Havent seen him in years.
-------I also have a good Corvette buddy who crewed on that car back in the day.It was an awesome car and often ran better than "Red" .Luckily wasnt in the same class as it was heavier.The cars ran in the same circles though as they both ran in New Jersey up until the time Bob Hamilton moved to Florida in 74........Bill S.......ol red!

hvychev
01-01-2003, 08:20 AM
ol red is that yard called Billy Bobs or somthing? Or is their a guy working there named Billy Bob?

Mr70
01-01-2003, 02:13 PM
I know Don Hughey down there has a Chevelle yard and parts.
His Ebay ID name ID BillyBoBHar.The stories that man can tell... /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

olredalert
01-01-2003, 03:23 PM
mr70,

-------You win.I didnt even know if ol Don was around anymore.Hughey auto ranch,or something like that.Remember I said rumor.As I recall his tale of the Truppi-Kling car was very plausible as well as compelling.At the time I had just gotten Red Alert out of mothballs and definetly had my hands full.I remember thinking"oh well,I cant own em all".Hope I havent opened a can of worms for Don or anyone else.........Bill S.....ol red!

ORIGLS6
01-19-2003, 06:17 PM
Don't know how I missed this thread earlier. The Briggs Chevelle has always been one of my favorite Super Stock cars. (No offense, Bill). The car was featured in Car Craft during it's HeyDays and the article included a Caricature of the car with the rear tires in a wad, exaggerated and elongated front tires still touching the ground and the front bumper three stories in the air. Not entirely unlike the way the car actually launched! I really need to dig through the old magazines and find that article. I hope the restoration story isn't just rumor; sure would be nice to see it brought back and lined up next to "Red" somewhere.
I remembered the car being Red with a Black top but I probably have it confused with another car. The Fathom Blue with White top also sounds familiar. Just too many years.

Mr70
01-19-2003, 07:28 PM
I have talked to a few people and I heard that in the 1980's Don Hughey at Hugheys Auto Ranch in S.Carolina bought an LS6 Convert.that was a reported Famous Drag Car in its Hey Day.He bought it from a Man Named Shelly from Louisianna for 5K with the understanding he wouldn't resell it,or at least give him first shot at it.Don soon sold the car in the early 1990's for 40K.Shelly,upon hearing this was so outraged,he wouldn't fork over the Buildsheet and other intresting Drag Docs and Pix for it to the new owner.I believe Don H.sold the LS6 Convert. with a Buldsheet,but Shelly has a more extensive collection of paperwork for it as well.
I don't know if this is the same Drag LS6 we are reffering to,but it does entail more research by me.I will keep digging as I may have found this Chevelles current owner today...

MotownMadman
01-19-2003, 11:35 PM
Bill, My friend was in AZ to bid on the car, whats it going to take? PM me or give me a call.
Thanks,
Motown /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

Musclecarkid
05-23-2004, 04:49 AM
Motown are you sure it was the Briggs Chevelle your friend was going to bid on? Anybody heard news lately on the car?

70 ls6 convert
07-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Does anyone know what went into this car, to make it do low 11s,i would love to hear what went into the car to make it such a winner ,thanks kris..

Salvatore
07-12-2009, 01:26 AM
Not that easy an explanation. You'll need a couple pages of info! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

Charley Lillard
07-12-2009, 05:43 AM
It is coming up for sale again . RM auction at the Petersen Museum. Los Angeles, Sept 26....Old fricken thread...Motown ?

markjohnson
07-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Well, it was an LS-6 Chevelle to start with and then add in meticulous NHRA Super Stock blueprinting. Of course, it's gonn be a runner. Your basic LS-6 Chevelle with open headers, slicks, and a good super tune is gonna fly as it is. It will be very interesting to see what that car sells for again. I would think that the economy would have a drastic effect this time around and I actually have doubts about it going over the magic million mark again this time. We'll see.

Musclecarkid
07-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Currently SS/EA runs on a 10.65 index with cars turning mid 9 second ET's. Pretty amazing for a Chevelle that tipped the scale at nearly 4000 lbs.
In their day Truppi-Kling powered cars were hard to beat. http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif