PDA

View Full Version : Yenko Deuce accident

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
01-21-2003, 09:29 PM
I have been trying for a few years to document the accident that James Spencer had while driving his Demo Deuce in '70. I have run into dead ends. Does anyone know of a website that specializes in old periodicals? I'm basically looking for any coverage that the local Canonsburg newspaper would have given this event.

Donna mae told me that she believed James had a mild stroke while driving the car one day, and that he struck a bridge abuttment - flipping the car over. I know which Yenko Deuce it was, and have done a title search on it - the owner is still Yenko Leasing, Canonsburg, PA. I have visited the junk yards surrounding Canonsburg, none of them have any old Novas left laying around, so the car is technically a 'wreck'.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome as to how to document this further.

JoeC
01-21-2003, 09:38 PM
Some libraries have the old newspapers on microfilm. You would have to do a search on it so the approximate date would help. You may find it if the news paper did an article on it. This is also a way to look for old dealership ads.

elcamino72
01-28-2003, 08:04 PM
I am from western Pa, but I wasn't born yet in 1970. The local papers around Canonsburg would have been the Washington Observer-Reporter and the papers in Pittsburgh would have been the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and the Pittsburgh Press. These are all the papers that I know of from that time period. Canonsburg themselves may have had a small paper, but it would have been just that a small paper. The dealership is/was not actually in Canonsburg itself, but rather over on route 19. Chances of finding the car in the junkyards would be slim to none, the yards around here crush 'em quick if there are no usuable parts, this especially goes for the older cars to make room for the newer cars with parts that make more money. This accident happened while this was still a relatively new car and around here, best I can tell from talking with my father and other local car guys that were around, Yenko's were not really a big deal. It seems everyone knew someone with a Yenko and sure they were fast, but no one ever thought much about them. It wasn't until later when everyone seems to have noticed exactly what they were seeing back in the later 1960's, early 1970's.

The Observer-Reporter is still in business and so is the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The Pittsburgh Press went on strike and merged with the Post-Gazette in the early 1990's.

I hope this helps some, sorry I couldn't be of much more help. BTW, where are you from? I live in Burgettstown and go to school in Indiana, Pa.

JoeC
02-03-2003, 01:03 PM
Marlin,
Was there more then one Yenko Deuce crashed? I spoke with an ex-Yenko employee who remembers another Yenko salesman who wrecked a Deuce.

bauer
02-25-2003, 10:31 PM
James Spencer's accident happened in Chicago. Wreck was brought back to Canonsburg and was behind garage for a couple of years then sent to salvage yard.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-26-2003, 12:11 PM
Bauer;
I have heard that as well. Donna Mae told me it was on Rt. 19 in Canonsburg, John Durago (sp?) told me it was in Chicago. I show two Deuces wrecked, maybe both stories are true?? I'll keep searching!

JoeC
02-26-2003, 12:50 PM
Welcome to the site Bauer.
I have Bill Bauer in my notes as service manager at Yenko?
any relation?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-26-2003, 01:35 PM
JoeC;
Same here, but my notes say parts manager - same thing?

MotownMadman
02-27-2003, 12:24 AM
Marlin, I personally saw a Deuce dropped into a crusher in San Ysidro Ca in 1982, just north of the Mexican border were that guy shot up the McDonalds. The car was smacked and stripped, I had thought about saving it but figured it wouldnt be worth the cost of fixing it. Am I kicking myself? Yes, everytime I hear the word Deuce. Sorry Guys.
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
02-27-2003, 12:00 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

SYCIWISH
05-19-2003, 02:32 PM
Marlin, when we were talking in Pottstown that night I didn't tell you that I personally saw a Fathom Green Motion tuned L78 1970 Nova dropped in the crusher(actually a backhoe bucket did it ) in the past year. I tried to buy the car MANY times but he would not sell it . it still had original quarters and you could still make out the Motion stickers on the rear quarter windows. I did make off with the BE coded rear housing. I hated to see the special radiator support go also. did they only use that in 69-70? :-( ,
If you get a chance find out from your Vineland buddies who used to run the Cumberland County Fairgrounds swap meet. he's the one that wound up with one of my L-78 Novas. DAVE

sixtiesmuscle
05-19-2003, 04:01 PM
Are you saying that, as you stood there with a fair offer in your hand, the owner chose to destroy this car? And then, they let you take the "B E" rearend from it? This is quite a story, and, I'm sure we would all love to hear more.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
05-19-2003, 05:33 PM
Dave;
I'm not sure I can figure out what you're referencing there! It sounds like a Phase I or II Motion car?

The Novas did not get a BE coded rear, they were only installed in the '69 COPO Camaros. Also, if it was a '70, the rear would have three letters in the code, starting with a 'C' - maybe a 'CBE'? I know that Mr. Brady had a CBE rear on EBAY a year or two ago advertised as a COPO rear - but to my knowledge they are not from a COPO car.

Sounds like a neat story, was there something on the car other than the quarter window decal that suggested it was a Motion car? I don't know if I would trust a sticker, they were available through mail order etc... just like stickers today.

The Pottstown show was pretty good! No racing on the way home this time though.

Belair62
05-19-2003, 06:06 PM
Sixties...do you have a catalog or a magazine ?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-05-2003, 02:18 PM
BTT;
Bauer; Do you remember any more details about the car or the accident? I know that Jim Spencer was from Chicago, and that his dad owned a Packard dealership at one time. I also thought he was behind the SPAN Inc. organization. I know he was the true force behind the Yenko Deuce Novas, much like Kim Mason was for the '81 T-Z's.

I was also told that this silver Deuce was still behind the dealership in '81 or '82 when Vince bought the stuff from the dealership, is that possible?

Supercarkid, thanks for checking the local papers in the south-western PA area.