PDA

View Full Version : Motion race cars

Dave Rifkin
01-30-2003, 11:33 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew the whereabouts of the cars that were raced by Motion? I recall seeing pictures of a 1969 Camaro and at least one second generation Camaro. What would their value be approximately?

JoeC
01-30-2003, 01:17 PM
There were many Motion drag cars. Some were owned by Joel some were not. Some sponsored by Baldwin Motion until about 1973, then sponsored by Motion Performance. The value would depend on model, condition, documentation, etc. Many of them are now copied in diecast models. I have been collecting info and pictures of them for many years. I can post some info on them if anyone is interested.
Ones that I have seen in pictures are;
1963 FI Corvette "The Skunk" [diecast]
289 Cobra [diecast]
427 Cobra [diecast]
60s VW Bug (gasser class Motion Mini Car sponsored)
67 Corvette (Ko-Motion) [diecast]
67 Camaro
68 Camaro
68 Chevelle [diecast]
69 Camaro
70 Camaro [diecast]
70s? Vega
69 Camaro (red/white/blue) raced in mid 70s

The 67 Corvette was owned by Joel's friend who was killed in Viet Nam. The car was raced in his memory by Joel and family/friends of owner. It won a AHRA title then was pushed in sisters garage where it sat for 30 years. It was found and has been in magazines over the last few years. This is a common myth story to hear of solider killed in Viet Nam and car stored for 30 years but in this case it really happened.
Joel told me he is working with Ertl to do a diecast of the 63 Impala race car called "The Assassin". It was owned and raced by Joel's friend and sponsored by Motion. It ran a 283 and held many titles. I don't think it is released yet and I have not seen it on any of the diecast web sites yet so you heard it here first. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

55chevy
01-30-2003, 10:48 PM
Any info and pics of Motion products are more than welcome in my book. I collect all the pics I can also. Bring 'em on! Ed

Dave Rifkin
01-30-2003, 11:02 PM
The cars that I am referring to, that I remember seeing most, is the 1969 and 1970? Camaros that had Dennis Ferraro's name on the sides. Were these cars owned by Motion or was Motion just a sponsor? Have any of these cars been located?

MadMike
01-31-2003, 01:41 AM
Here's the KoMotion car:
http://www.motionperformance.com/komotion4.jpg

Some of the 2nd Gen Camaro race cars can be found on
http://www.motionperformance.com/motion.html

Pictures only. I have no idea where the real things are. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

hvychev
01-31-2003, 03:37 AM
JoeC or Mike. I recall reading in a previous thread that the KoMotion Vette was not a real Motion car done at Motion but done by mail order. I may be wrong about this but how could this car's pedigree be disputed since it belonged to a very dear friend of Joels and the fact that it is probably one of the most well known of the Motion cars. Like I said I may be wrong about this please refresh my memory.

BTW Mad Mike cool pic. I take it that the Vette has been fully restored. Do you know any other details of the story on how the car was found, who Found it, etc?

I wish that Joel was more willing to fill those of us in who were not there about what actually went on back in the day. He has got to be probably the most knowledgeable supercar associated wealth of knowledge around.

Mike do you think that he check's in with this board ever? He probably isn't much of a computer guy. After all isn't that why he hired you? /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

JoeC
01-31-2003, 02:13 PM
KoMotion Vette was not done by mail order. The owner was from NY and raced with Joel. You may have read it is not a real L88 Corvette but was L71 converted to L88 spec.

SuperCars
01-31-2003, 04:57 PM
Joe, you are correct that it was a L71 converted to L88. I had never heard the Mail order story either. But I'm guessing the question asked above, was if the car was built directly in Motion's shop and invoiced by Motion? I assume it was. Also, if it was a Baldwin Chevrolet delivered Vette or was it from another Dealer? Anyway, it's an awesome Vette

whitetop
01-31-2003, 05:33 PM
KO Motion Mail Order?? Ha Ha Astoria Chas could probably yell in his order to Motion from his front porch. Also this car has not been restored. It is a true survivor with original piant/markings/speed parts.

whitetop
01-31-2003, 05:45 PM
Kevin (supercars)
Saw an old '70's issue of Hot Rod with a special feature on Vette's. Small feature on a B/M Corvette that looked identical to your blue one. Was owned by a guy in Illinois? name Gary Rutherford. Was this your car?
Dave

hvychev
01-31-2003, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the clarification guys. There was some previous thread that would prompt me to make that statement. I am determined to find the post, and I have already ran a search with no luck. I will let you all know if I find it.

AutoInsane
01-31-2003, 07:13 PM
Who owns the Vette now?

Mr70
01-31-2003, 07:16 PM
What was the Magazine that recently had the article about Astoria Chas and the Ko-Motion Vette?
It was on the newstands within the last 18 months I believe. /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

TimG
01-31-2003, 07:36 PM
This car was done in the Motion shop when the new L88 was available in 1967. Vette Magazine had a great article on this car a while back with pictures of Joel and Chas at the track. Joel was under the hood of the car in one shot. This was definitely not a mail order car.

MadMike
02-02-2003, 05:48 AM
Joels a member of my board (nastyz28.com), but he never posts. He posted a couple times many years ago. He told me tonight he's planning on going to the reunion. (I don't know if he reads stuff here. I believe he pays attention to what's going on, even if he doesn't say anything)

I asked "who owned the race cars". He asked "which one?" (he's difficult) /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif...

Anyway, they were all owned by Baldwin Chevy. Joel raced the 67 camaro. There was a 68 and possibly a 69? Those were raced by Joel and "Billy" (bill. mitchell). Then came the early 70's which were raced by dennis ferrara. Those were still owned by Baldwin Chevy. Tuned by Motion. (ideal way to do it - race with OTHER peoples money). /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

SuperCars
02-02-2003, 12:00 PM
Whitetop, could you email a photo or tell me which Hot Rod issue the 69 B/M Vette is in? It must be a different car, was it a black and white photo? I have all the original paperwork on mine, original order sheet, Baldwin invoice and original title. Original owner was Richard Eyajan living in Mark Hassett's hometown of Ashtabula OH.

whitetop
02-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Kevin
I went back to look at the article. Not your car as this one has the recessed headlights.The '69 in the article was owned by a Gordon Rutherford out of Elmsford NY. Car had M/t and Pos-A-Traction tires with American Racing Daisy Mags (now called 200s). Car is Lemans blue/white stripe. Mag is in Hot Rod, July '73.
Dave

SuperCars
02-02-2003, 01:28 PM
Okay thanks Dave, that is a different one. Maybe the one owned by Darryl on this site. It is the only other Blue one I know of.

mhassett
02-02-2003, 07:03 PM
Kevin, Don't you think it's time for the MOTION CORVETTE to come back to Ashtabula???? How about it???? Mark /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

SuperCars
02-02-2003, 07:59 PM
It's on the way! /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

JoeC
02-08-2003, 02:16 PM
Some of the Motion diecast models were built from actual pictures of the Motion race cars and are very accurate in detail. I took some pictures of the diecast with an actual photo. This is a 68 Chevelle race car American Muscle diecast built from actual photo of a car that Motion built for a costumer. I never saw this one in any magazines. Very cool 68 427 Chevelle with side pipes and hood tach.
see att

JoeC
02-08-2003, 02:18 PM
This is the Motion 289 Cobra Dagon Snake diecast with a Motion post card of actual car. The diecast has a lot of detail including the markings on the slicks. Joel complained to them about using the 427 Cobra diecast body but Ertl said it was too expensive to make a new die for the 289 Cobra body. Ertl also forgot to put on the injector stacks but got the paint/decals very close to the real picture.

JoeC
02-08-2003, 02:20 PM
This is the 1970 Baldwin Motion Camaro drag car diecast and actual photo. They did a nice job on this one with good paint/detail work including the "A/MP 1034" shoe polish makings on the windshield and the period correct aftermarket hi po parts decals all over it. They screwed up on the wheels as the real car has alum slots and the diecast has centerlines.

JoeC
02-08-2003, 02:27 PM
The Ko Motion 67 Corvette drag car diecast looks like it was made from the picture that Mad Mike posted. It has the black steel wheels on back. The magazine cover photo is from 1967-68 time frame.

JoeC
02-14-2003, 03:29 PM
This is a VW Gasser that was sponsored by Motion Mini Car. Held a bunch of records.
There was another picture of this car in front of Motion building and next to it was parked a street VW bug with a Motion style stripe down the side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SS427
02-14-2003, 03:52 PM
With regards to detail on the upper end die cast cars, how important is precise detail on these cars to collectors, i.e. smog, carburaters, distributors, wires, batteries, etc. Do you guys demand intricate detail or do you settle for 'close'? The question of rather to put smog on a die cast has come up from the point if consumers find that important or not or are you willing to settle for second best. I am talking $100 and up cars here. Thanks in advance for any imput. I feel why try if you are not going to do it exact. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
Rick

RonNova396L34
02-15-2003, 01:54 PM
Rick,
I really don't care about how exact they are since my models don't leave the box anyway so you can't even see under the hood.
Ron /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif