PDA

View Full Version : Attention Canadians!

Chevy454
02-03-2003, 12:15 PM
I saw this on the Pure Stock site, and thought some of you Canucks might want to read this about a potential new law concerning street driven vehicles.

Here's a link to the thread: New Law (http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?s=70f4642bae612dfd49b1c05a2400288c& threadid=12635)

And here is a summary:

"The Province of Ontario is in the process of passing Bill 241 which will effectively eliminate all forms of Street Legal Motorsports in this province. This draconian bill is aimed at the very small percentage of drivers who race on public roads but in the process it penalizes the many law-abiding citizens who follow the rules and race on properly regulated and sanctioned racetracks. Enforcement is left to the discretion of the police but this is not acceptable. Close reading of the Bill indicates that a person can have their vehicle impounded for having things such as over-sized tires/wheels, modified and/or dual exhausts, modified intake systems, roll bars and roll cages, five or six-point safety belts, hood scoops, spoilers and other perceived problems. Passing of this bill will result in the loss of many jobs in the aftermarket industry, the tire industry, the speed shops and specialty exhaust shops. It will mean that a driver cannot take his customized/modified car or truck to a local cruise night as he or she could lose the vehicle. It would allow the police to set up outside cruise night venues and race tracks and stop vehicles exiting or entering the events. The ironic part is that the Province has done a great job of instituting standards for all street driven vehicles, requiring them to be certified for both safety and emissions. Bill 241 flies in the face of these advancements."

Don_Lightfoot
02-03-2003, 08:36 PM
Glad to see some others around have pointed this out Rob. I've had links to the actual "Bill" and the "Petition" on our CanAm Chevelle Club website for about two months, just finally removed it over the weekend. The last time I checked the petition had lots of signatures. Some local Police I know are not aware of it, I guess because it isn't law yet.

Chevy454
02-03-2003, 08:42 PM
From what I gather, it is still in it's planning stages, but that is as far as it should go. The more people that sign the petition against it, the better chance their is of the legislature realizing that maybe some people won't stand for it. I would encourage ALL Canadians to sign it, because if it's like it is here in the States, and one province passes it, then the rest follow suit.

Keith Tedford
02-03-2003, 09:53 PM
Fire off a letter to your MP and MPP. They get nervous when they see votes slipping away. There are already enough laws to put the fast and furious crowd out of business. Rather than discouraging safer, better handling cars, the police should be going after the clowns that race across town through red lights or race down 4 lane highways weaving in and out like a pretend F1 driver. E-mail is easy. Get the fingers moving. I'd hate having to run F-70X14 belted tires again.