PDA

View Full Version : How To Deal With Trim/Vin Tags On Ebay

MotownMadman
02-06-2003, 09:56 PM
http://www.boss302.com/board/viewthread.php3?FID=2&TID=1514

Ok guys, it comes up all the time on this board about trim and vin tags on Ebay. A while back I myself bought a trim tag on Ebay, I was under the impression after speaking with the seller that I was going to be able to buy what was left of the car. That did not work out, so the COPO trim tag is now in two pieces, anybody out there who would like those two pieces are welcome to them for what I spent on that auction. Otherwise I am tired of hearing about it as I had caught some grief over it from people who didnt know the entire situation. The link I provided in this post is from the Boss registry, I am also known over there as Motown, we are currently dealing with a VIN tag possibly rebody situation from Ebay the way it should be dealt with, taking action. I suggest in the future we could do the same here and really do something to help keep this hobby genuine.
Thanks,
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jeff H
02-07-2003, 12:37 AM
I think some of the people that visit here and at Camaros.net are recording the information for themselves and reporting it to CRG so if you ever find a car you question, ask the guys at CRG about it. Unless you're looking to score something dirt cheap and don't want to lead anyone else to it, then you're on your own.

MotownMadman
02-07-2003, 01:47 AM
Jeff, that is a good idea and it is not only effective but honorable. My concern is there are people out there who buy these cars who are not part of this site or CRG, someone on the street buys one and finds out later at a show that he had been took and it makes everybody in the hobby look bad. These dam tags and Vins on ebay dont sell for much, its not like buying a whole front clip like on the other site, if everybody here kicked in a buck it would take care of whats available and then send em to CRG so they can record the info and then lock em away safe. Just a thought, it protects everybody, even the next generation in our hobby. I find it hard to imagine my teenage sons being turned loose with some of these cars, but sooner or later its bound to happen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Jeff H
02-07-2003, 01:57 PM
We can only hope that they come out with the Chevrolet archives like they did with Pontiac and that will make the tags almost meaningless.

Bill Pritchard
02-07-2003, 06:18 PM
Selling a VIN tag in any venue is illegal. If you see a VIN tag on eBay, just notify them and they will toast the auction. I've done it before. Since Trim Tags are legally repo'ed, I can't imagine that it is illegal to sell one of them, and probably wouldn't do much good to confiscate those that do become available.

MotownMadman
02-07-2003, 09:09 PM
Bill, I was under the impression that the companies that reproduce trim tags will only do so for a damaged or illegible tag. It is my understanding they will change things on a tag such as car color, interior color, etc, but they will not make a Camaro into a Z-28, Lemans into GTO, etc. There must be some sort of problem with it as every cowl tag that gets listed on Ebay is posted here and everyone who keeps records such as CRG document the info for future reference. As for VINs, they are illegal to sell, but then you find a situation like the Mustang front clip with attached VIN which since it is on a "car" so to speak can be sold. What would be the reason for buying such a thing? Pretty obvious. In this case the Boss registry has got together and are buying it to make sure it doesnt become a car. I dont think it would be a unheard of idea to pick the cowl tags up when available(they dont sell for much), seems better to be safe. If we get a group of guys pitching in to buy them it would be personal choice for anyone to donate to the fund. Seems like it might be one way to help eliminate fraud.