PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded board

Kurt S
02-09-2003, 06:18 AM
Just a few thoughts on the updates:

Nice job!

- On the main index, I liked seeing how many new topic and posts there were in a given form. Now it just shows that there are new posts.

- Any way to condense the main index a little? I like not having to scroll all the time (just lazy?), but I can only see about 6 forums on the screen. Could see a bunch more before.

- Question/suggestion: Do we really want/need the Scuncio and Dana forums? 3 posts each in a year? May be time to add them to the 'Other Dealers' forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Denis
02-09-2003, 05:55 PM
I second Kurt's suggestions. I miss the "new posts and new threads" counts on the main page, and I wish there were a compact view of the main page with perhaps one line for each forum so that one doesn't have to scroll so much to go on to the next forum.

Jeff Murphy
02-14-2003, 09:36 AM
Rob,

Didn't the old board have a feature that automatically indicated who (or is it whom?) you are replying to if you post through the Reply button? As the board continues to grow its membership and people get more chatty, it's hard to follow who's saying what to whom (I think that's the right grammar). I know you can use the Quote button, but that just clutters up the board if you don't need it for specific references...

JChlupsa
02-14-2003, 03:53 PM
I do like how you can go to the user list and not have to wonder through all the numbers tryig to find a persons screen name and all now the Alph and # are listed on the top of the page so you can go straight to H and look for a screen name that starts with H or C for C

Chevy454
02-14-2003, 08:23 PM
Well, I'm still tinkering with the board, and making sure it's gonna work, but all seems well...for now. I eliminated the "invisible browsing" option, and plan an adding a few other features, but I'll try and answer you questions below...

- On the main index, I liked seeing how many new topic and posts there were in a given form. Now it just shows that there are new posts.

The upgrade from 6.0 to 6.2 was aimed at reducing "queries" and increasing the overall speed of the board. For example, to put the number of new since last visited on the front page would require checking different post counts against each other, which eats both time and bandwidth. Not a big change, but the programmers feel (as do I) that every little bit helps. If the light bulb is "on", then open that forum as normal, and the numbers of new posts in each thread are there (in red). Same thing, only better!

- Any way to condense the main index a little? I like not having to scroll all the time (just lazy?), but I can only see about 6 forums on the screen. Could see a bunch more before.

I can understand that, as the "last post" column eats some room. I'm considering eliminating that column all together, which would allow the others to squeeze over, and lessen the "height" of the board.

- Question/suggestion: Do we really want/need the Scuncio and Dana forums? 3 posts each in a year? May be time to add them to the 'Other Dealers' forum.

Agreed. That is on the agenda!

- I miss the "new posts and new threads" counts on the main page, and I wish there were a compact view of the main page with perhaps one line for each forum so that one doesn't have to scroll so much to go on to the next forum.

Gonna see what I can do, but I hate to mess with it too much, because every little bit that is "hacked" now, could mean problems down the road, and searching through code to find problems, like a ";" where a ":" should be is a PAIN!

- Didn't the old board have a feature that automatically indicated who (or is it whom?) you are replying to if you post through the Reply button?

Not sure about that...I can barely remember what I had for breakfast!

SS427
02-14-2003, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't the old board have a feature that automatically indicated who (or is it whom?) you are replying to if you post through the Reply button?

Not sure about that...I can barely remember what I had for breakfast!

[/ QUOTE ]

That feature was indeed there and I agree. Sometimes I read a response and ask, now was he referencing xxxxx or was he referencing xxxxxxx? It was nice to know especially when topics went astray throughout the thread. It kept you on track. JMO

JoeC
02-14-2003, 10:00 PM
I think that feature still works if you select the reply button of the post you want to reply to. You don't have to select the last reply button at the end of the thread.

Mr70
02-14-2003, 10:44 PM
I am hitting the reply Button to JoeC,yet it only shows the title,not specific poster I am responding to.
I would guess that is what the Quote button is for.

Seattle Sam
02-14-2003, 11:27 PM
Each reply used to show it's parent, as well. Now they are all "re: main topic".
-Sam

Chevy454
02-15-2003, 06:41 PM
Oddly enough, I found this is a common complaint found by other admins that upgraded to 6.2, and it seems they are all "hacking" it back to show "re: username" like it was in 6.1! 2 less queries involved when you use "re: topic"...another speed issue addressed in the upgrade, but most feel it isn't worth it.

COPO PETE
02-16-2003, 10:22 AM
Rob... Some of the threads do not fit on my screen, this one included. Even if you use the blue on the bottom, it can not arrow over enough to fit it all on to read. What's up with that???
Peter

Denis
02-16-2003, 04:32 PM
It's those darn metric-size screens you guys are using up there. http://www.sofrayt.com/images/sm/pain.gif

Kurt S
02-17-2003, 02:45 AM
- Any way to condense the main index a little?
I can understand that, as the "last post" column eats some room. I'm considering eliminating that column all together, which would allow the others to squeeze over, and lessen the "height" of the board.

I'm OK with that, if the next part happens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Also, there is no moderator for many forums, eliminating that line for those forums will compact things.

- I miss the "new posts and new threads" counts on the main page.

I like having some indication of the amount of activity in a forum. If it's only one new post, I might not read it right now. If it's 25, then it's time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'd much rather have that than the last edited post entry.

Thanks!!!

Belair62
02-18-2003, 12:33 AM
Rob....I can't seem to go invisible or be private in my post reading....the box to check yes or no is gone...whats the deal ???

shor
02-18-2003, 01:25 AM
I too have played the invisible game. I was fun while it lasted, but I am glad to be back. I always used to see two other invisible people while I was invisible. You could tell by looking at the top where it said "number of users"
I always suspected, it was you belair, and stefano !
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif

Rat_Pack
02-18-2003, 04:53 AM
Rob, I agree with Belair, bring back the part where we can be "invisible". <font color="white"> Sometimes I don't want certain people to know I am on the board.</font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif...................RatPack..............

Belair62
02-18-2003, 02:31 PM
I like being covert sometimes !!!

COPO PETE
02-18-2003, 11:05 PM
Rob... still got this "metric screen" thing going on ! Is it me????
Peter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Chevy454
02-18-2003, 11:14 PM
Hmmm...so, is the "blue" at the bottom you speak of a scroll bar? What browser are you using? I don't know why it would be too wide, as the board is setup up to fit the screen/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif.

COPO PETE
02-18-2003, 11:35 PM
Yep... the blue thingy.... you drag your mouse or push the arrow so you can see all the page. All I can read in your last post is "I know why it would be too wide..........

Chevy454
02-18-2003, 11:54 PM
Ummm....fellas?

Don't know, Pete, that's
a new one on me!

What browser are you
using? Is it Internet
Explorer, AOL, ?

Seattle Sam
02-19-2003, 12:14 AM
I have seen this same effect when someone pastes into a reply, a picture that is wider than the screen. This causes a scroll bar to pop up at the bottom of the screen and text does not wrap until it hits the edge of the photo.
Is there a photo or graphic on your page that is wider than one screen width? Something the same width as where the text line does finally wrap? maybe something outside the boundaries of the Supercar page itself?
Or, perhaps your browser thinks the screen is set up for more pixels than it actually is set for (eg screen at 640, browser at 1024).
For a test, I just reconfigured my screen size fro 1024 to 800 and back, the word wraps and borders around the messages automatically adjusted their size.
just some food for thought..
-Sam

Chevy454
02-19-2003, 07:49 PM
Test "reply hack"

Chevy454
02-19-2003, 07:51 PM
?

Chevy454
02-19-2003, 08:01 PM
Now?

Chevy454
02-19-2003, 08:04 PM
Nothing still?

moparts
02-19-2003, 08:24 PM
what we looking for?

Chevy454
02-19-2003, 08:34 PM
Nevermind...seems to be working now. Don't say a word, Mo...! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Belair62
02-19-2003, 08:38 PM
I want to be invisible http://www.ls1.com/forums/images/smilies/baby.gif

Mr70
02-19-2003, 09:11 PM
I see what you did Rob.
You got the lil reply box back to show who in the thread specifically we are answering to.
I like it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

moparts
02-19-2003, 09:15 PM
I'm selling the invisible formula for $10.00 each. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Belair62
02-19-2003, 09:39 PM
Put it on E-Bay...I would rather pay 300 !!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

moparts
02-19-2003, 09:46 PM
Go ahead and send the $300.00. I have the formula at the printers and should have it ready to send out in about a year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mr70
02-19-2003, 09:52 PM
Very good Moparts..Very Topical! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif

sYc
02-20-2003, 12:25 AM
test

Chevy454
02-20-2003, 03:26 AM
Number of new topics/posts showing on front page, I got the "reply to:" hack working, merged a couple of forums...but still more to do!

55chevy
02-20-2003, 03:42 AM
I have a question. I like to collect some of the posted car pics for myself, but lately every one I right click on save the only option I get is to save it as a .bmp (windows bitmap). They used to come off as .jpg (jpegs). Any ideas?
Ed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chevy454
02-20-2003, 03:48 AM
Let me guess...you are using Internet Explorer?! Sounds like your cache is full...empty your temporary internet files and see if that helps.

Kurt S
02-20-2003, 05:01 PM
Thanks Rob! Looks good!

55chevy
02-20-2003, 05:28 PM
I'll give that a try. Thanks,

Ed