PDA

View Full Version : Need pics of 71 BM Phase III Camaro w/Z28 Stripes

Blown447
02-10-2003, 04:10 AM
I'm building a 71 Pro Street Camaro with a Blown 447 BBC. Car is being painted hugger orange with a flamboyant orange top coat (PPG) along with (hopefully) a black motion scheme.

I want to do the twin stripe setup on the hood and over the rear deck and the point going up the side of the car. I gathered photos of two particular cars, but one picture is eluding me. I need to see how they broke the orange/black or white going into the trunk. Basically I need an open trunk shot. Can/will anyone help out?

COPO
02-10-2003, 11:24 AM
I sold mine last year and don't specifically recall how the paint looked around the trunk area. One of the Ertl models might provide what you need. Here is a link that might help as well http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/Supercars/71BMCamaro/index.htm

Blown447
02-10-2003, 01:35 PM
COPO,

That link is one I have, the other is the red/white one MadMike had the pleasure of being a passenger in just before the gentleman sold the car. The pics Mike took helped alot in regards to the side striping, and a direct rear shot like the one in the link you posted.

I emailed Kevin (I believe still the owner of the one you posted) but never received a response. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I just tied 2 and 2 together, "DUH" - yours is the other one I have pictures of... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SuperCars
02-10-2003, 02:10 PM
Hi blown447, I've been traveling some lately, so I haven't had a chance to respond to all my email questions. Anyway the only photo I have of my trunk is on my web site already. My car has been restored and I assume it was done to the way it was originally. I would guess that one Motion car to the next could've been done differently, as it seems no two cars from Motion were exactly identical. So you could probably configure your stripes any way you please. Building this car with the motor you describe would not have come from Motion to my knowledge, so you may not have to worry about how correct smaller details such as a stripe are. Sounds like a fun project though!

Blown447
02-10-2003, 02:41 PM
Hi Kevin, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hopefully the travel was for pleasure!

I'm not really after the originality part of it. It's more or less it would be nice to see how they did the transition between the two colors.

I suppose I can make things difficult for us and have the striping actually go into the trunk and stop at the weatherstriping. Will at least show attention to detail.
Thanks for the response though, you do have a beautiful car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keith

MadMike
02-10-2003, 06:15 PM
Have you seen:
http://www.alltel.net/~iracez28/motion/71bmot-12.jpg
That's copo's car. From looking at that, I'd say the paint doesn't go into the trunk. The stripes if the car was a
Z28 were enlarged to create the new scheme. From the factory, the Z28 stripes didn't extend into the trunk
(unlike the SS which had tell-tale evidence of black paint going into the trunk) Looking at that photo and some
of the other's I have handy (offline) it appears the white isn't carried into the trunk. The rear splash panel appears to be all red above the bumper.

If you really want to be annoying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, you'd ask if the spoiler was removed to paint the scheme. I'll bet the under side of the spoiler area on the car in question is still red.
I'll double check this.

MadMike
02-10-2003, 06:42 PM
The car is painted as I thought.... the trunk panel is masked off, the spoiler wasn't removed to paint the car.

Blown447
02-10-2003, 07:21 PM
Me? Annoying???? I resemble that remark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Mike - thanks for the info. Now that you pointed it out, it becomes obvious. I have a tendency to overlook that sometimes. (Make things more difficult then it needs to be) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks again,
Keith

COPO
02-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Boy, I regret selling that one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif