PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Motion Monte Carlo Iroc SS Aero Coupe

JoeC
03-25-2003, 02:25 PM
Thought some may like to see this 80s style Motion car also I am looking for more magazine articles on it.

Joel bought it new at Lion Chevrolet in Baldwin, NY (I have window sticker) and hot rodded it at Motion Performance
The MCSS was used as his daily driver and as the show car for his Motion Performance parts catalog.
Joel removed the 305, installed a 350 and modified the car with a B&M Supercharger, Ranchero suspension kit, 16 inch wheels, Motion fiberglass body parts, and other mods. Also installed was a high HP Nitrous Oxide system with 20lb bottle in trunk.
Joel said the MC SS was fast for a heavy car and it surprised a lot of people who thought it was a stock 305. The supercharger loved the juice and he said it really pulled hard when you hit the button. This hi po supercharged 350 MCSS on the juice would run like an old 427 Phase III Chevelle. see pic attached. I had known about this MCSS for a while but did not know it was once a surcharged 350 with about 500 hp on the juice. There was a magazine article on it showing engine picture and I spoke to Joel about it.

The AeroCoupes have interesting history. I did not realize the 87 Aero used RPO Z-16 like the old 1965 396 Chevelle.
Some AeroCoupe info from web sites;
Cars & Concepts in MI. did the AeroCoupe conversion work for Chevy. Same company who did the later Hurst Olds.
Aero cars were pulled off assembly line with no rear window and related parts and sent to Cars & Concepts for conversion then returned to GM for finish detail work.
The AeroCoupe was born to race. It's aerodynamic "bubble" rear window provided a 2.7 percent reduction in drag. This gave NASCAR guys like Dale Earnheart about 5 mph increase in speed at Daytona.
Only 200 of the 1986 Aerocoupe SS were built to meet the minimum production number per NASCAR regulations. NASCAR jacked up the minimum and in 1987 6,052 Aerocoupes were built.

JoeC
03-25-2003, 02:27 PM
The car was featured in Super Chevy April 1990. I have this magazine and looking for other magazine articles on this car.
cover pic attached