PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Camaro Radio Delete Plate "NOS NEW"

396L35
04-14-2003, 09:19 AM
There is a NOS radio delete plate for a 1969 Camaro on EBAY. Check out the chrome outline
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2411090193

Maxx
04-15-2003, 03:23 AM
I also have one just like this example. I'm considering selling it. Thanks

Charley Lillard
04-15-2003, 04:00 AM
I know they now Repo the radio delete. Does the Repo have a Chevy part # on it ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

KLONECO
04-15-2003, 04:39 AM
Good point Charley...I will bring my tool box to the next show and check /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif (/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gifnot!!!!!) ...................now it is a real ILLNESS!!!!!!!

KLONECO
04-15-2003, 04:43 AM
YEP...."ILLNESS" let's not get ridiculous /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Belair62
04-15-2003, 02:07 PM
Huh

Charley Lillard
04-15-2003, 02:49 PM
Kloneco..... My comment was wondering if the Repo had a part # like the orig. as there has been a couple NOS deletes for sale but none were in GM packaging or had parts tags. Wondering if People are selling Repos as NOS. I remember someone saying they had a Box full of NOS ones, hard to believe.

396L35
04-16-2003, 12:01 AM
Actually the repro plate doesn't have the numbers on the back like the original one. I have seen two repro delete plates in the last month at swap meets, and both were missing the numbers. Plus it doesn't look as good as the orignal.

04-16-2003, 04:30 AM
Are there any repro deluxe woodgrain radio delete plates being made?

396L35
04-16-2003, 10:05 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gifI have never seen a deluxe repro yet, but never say never, if there is a market for such an item they will make it.

KLONECO
04-16-2003, 03:55 PM
Charley..I understand what you mean. My reference to "illness" was taking every part off to check if it has #'s on it. but even if a part that small or cosmetic, does not have correct #'s and looks good. why not use it???

sYc
04-16-2003, 04:41 PM
Kloneco, It is not an illness, but rather respect for the supercars and their history. Supercar owners hold their cars to a much higher standard then the "average Joe", thus are more selective in what parts they use.

KLONECO
04-16-2003, 04:58 PM
I realize that. But if the NOS parts are no longer available sounds like there is no choice. Even if the parts are still around,how long could it take till they surface at a swap meet or someplace? this could be years!! so now it would seem like aftermarket is the only avenue left.Unless you just want to wait it out.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
04-16-2003, 05:44 PM
KLONECO; Most of us will put a repro on until we 'wait it out' and find the correct piece. Then swap them.

Charley Lillard
04-16-2003, 08:11 PM
Kloneco...I don't have a problem with using a Repo part. My concern was if a Repo part was being sold as a NOS part and getting the Premium price. It sounds like it is the real thing

KLONECO
04-16-2003, 09:31 PM
It is a shame when honesty goes astray. It is too bad, that seems to happen way too often these days. Good luck finding the correct piece you need. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Rat_Pack
04-16-2003, 11:06 PM
Tom, please clarify your statement above. It sounds as if anyone that does not own a supercar is the "average Joe". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif There are lots of discriminating car enthusiasts that do not own a "supercar" and hold them at a higher standard than most, including supercar owners. In general about 90% of the repro parts that are available today are of better quality than the originals that were on the car, and are usually better than any nos item you can buy. There are exceptions but not most of the time. BTW, how many repro parts do you have on your car? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif............RatPack.......

Charley Lillard
04-17-2003, 12:34 AM
Ratpack....I just gotta disagree with you on the Quality issue. In the Repo end of Camaro parts I find most of it inferior to the orig. stuff. I Love slamming doors to get them to shut with the Repo door rubbers. Or the cowl hoods that are 1/2" narrower than orig. Or the Carpets that are cut too narrow. Or the Cowl hood insulation that had the cutout in the wrong place for years. Or the puffy standard door panels. Or the Dash pad that splits the about an Hour after it is installed because you had to stretch it to make it fit, Etc, Etc, Etc. Would I rather have these parts than no parts ? Yes. Would I rather have orig. ? Yes. So there.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

sYc
04-17-2003, 12:49 AM
My post was not meant to "slam" anyone. I was just trying to explain to Kloneco that a lot of the supercar owners and/or the restoration shops I know go to great lengths to use either original or NOS parts, regardless of the quality, and/or price. I think that is a given, if by nothing else then the $$$ NOS parts demand. And, you are right, that desire is not limited to supercars. Regardless of whether I use repop parts on my cars or not, I do not think it is an illness, just a passion for correctness and originality, which I admire. If it were not for this desire, passion, illness, or whatever it is called, we would not have the many owners who spend counless hours and $$$ to have their car achieve the Diamond award. And I think we all enjoy seeing these cars.

Zedder
04-17-2003, 01:49 AM
Rat Pack, Thanks for making the statement about us poor ol' non-Supercar owners . I thought I was going to have to sell all of my NOS parts or buy a Supercar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif

Maxx
04-17-2003, 03:20 AM
An original delete plate has the part number molded as raised letters in the part. A repop is made from a VCR tape case or carrier box. The one I metioned that I'm considering selling is the GM version with the part number. Thanks

rpoz11
04-17-2003, 05:38 AM
Not liking to step into certain discussions, But : KLONECO; I'd have to agree with Mr. Lillard. Most of us, if not all, having spent most of our free time around numerous Chevy's, that after many cars myself, one cannot justify an aftermarket item, panel, etc for the best of our abilities on our original cars. Trying to massage a re-popped panel/fender can be very trying to the Heart if your car IS something! Much $$$ can be spent likewise to use what's available to resurrect even the nicest COPO cars, for example. My KIWI painter/bodyman with 35 years experience won't use repop if even a rusted fixable GM part is available to him. Trust the people who know! This forum I'd have to insist in saying is just for these reasons alone to offer, learn, and experience just what is best to do; even if something cant be replaced---listen to the ones HERE who know and share openly with us all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

JoeC
04-17-2003, 12:36 PM
Some guys are not even happy with NOS. They have to have assembly line installed correct parts which sometimes are differnt then NOS.

Jeff H
04-17-2003, 01:11 PM
The quality of the leftover NOS parts nowadays is nowhere near what the originally installed parts were. And NOS sheetmetal that was made near the end of the die's timeline is not nearly as crisp. So just because something is NOS does not mean it's the best piece available. Some repo stuff is better, some repo stuff is the same and some repo stuff is junk. I have no problem with repo if it fits correctly and does the job. It's discussions like this where people have tried the different pieces can offer their opinions to the quality that help make the parts better and inform us what to avoid. Good discussion, no reason for anyone to take anything personally.

SS427
04-17-2003, 04:54 PM
Good point Joe. If people think finding NOS parts is difficult, try finding original assembly line parts. I recently went through this and it was not fun!
Rick

x44d80
04-22-2003, 11:33 PM
Charley, who is repopping the delete plates?

Charley Lillard
04-23-2003, 01:43 AM
I don't know. I remember seeing one on Ebay probably a couple Months ago.

Zedder
04-23-2003, 03:05 AM
Bob Moore in Columbus, Ohio sells '67/'68 plates - not sure if he sells '69's also? I think they are $200.

396L35
04-25-2003, 04:07 AM
Try McHenry Classic Car Parts: (815) 363-7878. I think he also carries heater delete plates for 69's as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif