PDA

View Full Version : Our Son Dan

Seattle Sam
05-12-2003, 04:35 PM
My wife's son and my stepson, Dan, passed away quietly at home, at 2:13 Saturday morning, after a 20-month long battle with cancer. His family was with him around the clock, since he came home from the hospital Monday evening. Dan was 35 years, two months, and five days old.

Dan was born and raised in Seattle. He was the first child of Bob and Sue Dickson. After graduating high school, Dan joined the US Army, where he was assigned to graves registration. He served in Panama and was also deployed in Germany during the first Gulf war. After receiving an honorable discharge in 1991, Dan attended Pima Medical Institute in Seattle, where he achieved his degree in radiological technology. He interned at Evergreen Hospital in Kirkland, WA, and was subsequently employed by them. Dan went to Evergreen for his cancer care, and it was obvious that he was well-known and loved by staff throughout the hospital. Many told me that Dan was one of the kindest and most gentle people they knew. He always had a smile for everyone, and was unfailingly polite and considerate to all, especially his patients.

Dan married the great love of his life, Julie Yielding, in July of 2001. They did not have time to have any children before he was diagnosed with cancer. But they did have a beautiful relationship during the short time they were given together.

Dan was a great sports fan, his favorite sport being soccer. He played both as a child and as an adult, and he volunteered as a referee for youth soccer. He was a family man, always spending time with both his Mom and his Dad as well as his brothers.

Thank God his suffering has ended. He will be sorely missed by all his family and friends. All of our lives are richer for having known him.

-Sam

Oh! I've slipped the surly bond of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wing;
Sunward I climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along and flung
my eager craft through footless halls of air

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew
And, while the silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

SS427
05-12-2003, 04:46 PM
Sam,
My condolences to you and your wifes family and friends and also to Dan's wife. Yet another waste of a young person with so much to live for and one who gave so much.

Zedder
05-12-2003, 04:55 PM
Sam,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Your family and Dan will be in our prayers.

JChlupsa
05-12-2003, 05:04 PM
Sam, So sorry to hear of his passing. Please let Sue know he will be in our thoughts & prayers.
Jeff & Evelyn and Family

SuperCars
05-12-2003, 05:16 PM
Sam, Very sorry to hear that. Although living here, I did not know about it. I can understand what your family has gone through, as my wife had a brother that passed away at age 18 from bone cancer. We know how tragic it can be, as he had come from Alaska to stay with us for treatment in Seattle.

Our family sends our condolences for your loss of Dan.

NWYENKO
05-12-2003, 05:25 PM
Sam, Ladonna & I are so sorry to hear about your loss. Our thoughts are with you and the rest of the family. Jim

COPO PETE
05-12-2003, 05:59 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. I've been down that road myself with family members. May god help you in the coming weeks.
Peter

68l30
05-12-2003, 08:45 PM
My thoughts and prayers for Dan and family....God Bless.

Steve

MotownMadman
05-12-2003, 09:21 PM
Sam,
Sorry for your loss, my prayers are with you. I have lost my mother and father both in the last few months so I can understand your current grief. Take heart in the fact that your son would probebly prefer that we not mourn his passing but rather celebrate his life. May God be with you and your family.
Matt and Patty

mhassett
05-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Sam, Our Prayers are with you and your wife Sue. My wife's sister (40yrs old divorced with (2) kids ages 5 and 9) has BREAST/BRAIN/BONE CANCER and we are Living thru this Nightmare EVERYDAY trying to help out, especially with the kids. CANCER is EVIL!! Sam he is NOW in a BETTER PEACEFUL place and Dan has No More Suffering. Take care and BELIEVE in GOD, Mark and Ginnie

Chevy454
05-12-2003, 09:48 PM
The thoughts and prayers of us here in Alton, MO, go out to you and your family as well.

DjD
05-13-2003, 01:01 AM
Condolences to your family Sam. Our paryers are with you.

82z96ss
05-13-2003, 04:14 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss, the Watts family sends condolences and prayers to all those that in mourning. May God take Dan's Spirt quickly to the wonderful place above.

Charley Lillard
05-13-2003, 04:39 AM
My Condolences Sam. I wanna say something but nothing comes out right. It's not Fair at all. May time pass quickly and the Pain subside.

Belair62
05-13-2003, 02:15 PM
I'm with you Charley...my condolences Sam...

copo9566aa
05-13-2003, 03:11 PM
My condolences Sam to you and your family.

hvychev
05-13-2003, 03:48 PM
Sam I am sorry to hear about your loss. He is in a better place.

Seattle Sam
05-13-2003, 10:34 PM
Thanks to all of you who have replied, both publicly and privately. We draw strength from your kindness and support. Dan is free from pain and in a much better place; I hope to join him there some day.
Regards,
-Sam