PDA

View Full Version : NOS MOTION L88 HOOD

MotownMadman
06-04-2003, 12:54 AM
I came across a guy who has an NOS Motion L88 hood from the early seventies for first gen Camaro, never painted, has mounting hardware unopened, instuctions, and original Bill Of Sale from Motion. Anybody interested contact me I will turn you directly over to the seller, wants a flat $2000
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

JoeG
06-04-2003, 01:09 AM
Does he use GMC financing?

MotownMadman
06-04-2003, 01:57 AM
Joe,
Same reason I dont own it.
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

resto4u
06-04-2003, 03:03 AM
Matt, can you get pics so i can compare to the hood i have? Is it a bolt on, or pins? Does it have the reinforcement over the back of the hood on the underside? Thanks,Roger

MotownMadman
06-04-2003, 03:53 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2417819745
Rodger,
Since someone asked here is the auction, seller says 2k to end it.
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

JChlupsa
06-04-2003, 04:46 AM
2K to end it so will $1500 if no one else bids on it. Reserve met with 1 bid of $1500

MotownMadman
06-04-2003, 05:01 AM
Jeff, well, I should go on Ebays Payroll, the bidder found it here after emailing me, considering the prices of stuff these days, the Buy It Now price is really not that shocking for an old NOS motion hood, could buy 3.25 sets of Berger plate frames! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif As I stood corrected awhile back on the broom, the more valuable the cars get, the more valuable the memorabilia and parts. About the same as the NOS Nickey hood I sold, how many original NOS Baldwin and Nickey hoods are even available to be bought. We will both probebly be kicking ourselves 5 years from now for having this conversation instead of buying it ourselves. Dont let me talk myself into buying this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
Thanks,

JChlupsa
06-04-2003, 05:08 AM
I would rather take the rims and caps off his hands,

MotownMadman
06-04-2003, 05:16 AM
Ok Jeff, you take the wheels, I will settle for the hood. Geez, the wife is gonna be pissed!
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JChlupsa
06-04-2003, 06:52 AM
I'll just add it to the receipts from out upcoming vacation and mine wont know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

All I want is the rims, I have 2 sets of dog dish caps and some other earlier styles.
Oh how I wish it was that wasy

JoeC
06-04-2003, 12:13 PM
It depends on what year this hood made. The add states that it is "a NOS Motion Performance L88 type hood used on 1969 Camaros modified by Motion Performance for Baldwin Chevrolet in New York, back in 1969". He appears to be claiming it is a 1969 hood.
Motion sold the hood for many years and the mold may be the same but the glass materials changed over the years. I would want to see documentation showing that it is really a 1969 hood before paying 2K for a $400.00 hood. IMO

whitetop
06-04-2003, 02:41 PM
Caution Caution:
Those instruction sheets laying on top of the hood are pretty white for being 25-30 years old. I just bought a L-88 Nova hood from Legendary this past weekend at Carlisle for $335(picked up at show price) and it has the same instruction sheets taped on with the exact type decal as the one shown in the pic (it tells you not to paint or modify the hood before fitment as it then cannot be returned. My hood is white gelcoat also.
I'm not an expert on fiberglass but I have seen true NOS early '70's fiberglass pieces from Fastglass (pre Legendary name change) at swap meets over the years and those pieces were either grey or black gelcoat. I know Motion used A&A, Moroso and Fastglass for their hoods over the years. I just picked up an early A&A catlog (1972) and the pieces in the photos are grey gelcoat. I talked with Larry the owner from Legendary in depth and he told me they have sold stuff to Motion since '67 or so. Also, the hoods he sells today is from the same exact molds as years ago but the underside bracing is different (read better)
BTW, the hood I bought is very well done. Underside bracing is some of the best work I have ever seen.
The hood on ebay is not from the early '70's. You can still buy that hood for $390 + freight from Motion, who has it dropped shipped from Legendary, or pick it up for $335 at any of the shows Legendary goes to.
Dave

MotownMadman
06-04-2003, 04:05 PM
WOW! Sounds like the seller had better post his Bill Of Sale from Motion from way back when. I can say that the NOS Nickey Stinger hood I recently sold was a darker gray fiberglass with red oxide primer, the underside was exact to an original used one I had that came from an old car, it had no brace on the underside of the scoop at the back of the hood, while the more recent ones do have the cross brace. I know the seller has found his way to this thread, how about an interjection from him?

GTO_DON
06-04-2003, 04:35 PM
I DONT KNOW, I THINK SOMETHING FISHY HERE! I BOUGHT THE SAME HOOD FROM BEN PILLA SPEED SHOP IN PHILLY SIX MONTHS AGO. PRICE WAS 325.00 WITH THE SAME WHITE INSTRUCTIONS TAPED TO THE HOOD. HOOD WAS WHITE IN COLOR JUST LIKE THAT ONE. SOMEBODY BETTER DO THEIR HOME WORK. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

whitetop
06-04-2003, 07:01 PM
Motown
Anybody can find or have an old sales receipt from Motion as they sold mailorder just like Summit or Jegs. Does not mean that hood was from back then. The instructions sheet and decal gives it away IMO. I've sold more NOS speed equipment over the years than most people can fathom and even brand new stuff in a sealed box gets dirty and yellowed from age. That instruction sheet was printed within the last year or so. Also if the seller post pics of the underside of the hood will be another giveaway.
Another thing I just noticed. The box it's laying on. I bought a Motion Vega hood from Motion 4-5 years ago that was dropped shipped from Legendary. Hood went to the Clary's via ebay BTW, then to Sixtiesmuscle then to Stefano. I still have the box underneath my Mustang and it has the same markings, two black arrows pointing down.

budnate
06-04-2003, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That instruction sheet was printed within the last year or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, it should be very yellow by now.

Bud.

MotownMadman
06-04-2003, 07:35 PM
Whitetop, sounds cut and dried "Beyond a Reasonable Doubt" to me. As you stated, a photo of the bottom would indicate a heck of a lot more, like in my previous post on the Nickey hood, there was a definate difference in the bottom of an old vs new Stinger hood. Remember guys, with the prices of these cars recently, anything is possible. There are people in the world who have spent a good part of a year planning, and risked 20 years of their freedom for a bank robbery that would equal about 1/3 of the current value of a COPO. Considering that, it is not a far leap in logic to see that some people would go to great extremes in this business to advertise or sell something for what it really never was. Our boy up in Canada with the Yenko Series II is a perfect example of planning and executing a bank robbery of sorts. The big difference is if he gets caught he is not risking the loss of 20 years of his freedom. If the laws protected the buyers of these cars as they do the banks, there would be far less in the way of fraud in our hobby. Write your Congressman!
Thanks,
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

JoeG
06-04-2003, 11:44 PM
It is true the old Motion Hoods I've seen , including the one I have were grey-gel coat.

Yellow 69 z28
06-05-2003, 03:05 PM
I am the high bidder so far in the auction and was told by members on this board that it was a fake prior to me bidding. So I guess I got pissed because, I have been looking for one (NOS) or equivalent since my original hood sailed away like a kite. ( Previous owner forgot to pin the hood on the way home from work, after showing co-workers the junk under hood ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I just don't get guys like this so I was curious about how he going to produce the paper work to back it up. So I emailed him with my work number 800-749-5902 X7066, and asked him if he could fax me a copy of the paperwork. But I've yet to get a reponse back via email or phone. I guess I only have a few options now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I was also told that 2K would take it home, but it is obvious the reserve was less that $1000.00. Which is what I would like to think is resonable to pay. Considering the options.

Bill Pritchard
06-05-2003, 03:15 PM
yellow69z,

If you aren't happy with the way things are turning out, can't you retract your bid? Just a thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Yellow 69 z28
06-05-2003, 03:59 PM
Bill,

That's not the point. Call me at that number. Just a thought? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

That's why I replied to this thread. Not because I am asking for any advise.

JChlupsa
06-05-2003, 05:04 PM
I asked him for the codes off the steel wheels he is selling also and like you NO REPLY.

whitetop
06-05-2003, 05:37 PM
The hood is not really a fake. Just made later than the originals. This was brought up in an earlier thread about Hurst bringing back the pistol grip shifters. If they are from the original tooling and made by the same company...are they repo or original?????

God only knows what hood source Joel used on each car. Personally, I'd take a drive down from Jersey to Legendary and pick up a new one for $335.