PDA

View Full Version : 67 COPO Chevelle ???

JChlupsa
06-06-2003, 12:10 AM
got bored at work and started looking for different year Chevelles. I never knew there were COPO Yenko 67 Chevelle's

http://chevellfan.com/index83.html

JoeG
06-06-2003, 01:21 AM
Just passing thru, I thought I say something since you are bored.----- Never heard of one----YOU have two lifelines left. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

will
06-06-2003, 05:18 PM
heard of a 67 chevelle 427 in glen burnie years ago,later here on the shore coworker said his nieghbor had one,went to see it (from the road)was told yes its a 427 the one from from glen bernie(car was in primer) .this was about 6-7 year ago now.
went by that house last month,car is gone but house has major upgrade and a new suburban in the drive way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Mr70
06-07-2003, 02:39 AM
This will always be an on going debate.
The following is a reply I recieved from Doug Marion himself earlier this year when I asked if they ever made a FACTORY 427 Chevelle..
Please understand I am only relaying it here, and not endorsing or discrediting it.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Rick
Chevy made them.I saw a Handful at NHRA Sanctioned tracks.The guys I talked to said they were Dealer Ordered.I could never find any data at Chevrolet,but I bet the NHRA might have some,as they would have to approve these cars for Competition.
Somewhere in my Photo collection are photos from such a car at the US Nationals.
Back in my early days,I never paid any attention to dealer cars like the Yenko and Nickey as they can easily be duplicated.(I worked at Nickey and never thought a COPO was a big Deal.Wish I would have.)I know Vince Emme bought the Yenko sales Lists so cars can be verified.I know I wrote about the COPO 67 427 Chevelle at Super Chevy in the early 80's.If I ever run across it,I'll let you know.I may even contact them on 67 COPO data.
Doug Marion January 2003

[/ QUOTE ]

JoeG
06-07-2003, 03:40 AM
Thats good to know, as I'm always running into a vendor at swap meets, with some nice early car mags. I'll keep an eye out for Super Chevy early 80's .Needle in a haystack, but when you find the needle it makes it all worthwhile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jim Mattison
06-07-2003, 11:21 AM
To the best of my knowledge, Chevrolet Division never built a COPO Chevelle, in 1967. I've seen a lot of factory-looking emblems and badges on '66 and '67 Chevelles, but they are off of the SS-427 Impalas. All of the 427 engines that were installed in these cars were done either at the dealer or by a previous owner!

An easy way to check: Does anyone have an engine code for one of these cars?

Jim Mattison

Mr70
06-07-2003, 12:55 PM
Jim M.
Although I agree with you that they probably never made them from the factory,can you base what was made by the use the Engine Suffix codes as a definitive reference?

Take the 1970 LS6 Chevelle with L89 Aluminum heads.The September 1969 Printing 30M, & October 1970 30A,both show Suffix code CRS as an LS6 with Aluminum Heads,yet the Factory never produced this engine in this car...Did they? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Unreal
06-07-2003, 05:31 PM
Yeah, but having a code for an engine that was never built is not the same as building an engine without a code.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
06-09-2003, 05:34 PM
It is possible that GM utilized another engine code for a different application. I don't know that GM ever installed such a '67 Chevelle combination, but they did use the same engine codes for various installations. For example, the Yenko Deuce Nova has CTB and CTC coded engines, which per the books are for '70 Camaro Z28's with four speed and a/t respectively.

mike32
06-09-2003, 07:30 PM
I HAVE HEARD OF THESE CARS (66-67 SS427 CHEVELLES), ALTHOUGH NEVER SEEN ANY DOCUMENTATION ON ONE. HAVE ALSO HEARD OF A 1970 ELCAMINO WITH LS6 AND ALUM. HEADS, AGAIN NO DOCUMENTS TO VERIFY. ANYTHING COULD HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE!
MIKE

Kurt S
06-10-2003, 05:27 AM
Marlin,
They only shared engine codes if the engine assemblies were identical. Same manifolds, distributor, etc. Not sure if any 67 Chevelle engine codes were shared with other 67 carlines. If they were all unique to 67 Chevelle, then that closes that door. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Same thing on axles, that's why the Nova and 1st gen Camaro shared axle codes. Same dimensions, same axles.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
06-10-2003, 12:15 PM
You are correct KurtS. It is believed that Yenko ordered the Deuces with the Corvette LT1, but GM installed the Z28 version due to the exhaust manifolds being the same as the Nova's. The axle codes were also the same for Camaros and Novas through '69, before the '70 Camaro got a little wide! I am not sure what engine would fit into the '66-7 Chevelle without changes, and could share an application code. It's just a thought though!

JoeC
06-10-2003, 01:04 PM
Doug Marion is very knowledgeable and a good writer but I think he is not remembering correctly on the 67 Chevelle. Chevy got tight on HP in 67. They did not offer the 427 425 in the big pass car although some say a few slipped out (less then 10). The 425hp 427 was available in 66 and 68 big cars. Even the 375 hp 396 was hard to get in the 67 Chevelle and many dealers told customers they were not available. So it's hard to believe there was a 427 Chevelle in 67.