PDA

View Full Version : 1969 ZL-1 #69

JTH74
06-08-2003, 03:19 AM
When looking on COPO.com and the list of owners of the ZL-1's it shows some cars as destroyed and then it shows the #69 car as being wrecked, does this mean its where abouts are known and it is awaiting resto, or is wrecked beyond repair? This is a very significant car for two reasons(not taking anything away from anyone else's ZL-1 because each and every one of these cars is very important to muscle car history) 1: obviously its the last car 2: it is one of two or three ZL-1's with the 9737 Sports Car Conversion package. If this has already been discussed on here please excuse me because it was discussed before I was a member on this site.

William
06-08-2003, 05:10 PM
Many years ago when I was chasing ZL1s I located a previous owner of #69. In a letter he mentions the individual he sold the car to (May '78) was involved in a collision resulting in front-end damage. Neither he nor I saw the car. The car was sold as is; no one knew what happened to it. Subsequently others claimed to have located and viewed it somewhere in Ohio. By the early '90s it was no longer there. At an SC-Indy meet around that time I spoke to an individual with ZL1 #51 which was on display. He stated that the owner of #51 at that time (Florida collector) had recently acquired a wrecked ZL1. Of course I started asking questions; he clammed up. Haven't heard of it since.

The OE motor was long gone; someone claims to have the trans (M22).

MotownMadman
06-08-2003, 10:02 PM
I personally do not believe that all the cars listed as destroyed are, I know of one that is listed as destroyed that is very much still with us, unrestored, but not destroyed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Thanks,
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

JTH74
06-08-2003, 10:58 PM
Thats certainly great news to hear, all of those cars are worth saving if at all possible, even if they do not have the #'s matching engines,trans, and rearends in them! I hope in about 10 years when I finally recover all the money I dumped in the stock market over past 8 years comes back to me I will one day be able to be a proud owner of a COPO,YENKO, or BALDWIN-MOTION CAR, but for now my 69 Z28 will have to do! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Ed Cunneen
06-12-2003, 09:40 PM
I have been told that car 69 was in a serious accident and the car has been with the same owner in the same condition for many years. I believe it has recently been sold and a restoration will be in process shortly. I know I will hear from the new owner soon, because I know the location of the original M-22 Transmission. If a ZL-1 Camaro is in existence where I have shown it as destroyed, it means that the owner has never contacted me about the car and that the title searches conducted over the years never revealed a current title or registration. I have not identified publicly which ZL-1's in my records are known for sure to be deceased vs. missing in action for an eternity.

JTH74
06-13-2003, 01:02 AM
Great to hear another one survived! I just thought it interesting that some said destroyed and then that one just said wrecked. Was it in a street accident or racing accident? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

Ed Cunneen
06-13-2003, 12:23 PM
I have heard the story that the car was being street driven when it went off the road and plowed sideways into a big tree. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Ed Cunneen
06-13-2003, 12:32 PM
Mowtown, Do you care to indicate which ZL-1 I listed as destroyed is still alive and well? I would love to add to my list another live ZL-1.

JTH74
06-13-2003, 09:56 PM
Ed, what part of the car was hit? It would probably need a lot of inner structure parts, or maybe even the dreaded re-body(hopefully not). Since this car does not have the original engine, what are your thoughts as to finding a original date coded block and heads as opposed to using one of the new cast ZL-1 block and heads Chevrolet made a couple of years ago, and build it to the exact 69 ZL-1 specs? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

MotownMadman
06-16-2003, 07:34 PM
Ed, I get the biggest kick out of how many guys here call me Mowtown, kind of rhymes with cowtown which is indictative of where I live now! The ZL-1 I mentioned early on has had the same owner since 72 and at this time he wishes to continue to remain unknown. I am not positive, but I believe the car was never plated as it was used for racing.
Motown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Mr Yenko
06-17-2003, 03:37 AM
A good friend of mine is putting a MARCH dated ZL-1 Long block up FOR SALE shortly on e-bay. Happy bidding..."MOF"

matt murphy
06-17-2003, 06:58 AM
Motown and Ed, I got a call from a guy in MI after the Berger Delivery of 19 2002 ZL1 Supercar Camaros. He was commenting on how cool they were and as a street rodder for many years, he said he hasn't seen anything quite like them. He also went on to say that he has a ZL1 and it was listed on the list as destroyed. He said he has had it for over 20 years. Maybe the same guy. He didn't leave me his name; but, he said, you will probably see it one day.

Jeff H
06-17-2003, 12:27 PM
Cool, especially when it's listed as one of the destroyed cars to reappear. I'm still waiting to see what Dan finds out about the blue ZL1 he found for sale at Hauser Chevrolet in PA. I've talked to him about it and I've seen the ads from the local Bethlehem newspapers showing the silver ZL1 and a blue ZL1 which is still an unidentified car as of now.

Charles
07-10-2003, 08:13 PM
I just found this site and perhaps you could share some information with me. Not about #69 though. VIN #124379N635720 was sent new to GM Canada? Did 35720 have it's aluminum motor donated to Mr. Eaton's Can-Am race car? His family owned Eatons department store. GM just replaced it with an iron motor and sold it as a demo... Someone told me that one digit of the s/n had been recorded incorrectly and as a result the car was difficult to trace. GM generated records for this car on Setember 23, 1988. Thank you for your time.
Regards, Charles B

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-10-2003, 09:37 PM
I believe that Ed Cunneen's brother in law still owns that car, it was found in Canada I believe.

Ed Cunneen
07-14-2003, 08:59 PM
The vin was posted incorrectly on this car on the title. My brother-in-law has the original engine block and car.

Charles
07-15-2003, 02:27 AM
Hello Ed: Thank you for the details about the "Canadian" ZL-1. It appears that another ZL-1 Camaro was shipped from Detroit to Nurse Chevrolet in Oshawa on short notice. The motor was taken from that car and supplied to George Eaton for his Can-Am race car. After the racing season was finished two aluminum blocks and several sets of heads were sold off....
Regards,

Ed Cunneen
07-15-2003, 05:45 PM
The Canadian ZL-1 had the original engine removed very early in it's life. I found the engine in the states years ago. I don't know the engine's history, so it may have gone to the Can-Am effort.

and passed it on to my brother-in-law.