PDA

View Full Version : 68 Dick Harrell Funny Car

moparts
06-19-2003, 01:00 PM
Ok Tom....it is showable and in the trailer....so show them the pictures.......before I leave for Bowling Green /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mr70
06-19-2003, 01:18 PM
Yes,Yes.
Pictures Please Tom?

Chevy454
06-19-2003, 03:08 PM
I'm not Tom, but I guess I'll have to do...

Chevy454
06-19-2003, 03:11 PM
<font color="red">Then...</font>

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/43493-dhfc1.JPG

Chevy454
06-19-2003, 03:13 PM
<font color="red">Now...</font>

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/43494-tcdhfc4.jpg

Chevy454
06-19-2003, 03:24 PM

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/43496-tcdhfc1.jpg

Chevy454
06-19-2003, 03:27 PM

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/43498-tcdhfc2.jpg

Chevy454
06-19-2003, 03:29 PM

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/43499-tcdhfc3.jpg

Chevy454
06-19-2003, 03:31 PM

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/43500-tcdhfc5.jpg

Chevy454
06-19-2003, 03:41 PM

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/43502-tcdhfc6.jpg

Chevy454
06-19-2003, 03:45 PM
Those should give you guys something to chew on for a while.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

JoeC
06-19-2003, 04:12 PM
WOW! very nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

68l30
06-19-2003, 04:22 PM
Car looks sweet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif Dare to ask if it will see some track time? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gifI hope it's a yes... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I can't wait for the reunion now!

Steve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

moparts
06-19-2003, 04:38 PM
How soon the track time will be will depend on how long it takes me to get it running. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif We were kind of under the gun to get it showable to take this weekend to the hot rod reunion in Bowling Green Ky. So if all goes well it should be doing burnouts at SCR 6. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

Kim_Howie
06-19-2003, 04:59 PM
NOW THAT IS A RACE CAR. IT LOOKS "BEUTIFULL" CONGRATULATIONS KIM

Seattle Sam
06-19-2003, 06:04 PM
Wow, that is a great looking car! just curious, why does a '68 car have '67 tail lights?
-Sam

sYc
06-19-2003, 07:34 PM
Sam, Until recently, I considered it a '68, and the altered car the only '67. But, within the last few weeks, I have come up with quite a bit more information, which has helped clear up a few things, at least I think so.

First of all, the car now has the same tail lights that were in it when I got the car. Not for sure if that means anything, but decided to do that for now.

As per the year, here is what I have been able to put together. The body was one of the first one piece bodies ever molded, and was molded off of a real car. This was in mid to late '67 and it appears the car was not compaigned until early in '68. At about this time, according to SS&amp;DI magazine, the fiberglass companies released new bodies for '68, which consisted of a few minor details. The bigger names switched to the new body, while lesser teams stayed with the '67, after all they were very similar. According to an article in SS&amp;DI, Dick had two flip top cars in '68, which are both pictured in the article. One, our car, which is pictured on the lift with Dave Libby underneath, the other the newer body. This other car may be Jim Kirby's? One thing that makes it difficult is Dick used at least 4 different paint schemes in '68. Red/black, all red, tri-color burgundy and red w/lace (like the '69), and changed parts he was using, thus sponser decals quite often. This makes it hard to sort things out.

Now, to your question, I think it is actually a '67, but was raced during the early part of the '68 season as a '68. So, 1967 or 1968 ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

ORIGLS6
06-19-2003, 09:59 PM
Tom,
Congratulations on a beautiful job. Looking forward to seeing her in person tomorrow in Bowling Green.

Dennis

hvychev
06-20-2003, 05:36 AM
Wow it looks great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

68TopStock
06-20-2003, 06:15 AM
Tom,

I am floored! That is excellent! Can you tell I am excited? I can't wait! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

bkhpah
06-20-2003, 11:52 AM
That will be cool at York US 30 show too..Can't wait to see it. The people at York will go nutz...BKH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif

whitetop
06-20-2003, 02:15 PM
Tom
You did a really nice job on the resto. How about some "before" pics. Always neat to see what you started with.
Are you looking for a set of the magnesium rear wheels that were slotted like in the original pic? I know a guy that has a set but they are 16" which was very popular back then. Not sure what size your car originally ran. I don't think you can get tires for them anymore though so would have to find a nice used set for display only.
Dave

Chevy454
06-21-2003, 01:40 AM
We've got some before pics here somewhere, but they're really not much to look at. Just a fiberglass body in primer, and a dirty frame.

As for the wheels/tires, I believe he has been hunting a set of 16" magnesium wheels! The wheels on it now (I think?) are 16" American Racing wheels, and he was *supposed* to be getting some vintage (ie. correct) tires mounted on them, but for some reason they haven't made it in from Cali. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I think he was gonna try and shoot you a PM before he left for Bowling Green where Mo and the car are waiting. Mo said it's getting LOTS of looks/compliments/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif.

Watching the guy hand letter the car was friggin' AMAZING... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Belair62
06-21-2003, 03:31 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif

bkhpah
06-21-2003, 03:52 AM
Nothing like real hand lettered cars with brush strokes. I almost gaged at Ford Carlisle when I looked at a premo restored T-Bolt and the car had vinyl graphics. Step up and do it right...BKH

JoeG
06-21-2003, 11:41 PM
Chevy454,
Call me crazy!---but I could swear I saw that car smiling!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
NICE!!!!!!!--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

Mr70
06-22-2003, 12:40 AM
You are crazy..that is the reflection of everyone looking at this car!

JoeG
06-22-2003, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are crazy..that is the reflection of everyone looking at this car!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif-------------- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[SHHHHHHH! it's a secret]

moparts
06-23-2003, 03:06 PM
Back to work after a long weekend. Talked to alot of people about the car, and there were lots of smiling faces. I would like to have a nickle for every picture that was taken of the car. Now to get it running for the next show.

Maurice

ORIGLS6
06-23-2003, 04:24 PM
Mo,

Good to meet you face-to-face on Friday and see the car. I agree (as we discussed) hand lettering is the only way to do these cars. WAY too many of the nostalgia Super Stockers at Bowling Green had vinyl lettering. Yeah, it's quicker and easier, and no doubt cheaper but the cars deserve to be treated to 'period correct' details. I have done my share of lettering on race cars and can testify to the quality of work on this car. Whoever did it should be commended. Tom/Rob, you made the right choice!

BTW, nothing but positive comments on the car from the group I was with. Thanks for bringing her back!

Dennis

sYc
06-23-2003, 09:22 PM
Glad everyone enjoyed the car. The crowd reaction was unreal. Had numerous pro photographers, both freelance and magazine, interested in the car. But, the best part was visting with "the old timers" who remebered the car, and of course Dick. Got to meet Bruce Larsen and see his gorgeous '68 Camaro fc, USA-1 make a side ways pass down the track, watched Arnie "the Farmer" make a couple of passes, saw Grumpy's Toy ? (the pro-stock Vega), just to name a few. All in all, a great weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

68TopStock
06-24-2003, 03:10 AM
I heard Bruce pulled the chute at just the right time. Congratulations Tom and Maurice, hope to see you soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

sYc
06-24-2003, 03:10 PM
The decision to have it hand lettered was made at the last minute. I had debated for weeks which way to go. I knew it had been done by hand in '68, but did not know how/if I could get it done today. But, Mo ran into a guy who not only did lettering, but was a big fan of Dick Harrell and other funny car racers. About ten minutes after he began lettering, I knew I had made the right decision. As good as the car looked before, the hand lettering set it off. I think that is one of the things impressed the crowd at BG, as most of the other cars were vinyl.

Another interesting note about the car. Mo and I had not had time to build a set of headers, but Saturday morning Bob Gibson and Donny Reeves helped us out. We were able to install a set taken off of Dick's '69 World Championship FC that Bob had removed several years ago. not for sure if we will leave them on the car (getting thin) or if we will install a new set. The '69 headers may go into my Supercar Museum.

ORIGLS6
06-24-2003, 06:08 PM
Tom,

I noticed the headers were thin but assumed they might be original to the car. Why not just delete the previous posting and let everyone else think the same??????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Any info to lead you to think the '69 headers may differ from the ones original to your car? At the very least, you have a pattern!

Dennis

moparts
06-24-2003, 09:53 PM
The only bad thing about the 69 headers is they are going to be hard on the new paint job, due to the angle that they turn up on the end. We are considering making some new ones that will exit a little further past the body. The origional one's, the best we can tell, tapered towards the back and didn't come out as far from under the body. If we only fired the engine with the body up we would be ok. So is it new headers or no burnouts? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

moparts
06-25-2003, 01:54 PM
UPDATE!!!
Starting system installed......shifter installed......waiting on more parts

Mo

JoeC
06-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Don't the FC's run double wall tubing to lower the surface temp of the headers? Maybe you can get a set made up to look like the originals but use double wall tubing. just a thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

moparts
06-25-2003, 02:18 PM
That is probally right. Our problem is with these the exhaust flames will be directed at the paint.

davenkc
06-26-2003, 10:56 PM
Tom,
As I have said before you will never hear from me "that is not right" concerning your 68 DH f/c and that still is true. The very fact that it is still alive and now "out there" where people can see it is great! I am pleased beyond how I can express in words! Congratulations to you and Mo on a restoration way beyond what was expected.
I am trying to work out a way to attend the FCR in E-town next month and will let you know per our phone conversation.
I can't wait to see it in person.
Again thanks very much for bringing it back.

Dave Libby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

moparts
06-27-2003, 05:00 PM
UPDATE 2 !!!!!!!!

Fired it off last night.....ears still ringing.....Note to self "don't fire funny car inside shop again".....dust is still falling out of the roof...... and I think I have all the ceiling pannels put back in place......wife thought we had blew the shop up.....suggested I tell her next time before starting it........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

moparts
06-30-2003, 03:08 PM
Update 3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good thing I live out in the country......firing blown big block at 10:30 in town would have drawed a crowd.....sounds real good......sure likes the fuel......down to the short list on things to do......

Chevy454
06-30-2003, 04:43 PM
I think the best story is what happened to the ceiling of your shop when it briefly hit while inside.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif.

Which reminds me...ordered those ear plugs yet?!

moparts
06-30-2003, 05:06 PM
huh....what did you say.....can't hear you....the noise that engine makes is unbelivable....with head phone type protection it still makes more noise than a stock big block with open headers.....and it sure puts on a pretty fire show at night

JoeG
07-02-2003, 03:56 AM
There was a bright glow and rumble on the N.Y. horizon the other day---maybe you should start it up in an underground bunker---------sounds like fun---I SAID IT SOUNDS LIKE FUN---CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!!!!------- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sYc
07-03-2003, 03:50 AM
Did a once over on the FC, including checking starter, ignition, trans/shifter, timing, throttle, etc. Everything checked out OK. Then it was time to wet down the concrete in front of the shop and see if/how it would launch. WOW.
Unbelievable!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif Thanks Mo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif

Chevy454
07-03-2003, 03:56 AM
Words escape me.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

JonC30
07-03-2003, 04:40 AM
One Word..........Awesome

Charley Lillard
07-03-2003, 05:13 AM
So where is a Pic of the Burnout ??????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

ORIGLS6
07-03-2003, 03:19 PM
Tom,
Don't mean to throw a wet blanket on your fun but PLEASE tell me you're wearing a firesuit when you're out there playing! OH, and that you're strapped in!

I know this is recreation (and therapy in some cases) but many of us would really hate to see you become one of your own clients!!! Have fun but take extra care my friend. (Watch him, Rob!)

Dennis

moparts
07-03-2003, 03:28 PM
Well there is a sad story that goes with the pictures.....had my son filming and the battery went dead just as Tom was starting to do the burnout.....but batteries are charged and we won't miss the next one....

moparts
07-03-2003, 03:38 PM
Let me see.....blue jeans.....long sleeve flannel shirt....(its still under 100 degrees here)....safety head phones....a very big smile...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

checking to see how much it will cost to extend my shop driveway for a 1/4 mile............. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

JoeG
07-03-2003, 05:30 PM
moparts,
You better figure in the cost$$---- to put a big rubber-band across the end of your new 1/4 mi. shop driveway.-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif-----JoeG

moparts
07-03-2003, 07:03 PM
Hadn't thought about that big rubber band instead of a return road........just have to get a big catchers mit for the shop door...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif....We were just going to let Tom make 1/8 mile passes.....it's less hard on the seat covers....if you know what I mean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JoeG
07-03-2003, 07:47 PM
moparts,
There have been a few times ,in the past, running cars --where a pair of High-Performance pampers would have given me a sense of being prepared. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif -----What liquid diet is that car on????-----JoeG--

moparts
07-03-2003, 08:03 PM
Alcohol.....and none of that light beer stuff.....High Performance Pampers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif I like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif

moparts
07-07-2003, 05:19 PM
It's done............didn't think I would ever be able to say that........check timing, change oil, check trans. fluid and rear end fluid and Tom is ready to to to York.

sYc
07-07-2003, 05:59 PM
Will have the FC at the upcoming US 30/York show, July 11-12, part of the Supercar Registry display. Should arrive Friday AM. Then in 2 weeks, July 25-26, will make a special appearance at the Funnycar Reunion in Englishtown. Here the car will be united with Dick's daughter Valerie. And, if all goes as planned, will do a burnout or two, and maybe even stage and make a short pass. After that , we hope to have the car at the Gibb show, and of course, at SCR6. At SCR6, we hope to make a short exhibion pass, or at least do a burnout. Heck, if nothing else, fire it up behind the Gateway Center, as that seems to be a very popular place to "air the cars out".

ORIGLS6
07-07-2003, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Heck, if nothing else, fire it up behind the Gateway Center, as that seems to be a very popular place to "air the cars out".

[/ QUOTE ]

Anxiously awaiting a little side-by-side action with "Little Hoss"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

JoeG
07-07-2003, 07:32 PM
moparts,
What was the solution,with the exhaust from the headers affecting the paint???----Hope you didn,t re-route the headers under Tom's seat--That would give the expression--" BEING IN THE HOT SEAT"---a whole new meaning,at least for Tom---Congrats on finishing the car in time--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[ not light]--------JoeG
'

moparts
07-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Well like always I opened my big mouth too soon.....the M&amp;H slicks we were waiting for came in a few min. ago....so looks like we will have to mount them.....and don't everyone jump on us at once but we cut about 3 inches off the headers and fixed the problem.....they exit straight out now instead of turning up.....don't tell Tom but I have a wire coming from the mag to his seat.....kicks in at about 4k.......wonder if there will be anyone at York to help Tom fire the car since I won't be able to make it....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

moparts
07-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Video camera is loaded and waiting.....

JoeG
07-07-2003, 10:09 PM
...don't tell Tom but I have a wire coming from the mag to his seat.....kicks in at about 4k.......wonder if there will be anyone at York to help Tom fire the car since I won't be able to make it....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
moparts,
That would be worst than missing your honeymoon night-------OH,----- Of course not dear ,I was talking about moparts honeymoon not ours -do you really think I would choose a HARRELL FC over you??--be real!!----
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif --------5k would be better---JoeG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

moparts
07-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Since the car doesn't have a rev. limiter.....and knowing how Tom likes to hear big blocks rev......I figure 4 grand to be enough.....he will probally like the shock for about a grand....then start letting off after that...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

honeymoon.....o yea.....thats where the fun climaxed and started its downward spiral......my wife doesn't visit this site........yes dear I'll be right there....o nothing just talking with the guys............. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seattle Sam
07-08-2003, 05:48 PM
I'll be glad to help fire the car, I don't have any alcohol or fuel experience..but I follow directions well! I will be in York all day Friday and Saturday, you can call me at 206-399-9415 or the Comfort Inn 717-699-1919
-Sam

68TopStock
07-10-2003, 06:38 AM
I think Tom will have all the help he needs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

moparts
07-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Well Tom is on his way.....they hit the road heading east...... after dark last night......I think they were going to stop around the St Louis area for the night.........should be up in the York area late tonight.....depending on how many stops they have to make on the way...........

JoeC
07-10-2003, 02:39 PM
here is a picture of Tom C driving the FC on to the trailer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
07-10-2003, 03:34 PM
No ramps needed!

moparts
07-10-2003, 03:52 PM
That did kind of look like him leaving the diveway to my shop.......is the guy behind him coming down or still on his way up?........that kind of looks like me and rob trying to get out of his way....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

JoeG
07-10-2003, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That did kind of look like him leaving the diveway to my shop............. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

HOUSTON---WE HAVE LIFT OFF!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

moparts
07-11-2003, 06:15 PM
Tom just called from York......sounds like car is a big hit....fired it up fresh out of the trailer just to clean the rocks off the parking lot...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

SS427
07-11-2003, 06:29 PM
Tom just called from York......sounds like car is a big hit....fired it up fresh out of the trailer just to clean the rocks off the parking lot......

or part the clouds................. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

Charles
07-14-2003, 01:02 AM
Hello Rob: Thanks for the great pictures of the DH funny car. Maybe Jon Asher has some old shots of the car if he is still around?

68TopStock
07-18-2003, 05:00 PM
Tom,

How did last weekend turn out? Did Dale get to have some fun?

sYc
07-18-2003, 05:45 PM
Ken, this past weekend, at the York US30 show, was just a warm up for Dale, as we were not at a track, thus the car was fired only, no burnouts. Dale and Valerie Harrell will be with the car at Englishtown (Raceway Park) next weekend, July 27th. Val will have on display memorabilia related to the car, as well as selling some really neat DH t-shirts. In addition, Dave Libby, who wrenched on the car in '68, is schedule to be at Etown. If all goes as planned, we could have Dale driving, Dave helping fire the car and Val directing it on the track. WOW!!!

davenkc
07-19-2003, 03:10 AM
Tom.
That is a true statement I will be there with Craig who
is the owner of Dick's 67 car (promise it will appear next year). If a "tow car" is needed we will have a new suburban
there for duty
Dave /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

sYc
07-19-2003, 02:06 PM
Excellent!! Ought to be a great time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

68TopStock
07-28-2003, 07:06 PM
How did the weekend go? Any pics?

JoeC
07-28-2003, 07:42 PM
there are some here
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=other&amp;Number=46442&amp;page=0&amp; view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1

69RSZ
07-28-2003, 11:48 PM
it was great to see all the old funny cars there,and the ZL-1 towing the dick harrell funny car was cool to see.after standing next to that ZL-1 while it was running i kinda wish i had bought one instead of my 02 ss 35th perf edition car.BUT i dont think it would have passed N.J. inspection.awsome car though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

Ron C
69RSZ
02 SS 35th perf edition #11
71 SS LS5