PDA

View Full Version : 69 Camaro Drag Car

Clint_69
08-14-2003, 11:43 PM
This is a question for the drag Race fans in the NY and surrounding area. Does anybody out there remember a 69 Camaro Drag Car that raced with the name Vitar Engineering on the car? I am researching the car and would like some info/pictures if possible. I believe the car ran SS/DA and SS/EA in late 69 and into the early 70s. It had some magazine coverage in or around 1970. Any help or info is much appreciated.

JoeC
08-15-2003, 02:05 PM
Was Vitar Engineering a auto trans shop? They sponsored the Ed Hedrick Yenko Camaro and used it in one of their ads. They sponsored a few cars on the "Grumpys Group" team. I think just the auto trans cars.

Clint_69
08-15-2003, 02:12 PM
Yes, you are correct. They were transmission builders. The company changed names at some point in the 70s to Select Performance. I did not realize that they sponsored other cars. Good info.

Chevy454
08-15-2003, 02:19 PM
So...is the car gonna remain in the 10 second range?

Clint_69
08-15-2003, 04:05 PM
Good observation Rob. Yes, the car will will be kept in the 10 second range. Not many COPOs still running as active drag cars. I will take the car back to its early 70s paint scheme. I will be posting pictures of the car soon. Anybody who has any additional pictures or info on the car please let me know as I am trying to complete my research. The car is amazing with only 215 orlginal drag race miles. The car retains all of its original body panels and the car is spotless. It appears to have always been indoors. The car has never been on the street and always on the track. The car has some early magazine coverage from the 70s as well as some pictures of the car from 70/71/72. Real cool car and I excited about being the new owner. It has misc. placques on the dash and one is from Englishwown and says points leader 1974 and I beleive the car has a win at Indy. Still a large puzzle.

Chevy454
08-15-2003, 04:10 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif WAY COOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

JoeC
08-15-2003, 04:16 PM
Is it the old AL Olster car One Step Beyond

MosportGreen66
08-15-2003, 04:17 PM
Lets get some pictures! Nothing beats an unrestored original!

sixtiesmuscle
08-15-2003, 07:15 PM
That's intersting Clint. If this car has been raced recently, it would be a shock if it still had "all original sheet metal". Guys racing today have usually trashed the fenders, hood, & trunk, at least, to save weight. Are you saying none of this was done, and, the car wasn't tubbed, etc? I spoke with a guy in Iowa who claimed to have a car like this awhile back. Was he able to confirm it as a Copo?

Clint_69
08-15-2003, 08:05 PM
If you talked to the guy in Iowa about this car, you would know that it was tubbed, right? Did I say it wasn't tubbed? Yes, that is the car in Iowa and yes it is a COPO. The car was tubbed but done very well and they did not "hack the car up" as it was a professional job. It does retain the original body panels as stated by current and previous owners and from what I could see on the vehicle the panels looked to have not been replaced (no seams and there are several remnents of orange paint) . The front clip was "dipped" so the metal is thinner on the fenders and I can only go by what the previous owners say about the fenders being original since it is unlikely that I will find orange paint on them. Other than that, no rust, dents or anything. It is a nice, solid piece. Original cowl hood still has the induction flapper. It is a complete time capsule that is in remarkable condition. It is a full race piece though. Has a cage, with wheel tubs, electronics etc. Car will retain wheel tubs and cage but other than that it will be taken back to what it was around 1970. It has always been a drag car and as long as I own it, it will stay one. I just wouldn't feel right taking it out of it's history as a race car. Are you in the Chicago area? If you are not busy some weekend, have a drive to Cedar Falls and have a look at the car. Maybe you can offer up some info about the cars setup as it may have been in the 70s since you seem to know about these cars. Forgot to mention that I have complete owner history on this car and the original owner is still alive. He purchased and drove the car under it's first name "Vitar Engineering". He appears with car in the February, 1971 edition of Super Street Cars. Won SS/EA class win at AHRA Nationals in August of 1970 and the magazine has pictures and a write up on the car. Still doing tons of research and it just keeps flooding in.

hvychev
08-15-2003, 08:18 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif Cool Clint I can't wait to see pics and maybe a vintage pic or two!

sixtiesmuscle
08-15-2003, 09:09 PM
Just wondering if it was the same car. No one loves old drag cars more than me, so, I agree with your approach. I'm glad you were able to come up with some proof as to it being a Copo. I wasn't able to find anything of substance, so, congrats on some great research work.

Stefano
08-15-2003, 09:17 PM
Sixties,
You must have been too busy chase'in cars in some other part of the country.

sYc
08-15-2003, 09:32 PM
Most likley chasing some old '70 drag car, and "grumpy" at that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Stefano
08-15-2003, 09:48 PM
He has been a bit "Grumpy" lately.

Stefano
08-15-2003, 10:10 PM
Clint,
Do you know the selling dealer for your COPO race car and how it was equipped when new?

sixtiesmuscle
08-15-2003, 10:19 PM
All right guys. Quit pickin' on the old guy. This is Clint's thread, so, let's leave my junk out of it.

chevelleman
08-15-2003, 10:29 PM
Does any one have any info on the Al Olster Camaro or any good pics, (color)? I have seen a few on www.thevintageracer.com/ (http://www.thevintageracer.com/) but they are limited and don't give any info on the car.

resto4u
08-16-2003, 07:55 PM
Clint, have you ran the car down the track yet? Roger

68l30
08-16-2003, 08:58 PM
Heres the car..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

Steve

JoeG
08-16-2003, 09:11 PM
I remember a gasser with the large Vitar logo----never saw this car thanks!!

Clint_69
08-17-2003, 02:13 AM
Thanks for posting the article. Where did you come across it? Do you know anything else about the car Steve? Cool!

68l30
08-17-2003, 02:55 PM
I found the artical in the mag you mentioned.I know there are some ad's with the same car in them,I'm still looking.There is a nice article on the Byrne Bros. Z-28 after this one and a very nice "Meet the Mean Ones" article on Yenko and more on Motion.This is a great mag to get if you can find it.AHRA section has nice pics of the Harrell funney car,two Booth-Arons 67 Camaros and Durhams ZL-1.I really have no other knowledge of the Vitar car except what I have read in these mags.......

Steve

Charles
08-18-2003, 12:11 PM
The Al Olster COPO Camaro was delivered through Ammon R. Smith Chevrolet at York, PA. in February 1969. The race program got off to a poor start. The car ran 7 tenths off the then current 11.47 SS/EA record. The car suffered through a number of transmission and engine failures. One time Al backed the car off the truck and the engine and transmission both let go! Vinnie Tarantola did some transmission work that improved the performance. There were further problems when a torque converter went at the Super Stock Nationals. More transmission work and engine work were needed. The car qualified with low et. at the Indy Nationals but was ejected because the combustion chambers lacked ONE cubic millimeter.
Dave Strickler ran a 10.97 at 124 in Dallas when the drivetrain from Al's car was put in Dave's SS/J car. Drag racing even with the best of help can be a frustrating and expensive experience.

Chevy454
08-18-2003, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The car qualified with low et. at the Indy Nationals but was ejected because the combustion chambers lacked ONE cubic millimeter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geesh...he could have picked up several times that with a simple plug change!

JoeC
08-18-2003, 02:08 PM
here is a pic of Al O car. The Vitar decal is on lower front Q-panel. It has "Grumpy's Group" on rear of spoiler like ED H's Yenko Camaro drag car and other Grumpy tuned cars. It has SS emblem on fender but none on back so maybe Al put it on because 427 COPO should have no SS emblems.

chevelleman
08-18-2003, 03:44 PM
Thanks again for the pic Joe, You must have a stack of old race photo's. And thanks for the info Charles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

JoeC
08-18-2003, 04:47 PM
Charles did you know Al Olster?

Z28fan
08-18-2003, 06:13 PM
Does anyone remember the colors for the Olster car? I assume it's white, not yellow. I've been trying to find a color picture of this car so I can build a diecast replica of it. I searched all over at the York Reunion but there were no shots to be found. I'm a big fan of "Grumpy" Jenkins and have built replicas of the Hedrick Yenko & Musser Bros. Camaro but have been unable to find any color information on the Olster car. Stripe colors? Door lettering? I'd appriciate any information. Click the attachment for another shot of the car.

Z28fan
08-18-2003, 06:17 PM
And one more!

Mike
08-18-2003, 08:26 PM
I'm confused. Is "One Step Beyond I" and "Vitar" one in the same Camaro or are they two separate cars? If they are two cars has "One Step Beyond I" been found?

Mike

Salvatore
08-18-2003, 08:29 PM
Clint, I believe that Vinnie Tarantola had a mechanic/helper by the name of Paul Kauffman. He worked with Bernie Agaman with the killer corvette (1971) 454. Truppi-Kling in Lakewood, N.J. may be able to help you out with locating these people. I think Dan Jessel can help also. Good luck! Sam

olredalert
08-18-2003, 09:06 PM
------I saw Byrne Bros mentioned and thought I would add that "Red Alert" was ordered at their dealership on 11/11/69,and the warrantee book says Bob Hamilton picked it up 1/7/70.Salesman was Bill Barnett.Even though I dont own the ol girl anymore Id love to talk to Bill if hes still around.They were located on Virginia Road in North White Plains,N.Y.Dont know if the dealership is still open or not.Can anyone tell me?.........Bill S

Salvatore
08-18-2003, 09:19 PM
Clint, Jesel's number is 732-901-1800. He is the valve train guy. He might know where Paul Kaufman or V. Tarantola is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

68l30
08-18-2003, 09:29 PM
I know Barnett was the Hi-Po salesmen at the time....He drove the Bros. Z-28 with the motor built by Truppi-Kling......Good question..Is he still around?

Steve

JoeC
08-18-2003, 09:40 PM
My Yenko Chevelle was from Byrne and I met the parts guy Jerry Roberts who worked there in the 60s-70s. He told me that Bill had a restaurant in FL which I found and called and they said a Bill Barnett did own the Restaurant. He was never there when I called and I left messages for him to call me but never did. I am not sure if I had the right guy or not. Jerry was interesting guy to talk to. Still remembers many BB part numbers and said they sold many BB crate motors. Sometimes 4 or 5 would get picked up on a Sat. morning.

JoeC
08-18-2003, 09:49 PM
Byrne Bro Chevy closed in the 70s I believe. Another thing Jerry told me was at one point they were selling about one 69 Z/28 a day! This could be true because the original owner of my Chevelle had recalled that when he first went to Byrne the whole place was filled with 69 Zs.

Clint_69
08-18-2003, 10:43 PM
The cars are two seperate cars. To my knowlege, the "One Step Beyond" car has not been found. Sam, I appreciate the lead. I already have contact info on Vinnie Tarantola but again, I appreciate the info.
I spoke with the second owner today who campaigned the car under the name "Select Performance". The car was apparently heavily campaigned under the "Select Performance" name in the mid 70s. I have additional pictures on the way when the car ran under that name. Also, I will attach photos of the car when it ran under the "Vitar" name in the next few days.
Vitar Engineering is now called Select Performance. The second owner of the car actually bought the car from Vinnie Tarantola who was his boss at the time. He also bought Vitar Engineering. Real interesting story. I have some old drag footage of the car running too. Neat stuff!
I am still researching the originating dealer. Any additional info is appreciated. You guys have been a great help already. Keep the info coming!

Clint_69
08-18-2003, 10:49 PM
Does anybody know if the "One Step Beyond" car was a COPO? Again, as a reminder, the "One Step Beyond" car and my (Vitar) car, are two seperate cars.

Mr70
08-18-2003, 10:56 PM
My screen sux today.
Can anyone tell me what that car is in the lane next to the camaro that Z28fan just posted?
from here I see a GM A-body Convert.,possibly a 1970 Chevelle?

Clint_69
08-18-2003, 11:04 PM
That is exactly the way it appears to me as well. I can not quite make out the name on the door though.

copo69
08-18-2003, 11:11 PM
The Chevelle is Ray Allen's '70 LS6 ragtop. That car was really a killer in SS. The Camaro is "One Step Beyond II" and I think "I" was a SS mopar (memory??). Jeff, one of the board members on an old SS newsgroup I'm on is trying to get Al online... said he has lots of pics. Anybody know anything about the Musser Bros. Chevelle, like color. class, etc. I understand the Mussers are still around also. I don't know if Olster's car was a COPO but grille was changed early as it's not correctly painted. My guess is probably like Jenkins' car and is a converted SS.
Greg S.

Salvatore
08-19-2003, 01:30 AM
This is a neat thread because these cars are from my area. Musser bros had a 1969 427 chevelle. (Jenkins Competition) I don't think the car was a COPO. I was at Maple Grove Dragway when with a 4 speed Barry Musser ran a 10.99 in SS/D. Supposedely the first 10 second SS/D run. The car was blue. They won there class at Indy and painted the car white and messed around with an automatic once and a while. I probably could find out where that car went, if I can find the right people. Musser's really didn't keep up with the cars after they sold them. They had one of the first 1967 Z/28's around. Went to a 68 Z, then to a big block camaro and chevelle. I believe Al Olsters car was a 375 H.P. car originally. The picture with Ray Allen racing Al Olster is Maple Grove. Mohnton, Pa. Keep this stuff coming, My 50 year old mind is exploding. Sam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

chevelleman
08-19-2003, 02:14 AM
Anyone have any pics of the musser bros Chevelle? I have seen some on www.thevintageracer.com/ (http://www.thevintageracer.com/) but that's it.

olredalert
08-19-2003, 02:24 AM
------Its a 70 Chevelle convert and has Ray Allen on the door.Any guesses as to which car it is.Also says SS/EA on the window.If the pic was color I do believe it would be green,No?Im having a brain fart.Is it blue or green?...........Bill S

------Just realized that I hadnt seen all the posts,and the Ray A. connection had already been mentioned.Sorry to all........Bill S

SS427
08-19-2003, 03:22 AM
It's a 70 Chevelle convert that looks like Ray Allen as the driver. I cannot read the name on the door however.
Rick

JoeG
08-19-2003, 03:48 AM
SS427,
It is Ray ALLEN---Briggs Chevrolet[on door]--JoeG

copo69
08-19-2003, 04:18 AM
Allen car was blue

JoeG
08-19-2003, 04:23 AM
copo69,
Was that the Ontario Nationals '71??---JoeG

copo69
08-19-2003, 04:25 AM
Sam, Musser Chevelle was blue? What color was their Camaro...pics I've seen look off white, possibly Butternut Yellow. Do you remember color combo on Olster's Camaro? Greg

By the way someone stole my stars!!!!!!!!!!

JoeG
08-19-2003, 04:34 AM
copo69,
Nice Photo------twinkle/twinkle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Have to check other colors---

hvychev
08-19-2003, 04:37 AM
This is an old "wild tubes" catalog of Hooker Headers that I have from 1971. The Ray Allen Chevelle is the last car.

Man is the quality crap whwen you have to resize them so small! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

copo69
08-19-2003, 04:37 AM
Wow, now if the wife felt the same way.....

copo69
08-19-2003, 04:41 AM
another Allen pic... this thing kicked the crap out of the Mopars in class

hvychev
08-19-2003, 04:45 AM
Here is the left hand page of the Hooker catalog.

copo69
08-19-2003, 04:46 AM
Joe, I think it's a Ray Mann photo at Ontario

JoeG
08-19-2003, 04:49 AM
Frank,
That's a really nice catalog--you pick that up or your Dad had it floating around??--JoeG

JoeG
08-19-2003, 04:56 AM
copo69,
Thanks!!!! for those photos[especially the colored one] --been looking for some photos of Ray Allen for the last couple of weeks-----If you were a Woman this conversation could get heated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

chevelleman
08-19-2003, 05:03 AM
ERTL Mic is going to build a 1/18 scale diecast of the Ray Allen 70 Chevelle.Be on the look out for it by the end of the year.

JoeG
08-19-2003, 05:14 AM
chevelleman,
Thanks for the tip----I might have a colored photo of Musser Bros Chevrolet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I'LL have to check in the next couple of days.--JoeG

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-19-2003, 11:36 AM
JoeC;
If I email you a photo of the Huckleberry Hound (with Musser Bros. car in background), can you detach it for me - I messed it up somehow.

JoeC
08-19-2003, 11:54 AM
yes send it

Mr70
08-19-2003, 12:58 PM
This Thread is terrific..
First the Al Olster Camaro,then Ray Allens 70 Convert,now the Huckleberry hound car..
What a great group you all are! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif
Hey Musclecarkid..You out there?

JoeC
08-19-2003, 02:01 PM
this is the big pic

JoeC
08-19-2003, 02:02 PM
this is the Chevelle with fish on door

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-19-2003, 02:24 PM
Thanks JoeC!
Very cool pic, eh? The HH car is indeed a COPO car, black, a/t! Not sure what the Chevelle is, any Musser experts out there know? Wasn't Musser Chev in Reading, PA?

Mr70
08-19-2003, 02:29 PM
Great Pix Marlin & Joe!
I've never seen the HH camaro Before.
What is written inside the Fish on that Chevelle,and who drove it?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-19-2003, 02:39 PM
Sorry, it's not Musser Chev. now that I have pulled the real picture from my file here, it says Bob Fisher Chev. inside the fish on the door. The Musser Bros. were the drivers I believe. I think Greg may have mentioned this on the other HH thread so I hope I remembered it correctly - I was engrossed by the Camaro!

Verne_Frantz
08-19-2003, 03:11 PM
That fish looks a heck of a lot like the one on the door of my '61 (described in the "Mousie Brown" thread.)
Anyone know where Fisher Chevrolet was? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
Verne.
PS: I'll contact Joel and see if he can dig up any more info on the Chevelle.

JoeC
08-19-2003, 03:15 PM
The Chevelle is in SS/EA was that the 427 class or 396? I think it was 396.

Charles
08-19-2003, 03:33 PM
The Al Olster 1969 Camaro was white with a black interior. The broad stripe down the middle of the car was medium blue. The Camaro was ordered by Al and took four months to arrive. February was about the time the COPO Camaros started showing up at the dealers? The back panel was black between the tail lights, but the Jenkins 1969 SS/C car also had that paint effect and Jenkins had one of his 1970 1/2 Camaro Pro Stockers painted that way. Even the panel below the rear bumper was painted black on the 70 1/2 Camaro. The motors were painted black and the gas tank painted white... The front grill on the 1969 Jenkins SS/C car was black. That was the made up ZL-1 car that started out as a L-78. Rather than waiting 4 months, Al could have picked up a L-78 Camaro as the starting point for his SS/EA car; instead he waited...for a real 427 Camaro?

Chevy454
08-19-2003, 03:59 PM
If it's set up like the NHRA of today...

...then a natural "D" car could run in "E" if they added weight.

For example: I *believe* the W-31s were natural "E" cars (like the Deuces) back in the day, but a LOT of them ran in "F".

olredalert
08-19-2003, 04:55 PM
------LS6 hardtops generally ran SS/DA.The convertables ran SS/EA as they had more weight to lug down the quarter.Im sure the adding of weight happened alot,but both Red Alert and the convert always ran their accepted class as far as I know..............Bill S

Z28fan
08-19-2003, 06:13 PM
The car pictured racing "One Step Beyond" is a 70 Chevelle convertible that was driven by Ray Allen. Here's a better picture of it.
http://pstr-m04.ygpweb.aol.com/data3/00B/01/95/8F/05/cUUeJeCK2bLmu7jWYcMDTlO0ZggDV++70180.jpg

Z28fan
08-19-2003, 06:28 PM
Since we got on the subject of the Musser's cars, here's a pick I have of the Musser Bros. Camaro.
Thanks to all for the info on these cars.

Salvatore
08-19-2003, 08:13 PM
Mussers chevelle was blue than white. I believe all his camaros, starting with 1967 were white. They also ran a 1961 corvette that was runner-up at Indy in 66?? Car was sold to Carmen Rotonda.

Salvatore
08-19-2003, 08:15 PM
I have some. Sam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Salvatore
08-19-2003, 08:20 PM
Verne, Fisher Chevrolet is still in Reading. Musser was sponsored by Fisher Bros. and Marshall Chevrolet both in Reading. Not sure if Marshall is still there. Sam

Verne_Frantz
08-19-2003, 08:50 PM
Sam,
Thanks a lot! I'm getting overly anxious that I may have stumbled onto a clue re: my '61. If he ran in '61, there's another clue. My '61 is white now and that fish on the door is very close to the other two cars. I've been sanding but haven't uncovered any lettering yet.
I appreciate the response. I know the '61 query is very out of place here.
Verne.

Stefano
08-19-2003, 09:30 PM
Very few L72 COPOs other than Yenkos were built in January,however L72 Iron Blocks were readily available over the counter for those who wanted to build there own 427 Camaro.

Charles
08-20-2003, 02:24 AM
Thanks Stefano for the details. It is unclear if the Al Olster Camaro began as a 396 or a 427. The Camaro had SS emblems and "427" was also put on the cowl hood. Al Olster was the runner-up with Dave Strickler in the WCS Super Stock points in 1970. When two of the Jenkins cars went to Dallas for the finals they had installed the drive train from Al Olster's car in the Strickler SS/J car. The NHRA officials would not allow Dave Strickler to race the car because he had not run an automatic in the car at any of the WCS meets. Bill Jenkins ran into the same problem with his SS/C Camaro that arrived with a trick automatic transmission. For the same reason he could not run with the automatic setup. He converted the car back to a 4 speed but could not come close to the record that had been set by Arlen Vanke. While Dave Strickler had gone 10.97 there was the potential to go even faster because the chassis setup for the 4 speed SS/J car was not the same as Al's automatic Camaro chassis setup.
Later 1970 would turned out to be a pretty good year for Dave Strickler when he became the first Pro Stock Champion in Division One. He accomplished this with the spare Jenkins Competition 1970 1/2 Camaro. Jenkins ended up tied for fourth place with John Petrie.

Musclecarkid
08-20-2003, 04:11 AM
Hey Jeff, That pic of Al Olster vs. Ray Allen looks like it was taken at Maple Grove Dragway in PA. I have a simular photo taken when Ray Allen won the S/S Circuit Meet on August 8, 1970. This is shown in the August 21, 1970 issue of "Drag News". That cross-over bridge in the back ground is the key to identifing the track. Can anybody on this board make a quality photo copy on glossy paper and send one to me? Many of you know I'm researching the Ray Allen SS/EA LS6 Chevelle convertible. I've started a cool web page if you want to see it, click on musclecarkids profile, then on home page. Thanks a lot for your help guys.......Kevin

Clint_69
08-20-2003, 05:46 PM
Does anybody have a name or contact info on any photographers that may have taken pictures at the New York National Dragway in the late 60s or early 70s? Anybody collect or sell pictures in the area?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-20-2003, 08:09 PM
An old-school photography outfit named "PHOTOGRAPHY BY JAN ELLIOTT" surely took pics of your car being raced at NYIR.

Didn't VITAR sponsor a pair of NJ Mopars in '69, one being a station wagon? I think the pics are in one of the SSDI's with the Yenko Camaro or Chevelle tests.

BTW, I have the phone # for the guy we spoke about yesterday, I'll try to call him tonight to see what he knows about the orange COPO from Wallace Chev!

Clint_69
08-20-2003, 08:41 PM
That is excellent Marlin. I certainly appreciate the help. Keep me posted on your findings. Thanks again.

Clint_69
08-20-2003, 09:11 PM
Marlin,
Do you know where this photography outfit is located or if they are still in business?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
08-20-2003, 10:00 PM
Actually, I do not. There was a stamp on the back of one of the pictures that I purchased at the funny car reunion last month at Englishtown, NJ. Maybe JoeC or Brian Potter has some additional info on these old photographers, since they got lots of good pics as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Salvatore
08-20-2003, 10:08 PM
Charles, You got the Grump group down pat! You must be an old Division 1 racer. I think when they took Olsters drive train out of his car to go into Stricklers, was the first time they removed the 302 for the big block. Daves car started out as an early 1969 Z/28 with a flat hood. Saw him run at Cecil and Maplegrove with that car often. I don't think the 302 made it back into the car. Sam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

Verne_Frantz
08-21-2003, 01:43 PM
Clint,
I'd suggest you contact Joel Naprstek for early photos.
[email protected]

Verne.

Mike
08-21-2003, 02:12 PM
What did they do with Al's car? Did they sell it off or run it the next year with a different motor? Anybody know?

Mike

Clint_69
08-21-2003, 04:12 PM
Thanks Verne. I will send him an email. I will let you know if I can find anything from him. I appreciate it.

Clint_69
08-26-2003, 05:03 PM
If anybody is interested, here are some pictures of the way I found my car.

Clint_69
08-26-2003, 05:04 PM
Another

Clint_69
08-26-2003, 05:06 PM
Another one

Clint_69
08-26-2003, 05:06 PM
Another one.

Clint_69
08-26-2003, 05:07 PM
One more.

Salvatore
08-26-2003, 08:11 PM
Hi Clint, Great pictures! Are you planning on keeping the tubbs, or putting it back with the 12 bolt and 10 inch tires? Have you had any luck contacting the boys in N.Y. or N.J. for any help? Love the old ORIGINAL race cars. Day 2 from the get go! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif Thanks for posting. Sam

Clint_69
08-26-2003, 08:38 PM
Thanks for asking. Yes, several leads are starting to pan out and 99% of those leads have come from sYc board members. I have several vintage pictures on the way and some other documentation. I appreciate the help.
The car will stay a race car and will be put back into the early "Vitar" paint scheme. It will stay tubbed. I am very excited about the project considering it will not take much to complete.

sixtiesmuscle
08-26-2003, 09:06 PM
Very cool car. Congrats!!

chevelleman
08-26-2003, 09:40 PM
That is a great looking car. Can't wait to se it finished up the way it should be. Good luck on finding the info you need. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Salvatore
08-26-2003, 10:27 PM
Clint I think you are doing right. I hope you are going to try to focus on the speed equipment of that time and not the new stuff. The car will be awsome in not much more than a real good day 2 style race car of that era. The old race cars that stay old when restored are the best. If those old cars could only talk. Saw that Vitar car run at Raceway park on Sunday afternoons many times. Englishtown was a haven for very strong stock and super stock cars from N.E.D.(1). Many of the surrounding N.J. and N.Y. dealers offered muscle cars for sale and tried to out do each other. Was good advertisement. The dealers back then would basically install any performance part you wanted. Have fun! Sam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

Chevy454
08-26-2003, 11:09 PM
Cool car! Is that "SS/D" on the windshield? Was he running it at any NHRA events or is that what the car originally ran in? Any chance of that thing ever making any passes down memory lane, or maybe a drag strip? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Clint_69
08-26-2003, 11:32 PM
Sam, that is very cool! I am excited that you had the opportunity to see the car back then! I love to hear the old stories. The car will be taken back to a period piece to include old technology. Rob, the car did run SS/DA and EA both. I have pictures of the car in each class. The car ran NHRA and UHRA but mostly UHRA in the early 70s. When the car is finished, I intend to take the car back east so that the people who remember the car will be able to see it. I have heard something about an east coast nostalgic club that I may contact to see what events they have. Also, I will probably end up taking the car down the track a few times but only for fun at select events. As far as the cars future, it will no longer be a competitive drag car that frequently runs the strip. I have been quite surprised at the number of people who remember this car. Mostly the folks out east but everyone remembers Vinnie and the car. Neat stuff!!!! Thanks again to everyone on the board who has and continues to help with the research.

Chevy454
08-26-2003, 11:46 PM
Do you know what kind of ETs the car ran in SS/DA and SS/EA trim?

Clint_69
08-27-2003, 12:25 AM
I do not know specifics but early on, the car ran very close to a flat 11 seconds per a magazine article that I read from around 1970. I think that the car was running the SS/DA class at that time but I am not sure. The car recently has run times in the high 9s and very low 10s. Enough to put you back in the seat.