PDA

View Full Version : 1966 Corvette purchased-modified from Yenko Chev

ygeeoh
08-21-2003, 06:05 AM
Hi, I am interested in finding any information on a 1966 Vette that was purchased and modified from Yenko Chevrolet in 1966. Would anyone have records or some type of build sheet for this car that had racing modifications. Is any of Yenko Chevrolet sold and/or modified car records available for viewing or purchase. Thanks in advance for any help.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifygeeoh

olredalert
08-25-2003, 03:51 AM
------Are you perhaps refering to the white/red interior "Best Photo" sponsored 66 roadster?That car was discovered years ago by a friend of mine and later restored at Kevin Mackays Corvette shop on Long Island.It was for sale at Barrett/Jackson a couple of years ago.Not sure if it sold and cant remember the owners name now,but I could find out.It was one of the 15 M-22 delivered 66s,and is the only Mid-year I ever heard of that was produced and delivered with neither the soft or hard top.........Bill S

TimG
08-25-2003, 01:30 PM
There was a great article on this car in Vette or Corvette Fever within the past few years. I have heard many stories about 66 Corvettes with L72 and M22 having some other engine modifications from the factory. Motion got one of these cars in 66 and when they got into the engine, they found some unusual factory modifications. These engines may have been related to the 67 L88's.

JoeC
08-25-2003, 01:39 PM
There was a article or ad that said this 66 Yenko Corvette was one of two built with a special engine code. Anyone know if this is true? If anyone could have recieved a special Corvette, Yenko would be the dealer to get one but don't know. They would normally rebuild the engine before they raced it but maybe Chevy gave them some type of special engine with the car?

SuperCars
08-26-2003, 03:28 AM
I don't believe that the Yenko/Best Photo Vette is one of only two special Vettes built. There were only 15 L72-M22 Vettes built, which is still a small number.

But, there were 2 Daytona Vettes special ordered to Race at Daytona in 1966; and were delivered in Florida. One was raced by the Penske team and is currently owned by Kevin MacKay. MacKay says these Daytona Vettes are an early version L88, but there is confusion with having cast iron versus aluminum heads? The other 66 Daytona Vette special ordered to race at Daytona is my Silver 66 Big Tank L72-M22 Vette. My Vette was raced by a lesser known team, yet it was the car featured on the front cover of the 1966 Corvette News magazine. Also was an article inside about these 2 Daytona Vettes competing at Daytona; as 1966 was the first year that Daytona jumped from a 12 hour race to the full 24 hour race.

These two are confirmed by Al Grenning whom is a Historian/Author with NCRS, has the factory documents (won't give me copies) of my Vette and the Penske Vette. He states they were built with special motors unlike any other L72. I tried persistently for copies, but at the time, he claims they were given to him in strict confidence; and told not to be copied. I have two very frustrating car situations like this, being unable to get copies. But I am convinced and have no doubt, that these 66 Daytona Vettes were special ordered, with special L72 motor.

SuperCars
08-26-2003, 03:44 AM
My 66 Daytona Vette on front cover of Corvette News

http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/yenko.net/66Daytona.jpg

SuperCars
08-26-2003, 03:46 AM
This is the Penske Vette on the back cover. Note the Yenko Stinger Pit area right behind Penske's Pit area. Maybe it was after this race at Daytona, Yenko figured the Stinger was not the right car to race, and the Yenko/Best Photo Vette was ordered. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/yenko.net/66Penske.jpg

ygeeoh
08-26-2003, 04:38 AM
Thanks ALL for the excellent replies.
I have looked at most of the information mentioned (need to get the back issue of Corvette Fever magazine). Here is some more history on the 66 Corvette. The car was originally white according to the data plate (currently it is red) and it did have a 427 hood and a 350 ci replacement engine and 4 speed transmission (not the M22) 16 years ago at the time of purchase. The hood was replaced with a 327 ci standard version hood and the 350 ci engine was replaced with a 327 ci corvette engine of the correct year etc. but missing the matching vin (unfortunately). The car has both the soft and hard tops. Most recent history on the car is a person has looked at the car after doing some research in finding its current location (MD). He stated it was from Yenko Chevrolet when new where it was also was modified for racing including a roll bar and a short racing type windshield. The car was raced for a few years. A few pictures of the car that were taken during its racing period were shown and that is why I am inquiring as I was given information I didn't know anything about until recently. I can't distinguish if the car ever had these modifications and if it was returned to a modified stock car afterward.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif*****NICE car SuperCars.******

Thanks again for great help.

ygeeoh
08-29-2003, 04:28 AM
Hi.,
I was wondering if there is a vin number list of the 15 cars and there options and if anyone would know the history and or location (on display somewhere?) of any of those 1966 Corvettes.

Thanks again for the replies.

MosportGreen66
08-29-2003, 12:11 PM
Can someone please post picture for me. At the 2003 Metro Long Island NCRS Chapter Meet Kevin Mckay's Penske car was there and also the "Best Photo" car.

-Dan

ChrisS
08-31-2003, 03:43 PM
SuperCars,
Saw your '66 at one of the conventions, Galveston maybe? Does it have the orginal drivetrain? I'm specifically interested in the engine assembly code on these cars. I've spoken to Al on a couple of occassions, but he has said the information he has is not conclusive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif