PDA

View Full Version : Yenko at Daytona

HoosierDaddy
08-21-2003, 04:18 PM
Did Yenko win the "Daytona Citrus 250"? If he did what car was he driving and what year did he win it? I have a Nankivell advertisement from the Indianapolis newspaper that says "Just received 6 "427" Yenko Camaros, replica Daytona Citrus 250 winner". A person from this board said they thought that it refered to the 69 Camaro pace cars that were also advertised. They thought that the add refered to the Daytona pace car as Indy pace car replica.

Thanks, Chris

sYc
08-21-2003, 04:50 PM
In '69, Don did indeed win the Citrus 250 at Daytona. This was against racers from all sorts of racing backgronds, sort of like IROC. The plaque he received and numerous pics, articles, etc from his estate are in the museum.

The car Don was driving was listed as a '69 Camaro, but some believe it may have actually been a '68, maybe the famed Yunick car, now owned by Vic Edlebrock.

Supercar_Kid
08-21-2003, 05:44 PM
The car in question was indeed a 68, not a 69. My brother has a few photos of Don standing in front of this car in victory lane. Car was #11, and was sponsored by BEST Photography. As for the "replica" advertised for sale at Nankivell, I would guess your friend is right, and they are actually referring to a 69 Indy 500 pace car replica, as this dealer was based in Indianapolis and would have had an easy time getting a few pace cars. In fact, Nankivell reportedly took delivery of a large number of the '67 Indy 500 festival cars, Camaros, big Chevrolets, trucks, etc. Perhaps they even had a '67 pace car there they were referring to in the ad.

HoosierDaddy
08-21-2003, 07:43 PM
I e-mailed a copy of the add to sYc to see if they would post it for me. I think once it's seen, it will look as if the add is refering to the 427 Yenko Camaros as the "Daytona Citrus 250" replicas. It also says that they have 60 new Camaros in stock!! I grew up in Indy,not far from Nankivell, and remember Nankivell. My Yenko came from Nankivell. I remember seeing a rallye green with white 69 Yenko Camaro at Nankivell when I was younger. I was told that Nankivell had only one rallye green/white car. If that was correct, I now have that car....little did I know I would own that car many years later.

Thanks, Chris

Supercar_Kid
08-21-2003, 08:00 PM
Thats not correct... the rally green/white car in the "Cars for sale" section came from Broadway Chevrolet, and was found with the original paint and stripes (rally green/white) before restoration. I would also guess there were/are more 69 Yenkos out there in that combo as well. Its a neat color, and looks much better with white stripes than black IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

HoosierDaddy
08-21-2003, 09:06 PM
Supercar Kid,
I'm not sure what you are stating about the rallye green/white car in "the cars for sale" section. I'm not saying my car is the only rallye green/white car. What I meant was I think mine was the only one with that color combo from Nankivell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Rob....did you get the add I e-mailed you? If so, could you post it?

Thanks, Chris

Chevy454
08-21-2003, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rob....did you get the add I e-mailed you? If so, could you post it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's nice to know you're needed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.yenko.net/attachments/48918-NANK.jpg

Supercar_Kid
08-21-2003, 09:59 PM
Ok, OK... I misread your post... and yes, i thought you were saying yours was the only rally green/white yenko camaro. The only one sold at Nankivell makes more sense to me... say.. very cool ad...I know someone who wouldn't mind having that piece for his collection! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

HoosierDaddy
08-21-2003, 10:17 PM
Rob,
Thank you very much!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif You...needed??? nah /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks again, Chris

HoosierDaddy
08-21-2003, 10:28 PM
Supecar Kid,
I WISH mine was the only rallye green Yenko. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif How many were rallye green? Are the numbers broken down on how many were black on green and white on green I'm sure someone here knows the answer.
Thanks, Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

HoosierDaddy
08-21-2003, 10:38 PM
In the Nankivell add, it states that they have "60 Camaros in stock". Is it just me or does that sound like a $#it load of Camaros?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks, Chris

JoeC
08-21-2003, 11:12 PM
Not unlike today, the car dealers of 69 liked to toss the bull around. The "replica Daytona Citrus 250 winner" is not even close. The Citrus 250 winner was a 302 ex-Smokey Yunick race car with big headlight covers for better aero. Don and crew did a great job pulling off that win agaist some big dogs like Indy car drivers Parnelli Jones and Lloyd Ruby. PJ was 1 sec a lap faster in his Bud Moore Mustang but blew it up and Ruby was faster in another ex-Smokey Yunick race car with a $4500 Traco 302. Don had a close to stock 302 built in house by Bill Hartly. The race report has a quote from Vinnce Piggens, who after Don won, bragged how the Camaro was competitive without direct factory support.