PDA

View Full Version : B-M 69 ZL1 ???

JChlupsa
08-21-2003, 10:31 PM
Is this car still out there someplace??

whitetop
08-21-2003, 10:51 PM
It was stolen when original owner Joe Oldham owned it. Never recovered. FYI his son Scott also was a magazine writer and worked for PHR, Super chevy etc at one time.

JoeC
08-21-2003, 11:22 PM
The picture does look like Oldham's car with Keystone wheels and power windows and other options. I recall he did not order a Phase III car because he planed to drive it everyday. I have an article where Joel had a ZL1 engine in his 68 race car for testing but went back to the iron block.

Born30YrsLate
08-21-2003, 11:37 PM
I have a couple articles on Oldham's BM Camaro...from what I get from the articles he ordered the car as just a 427/425 transplant and they transplanted in the ZL1 for the article(?). He also wanted 4-wheel disc brakes(didn't get it) and no hockey stripes.
From what I know (however accurate I may be) there were 2 '69 Baldwin Motion Camaros that were equipped with the ZL1 motor transplant (anybody - correct me if I'm wrong).....One of which is known (a friend of mine has it) and the other may be known. Any who....in my opinion that would be the ULTIMATE car to have...a double wammy of performance.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

JChlupsa
08-21-2003, 11:52 PM
and the owner friend is ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif

Any pics of this car by chance? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

JoeG
08-22-2003, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and the owner friend is ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif

Any pics of this car by chance? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said-------- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Charles
08-22-2003, 01:55 AM
That was sort of a strange car. Triple black including the vinyl top and an eudura front bumper but NO rear spoiler. They must have weighed that car with no gas in it, because it was said to be 3101 pounds. The car even had a console for the automatic. The Keystone Kustom wheels were a nice touch but those Inglewood tires would not survive ZL1 power.
A more significant car would be the prototype L88 Camaro Motion built for Baldwin Chevrolet early in 1967 to see if it was possible to stuff a monster motor in the little 327 Camaro. That car was also black and still had all the production line stickers-Chevrolet number 1 Norwood, dealer sticker etc. when tested. They modified the steering box to fit the motor in. It melted Goodyear blue streak tires and at the track on slicks it went 10.90 with cast iron exhaust manifolds. Nothing broke and nothing beat it in the 500 miles it accumulated in street testing... mission accomplished!
Hope this is not too far from the Oldham car comments.

JChlupsa
08-22-2003, 02:00 AM
Charles, can you just plug your brain into the USB port so I can download all you know about cars in general. Mahalo for the info, as anything new I can learn is one step ahead of where i was yesterday.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

Born30YrsLate
08-22-2003, 02:17 AM
I've been trying to talk him into coming to the reunion. I would offer him my girlfriends ticket, but she might not like that too much since this is "quality time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif" together....he doesn't want to attend unless he brings the car (which is complete and driveable, but needs interior work and paint), however he doesn't want the publicity that would come with the car.....I told him no problem - I'll take the car and he can act like an interested on looker - but no deal. I don't have any pics of the car right now, next time I go out to his place, which probably won't be for at least a month, I'll see if I can get some shots of the car....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

JoeG
08-22-2003, 02:35 AM
Born30YrsLate,
Pictures would be great if you can get them,--even the story how he got the car would be interesting---Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif--JoeG------Quality time---Hmmmmm!--Sounds familiar.-------OH YEAH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Born30YrsLate
08-24-2003, 05:34 PM
Next time I talk with him I'll get the story...he told it to me once, but I was too preoccupied by looking at the car that I was hearing what he was saying, but not listening to the words coming out of his mouth - funny thing is that my girlfriend tells me the same thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif....HA....I'll keep you guys posted....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

JoeC
08-26-2003, 02:43 PM
I found another article on this car and the story is close to this article posted here except it says the test engine first installed then removed was a ZLX engine which they describe as a cast iron copy of a ZL1 engine. I think Joe O got his ZLX and ZL1 engines mixed up when he wrote that.