PDA

View Full Version : Yenko Chevelle

TechNova
09-02-2003, 05:22 PM
I had talked with a guy this weekend about the Yenko Chevelle he used to own that was cut up into a stock car. I've known the guy for years, some of you may know who it is. He said he had a guy from Iowa call and talk to him about the car and he enjoyed it because the guy just wanted info and offered to help him research a Pontiac because he enjoys it. A real good car guy.
However another guy called (unrelated incident) and wanted signatures on documents stating that the VIN plates he had were he originals to the car. Trouble was, the original Yenko VIN was cut in half to run the roll bar tubes in the early 70's. The guy I know declined to sign anything.
This was followed by another guy owning the old stock car trying to get him to sign. He declined again. The old stock car had been re-bodied and was really only the frame from the original car!
The point is, there are some great guys out there but also
some that are not so great.
How would you feel if you had bought a restored car that had this history? Beware.
For those that know who the Yenko owner is, mark that car down as gone for good.

Belair62
09-02-2003, 06:20 PM
Anyone know what VIN this car was ?

Mr70
09-02-2003, 06:25 PM
Was this Chevelle sold new in Illinois?

TechNova
09-02-2003, 07:52 PM
The guy bought it used, 1 year old in either Madison or Janesville, WI. Close to Ill. so maybe. I knew more about it 20 years ago but have forgotten.
The guy said "the car is dead and gone" so I didn't ask alot of details. Nice guy, so I don't bug him too much.
I may ask some more when I run across him again.

sYc
09-02-2003, 07:57 PM
When we were in Wis. picking up the Yenko Vega, Mo and I stopped by and looked at this car. We even went as far as to check the numbers under the heater box. Surprisingly, I do not think anyone had thought to do this, as Mo had to scrap to read them. A rebody for sure. And, by looking at other parts on the car, and by what the owner told me, I honestly do not think there is an original part from a Yenko on the car. Period. I will say this though, I did look at his scrap book and do believe that at one time there was a Yenko Chevelle which was wrecked and then turned into a stock car. Just too many Saturday nights beating and banging.

Clint_69
09-03-2003, 01:04 AM
I guess I am the real good car guy from Iowa. I had a great conversation with Dave R about his Yenko and offered to help him about the research of his Pontiac Yellow Bird. He told me about the current owner and another person from , I believe MN, wanting him to sign documents. I also cautioned him about that. He told me some great stories about the car in it's glory days and how it met it's demise. As Tom mentioned, the car in question is dead and buried and the only thing original on that Chevelle would be, at most, the frame. I have known about the car for quite some time and Dave is a very nice guy to talk to. As Tom said, the VIN on the firewall is not even close. Even if someone has signed documentation, it would not do any good as there is no evidence of the car even being a Yenko and could never be proved as such. I do not believe that anyone even knows which car it was because there are no #s.

JoeC
09-03-2003, 01:32 AM
should be a vin on the frame also

Schonyenko2
09-03-2003, 02:45 AM
I have seen this chevelle,and talked with both Tom and Clint about it. And the're right, its dead. To try to resurrect this car is not impossible, but the amount of Yenko heritage is questionable, and at best minimal. It would kinda be like having one piece of a Yenko,(maybe) and building a car around it,without a trim tag, or VIN.
If there was anyway that this car could be brought back with any real credibility, it would now be in process. Unfortunatly its dead. Dammit! Schonye /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

chevelleman
09-04-2003, 03:36 AM
Joe where would the vin be located on the frame??

JoeC
09-04-2003, 04:15 AM
dr side on top of frame rail near rear body mount. Hard to see with body on. They have also been found in other places on the frame but that is most common place I know of.

Chevy454
09-04-2003, 12:50 PM
But, they aren't always on the frame.