PDA

View Full Version : So what do you think the reserve was on this L-88

Alwyn678
09-24-2003, 03:30 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2433171986

One Sweet car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Rowdy Rat
09-24-2003, 03:44 PM
I believe that Matt stated on the CorvetteForum that the reserve was just shy of $184,000.

Regards,

Stan Falenski

MosportGreen66
09-24-2003, 06:36 PM
how do you put a price on a car that has 2300 miles - and the biggest - rarest corvette engine? with docs, in a one-year-only color?

camarojoe
09-24-2003, 07:01 PM
I don't know...with white shoe polish on the windshield maybe? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hvychev
09-24-2003, 07:35 PM
Joe.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I personally think that the car would have looked better with a set of those GT Qualifier Tires.

Chevy454
09-24-2003, 07:49 PM
Ummm...wouldn't the "biggest and rarest" Corvette engine have been the ZL-1?

55chevy
09-25-2003, 02:58 AM
Personally I think that ugly corvette would look best hidden inside my garage so that the public won't have to lay eyes on it in disgust.. But if Mo wants some kind if payment to hide this thing away from little children and pregnant mothers.. I've got a 99 Grand Cherokee... Hey, that's an even trade... right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MotownMadman
09-25-2003, 03:20 AM
Rob, Details, details, details, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Was thye ZL-1 option on the Covettes a regular RPO option that a customer chould read over and check the boz as easily lets say as a AM/FM radio? Or did it take a dealer who knew the correct side door to use at GM, and the correct window of opportunity in which to open it? If it was an RPO anyone could order for what reason can we surmise only two were built? Would the ZL-1 Vette be classified as a regular production car, or more along the lines of the first two ZL-1 Camaro's that supposedly passed to that great muscle car parking lot in the sky? Is it possible those two Corvettes were both prototype builds in which the project was cancelled?
Thanks,
Motown
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

COPO PETE
09-25-2003, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Rob, Details, details, details, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Was thye ZL-1 option on the Covettes a regular RPO option that a customer chould read over and check the boz as easily lets say as a AM/FM radio? Or did it take a dealer who knew the correct side door to use at GM, and the correct window of opportunity in which to open it? If it was an RPO anyone could order for what reason can we surmise only two were built? Would the ZL-1 Vette be classified as a regular production car.
Thanks,
Motown
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd be really interested in reply's of this question!
Peter

Chevy454
09-25-2003, 12:37 PM
It was my understanding that the ZL-1 in the Corvette was an RPO, as was the L-72...to get either of those engines in a Camaro, however required the Central Office's blessing. Whether this is right, I honestly don't know, but it sounds good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

JoeC
09-25-2003, 12:43 PM
The ZL1 Covette was RPO. Although it was not advertised, the sales were limited mostly by price. Chevy was officially not into racing but they produced the raw material to qualify for racing. They made the cars to meet the rules of the racing organization. There was no minimum production number required for the complete ZL1 Corvette to compete in road racing but the engine had to be an option that was available. Many racers just bought the engine and upgraded their 68 or built a 69 Corvette race car and ran L88s and ZL1s at Daytona, Sebring, LeMans. etc. In 1970 Chevy built 25 ZR1 Corvettes LT1 M22 with other upgrades for racing. In 1971 there were 8 ZL1 and 8 ZL2 Corvettes built. (I think these numbers are right by memory)
For TransAm racing, there was a 1000 car minimum (Chevy got an exemption in 67) but then special parts were allowed if they had GM part numbers and were available over the counter. This is why Camaro had cross ram, JL8, cowl hood, spoilers, etc. available some as service items some RPO.
Drag racing had different set of rules to meet. In 1963 the Z-11 drag car was RPO and met NHRA 50 car minimum. In 68 the L78 TH400 Nova used COPO process to make 50 car NHRA min. In 69 COPO process was used again for drag cars to meet a 50 car minimum. In 1970 Chevy did last ditch effort to make a mass produced hi hp big block and went back to RPO to produce a 450hp Chevelle not available in Camaro Corvette or Nova.
NASCAR had their own set of crazy rules that they changed often. Some rules required 500 engines had to be built but could be used in other models then they were sold with. NASCAR rules created the wild aero cars. Even in 1986 and 87 Chevy had the SS Monte Aero Coupes special built at great cost in order to get a 5 mph top speed increase at Daytona and Talladaga.
Ok I'm rambling but point is, Chevy did whatever was required to get cars on the race track and into winners circle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Charles
09-25-2003, 01:24 PM
WHITE WHITE YELLOW RED & GOLD? The first white ZL-1 started life as a 1968 Corvette roadster. It was a sort of prototype for the option, built by Chevrolet engineering. The second car was the white 1969 coupe with a serial number under 7000. It was customer ordered to be raced. The yellow coupe followed much later with a serial number over 29000. This car was ordered by a GM engineer at the engine plant. The red coupe is more of a question since it started out as just a 427. Chevy did not have 1970 cars to show the journalists for the July 1969 long lead press preview. To keep them happy they brought out some performance cars for testing. One of the cars was the red ZL-1 coupe with a M40 transmission. A dragstrip was created at "Black Lake" but the red coupe saw limited use because someone took out the top end timing lights early in the day! This car had 180 degree headers, mag wheels and slicks. The car was locked in drive so that the expensive engine would not go over the rev limit. None of the journalists bothered to ask what engine was in the red Corvette. The Gold ZL-1 roadster has been mentioned elsewhere. It is said to have paperwork and looked real according to an author who was researching a book. It remains a question mark.

JoeC
09-25-2003, 02:04 PM
The ZL1 Corvette drag car was Monaco Orange although it looks red in some of the pictures. Ran in the 10s.

Mr70
09-25-2003, 02:10 PM
JoeC
Would that color have been called Hugger Orange when used on the Corvette?
I know it was Monaco Orange when used on the Chevelle.

JoeC
09-25-2003, 02:13 PM
Monaco on Corvette also
Where's Stan? I am sure he knows a lot more then me on these Corvettes.

Charles
09-25-2003, 02:57 PM
JoeC Makes a good point about the Monaco Orange color. That is how the ZL-1 appears in 1969 pictures provided by Gib H. who was an engineer that worked on the Corvette project, along with many others during his long career at GM. There was a magazine article written about him; anyone remember which issue that was in? Thanks.

737Driver
09-25-2003, 04:14 PM
JoeC and Charles share some accurate and very interesting points on the ZL1 Corvettes. On the topic of color, Monaco Orange was available on the 1969 Corvette and was coded 990. In July of 2001 I had a Corvette featured in the Bloomington Glod Special Collection. There, I met Mr. Bob Clift (Chevy PR in 1969) and had the honor of a one on one conversation which included that day of thrashing the orange ZL1 for the 1969 press preview. Interesting for a number of reasons, a couple of which were the bumpers were chrome plated fiberglass and the windows were plexiglass. Everything was done to minimize weight. As he was quoted in a later book, 'it took off like a striped ass ape'. Bob was one of Zora's favorite people and accompanied him on many clandestine outings. One such outing had him driving one of the Grand Sports through downtown Miami early in the morning to the loading docks to be shipped to Nassau. I have a pic of Mr. Clift and I together but have no idea how to post it. I was grateful to have the chance to meet him.

Regards,

Mark Donnally

JoeC
09-25-2003, 05:48 PM
Mark, if you email the picture to me I can post it.
I believe the ZL1 drag car was used at the 69 press preview and the 1970 press preview but not 100% sure on the 69. I am sure on 70. Been looking for info and only found 2 articles on it.

Charles
09-25-2003, 05:54 PM
While I didn't mention the point earlier; it seems the ZL-1 had a number of unseen modifications. The second test day for the ZL-1 saw a number of engineers and select journalists get a chance to drive the ZL-1 Corvette. At first they just drove off the line, later someone got the bright idea to just rev up the engine in neutral and then slam it into drive for a HARDER launch! This resulted in those 10 second et's and no mention of broken parts... Perhaps the transmission also got some special attention to withstand the abuse. Anyone who got the chance to drive could duplicate those times. Some Corvettes were sold by Chevrolet Engineering; there was a Warbonnet Yellow 1971 coupe for example. However this ZL-1 was probably crushed. It has been suggested that the same fate awaits the current 427 Camaro "Sunoco Blue" showcar that was at Berger Chevrolet.

JChlupsa
09-25-2003, 06:16 PM
Kevin, your just sitting back soaking in all the sunshine huh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Since you have a 69 ZL1 Vette how bout some info on what you know about the cars

737Driver
09-25-2003, 06:36 PM
Joe

You are correct about this particular Corvette being used in 1970 also. Based on what I have read (as always, I defer to Stan and his knowledge) although it was ZL1 equipped in 69, it returned with a LT2 power plant in 70. The LT2 being an all aluminum 454 which we all know didn't make the final RPO cut. Also, thank you for posting the PIC.

Regards,

Mark

JoeC
09-25-2003, 08:12 PM
here is Mark's picture of Bob Clift (Chevy PR in 1969)
There was a great article on the ZL1 factory drag car in a 69 magazine MT or RT. Article was called "The 10 sec trip". As you guys said it was extensivly modified. I wonder if they used the Can Am block instead of the ZL1 block. You can see in the picture that the intake manifold had a large flange welded on for a huge Holley carb that was a prototype at that time.
Since it was shown at a press preview, I would think there would be more articles/pictures on that press preview day but I have only found a few articles. Also shown at the 1970 Press preview held in summer '69 was the '70 Yenko Duece Nova prototype which they called a LT1 Nova and the "street" version of the ZL1 Camaro (in '69 body).

737Driver
09-25-2003, 08:29 PM
In case you are wondering, Clift is the skinny guy with hair.

Regards,

Mark