PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to store a car ,gas,,no gas??

DSYenko
09-28-2003, 02:35 PM
Im getting a car ready for storage I just purchased and am wondering if the tank should be full or empty.The car "might" be in storage for months or years.I currently have the tank empty trying to decide.I have access to 100 octane low lead av gas or Cam 2 would either one of these be a higher grade than the local gas station and "keep" better. The gas I just took out of the tank was red and had been in it for 10 years.Will the av gas or the cam 2 due anything to the fuel pump or rubber lines over time?
So full or empty and if full ,full of what? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
Thanks guys

Chevy454
09-28-2003, 02:39 PM
Add some Sta-Bil and you should be fine. I'd fill it up with premium, dump in the required amount of Sta-Bil, and forget about it. Right Moparts? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Where's a parts man when you need one...

SMGCO
09-28-2003, 03:01 PM
I would put just the minimum amount of gas in it ( so you have some to start it with ) and add some stabilizer. Why have a tank full of old gas waiting for you ?

budnate
09-28-2003, 03:54 PM
My 2 cents, I would fill it up with good gas like Rob says if there is any temp change where it will be stored, if it will be in a climate controlled area, put in 5 gallons and the additive,

But I would use a product that is called "Sea-Foam" it is Fuel additive made by OMC the boat people, it is a stabilizer and also has some kind of cleaner in it as well to help out the carbs from gumming up, I used it this last year on one of my boats that does not get much go time, plus one other motor that had been sitting, the stuff flat out works!! and it actually does what they say it will, my motors run very well and I almost can say I think they run better than they ever have, they were running rough and had idle issue before a few gallon's were run through them, I have no association with the product, I just found it to perform well, no more Stabile for me.

BTW the boat had Stabile in it and was run at least every 6 months even if it was just for 10 minutes to circulate stuff around.

Bud.

Jeff Murphy
09-28-2003, 10:30 PM
I learned from the Union 76 distributor here that I buy my gas (petrol) from that most service station gas will start to degrade in as little as 1-2 months. He told me that the super purified, 110 octane leaded he sells me ought to be good for more like six months without any problem due to the additives they blend in during the refining process. They also suggest that you keep the car filled to the top prior to storage.

JoeG
09-28-2003, 11:32 PM
The filling of the tank will stop any condensation build up in the tank,but a stabilizer will not hurt for good measure--JoeG

mmcporter
09-29-2003, 12:56 AM
Like others have said, I'd fill the car to the top with premium (I use Sunoco Ultra) plus octane booster if that's how you use the car. Then I'd top it off with stabill or some other fuel preservative. I do that every winter and it works out fine.

camarojoe
09-29-2003, 02:05 AM
My dad has a 69 Z/28 that sat in the corner of the garage for FIVE years without ever being started or driven. I SWORE that he would have to drain the lines, redo the carb, etc. to ever get it going... What does he do? Throws a new battery in it, cranks it over about 4 revolutions, and vrrooom! it fired right up, and he drove it into town to get a fresh tank of gas... Said it ran fine on the trip to town too... so go figure! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Schonyenko2
09-29-2003, 02:17 AM
I agree with Bud on the sea foam. That stuff flat out works. Not just for storage, but for anything it says on the can. I use it and the stabil for storage. A little splash down the carb when you first fire it in the spring does'nt hurt either. Schonye

JoeG
09-29-2003, 02:20 AM
camarojoe,
It's funny how things like that happen,----by the way has your dad made it back from town yet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

moparts
09-29-2003, 01:58 PM
Sta-bil and Sea-foam are both really good products....full tank helps stop the condensation....I would not put in any octane boost...it has a tendency to seperate after sitting....hope we are talking months and not years on the storage....if it is years and not going to be started and driven and I already had it dry I would probally leave it that way.

mmcporter
09-29-2003, 02:53 PM
I just did a search on Sea Foam's website. NAPA parts stores carry the stuff, and my NAPA guy highly recommends it.

skierkaj
09-29-2003, 03:43 PM
I would recommend no gas at all. A guy that i know stored his tank full, and during the winter, the temperature changes caused the gas to bubble out of the tank, out the filler neck, and ruined the paint job all down the side of his 50's pickup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif It really looked aweful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
Just my $.02.

moparts
09-29-2003, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just did a search on Sea Foam's website. NAPA parts stores carry the stuff, and my NAPA guy highly recommends it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey hey hey....watch them 4 letter words (NAPA) the children may be watching. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

budnate
09-29-2003, 08:13 PM
I was told that OMC did a huge amount work to get the stuff just right and is a factory authorized product,

I ran a motor that had been sitting outside for 5yrs this summer, thank goodness the guy had the forethought to run the carbs dry, anyway I hosed the cyl's down with WD-40 and carefully worked the motor around and then plugged in some fresh gas with the Sea-Foam in it and within about five minutes of running this motor was idling perfect and
rev-ing cleanly, I am just amazed at how well the stuff cleans and works.

Bud.

DSYenko
09-30-2003, 02:13 AM
Thanks guys for all the comments.The car will be stored in heated storage this winter and a dehumidifier in the warm months.It's a 1 owner 76 TA 455 4spd with 56K on the clock. Im just not sure if I will drive it next summer or not so that is how we arrived at this question.
Thanks again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif