PDA

View Full Version : Paging Rob Clary

fpcopo
10-07-2003, 03:47 AM
Hey Rob,

I remember you and Pete talking about the difference between the GM L72 cam and the Crane one. Did I remember right that you said there is a big difference in performance between these cams? I thought they were ground to the same specs. I tried to order an L72 cam and all you can get from GM now is the Crane kit that GM says is made for them. Is this a mistake? Should I try to buy a cam from a dealer who has an old 143 GM unit? Thanks, Frank Payne /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Chevy454
10-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Hey Frank! It's funny you should bring up the Crane vs. GM thing, as we've been discussing that very thing in regards to the LT-1 units. When you get some time, read through THIS THREAD (http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=racing&Number=24989&page=0 &view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1) to get everyones thoughts on the subject.

My opinion, and I think Pete feels this way as well, is that the Crane unit and the GM unit are identical, in every way, shape, and form as the original units were, and are a VERY good performance cam. There's been a couple guys on the board put the Crane 143 and a GM 143 on cam doctors and they come out the same. I recommend the Crane unit as does Pete.

Order the the Crane unit from your dealer and you'll be more than happy. One small tip, though: MAKE SURE your engine builder breaks in the cam on the outer valve springs ONLY. If you don't think that's important, just ask JLerum!

Jeff H
10-07-2003, 11:35 PM
I know that the GMPP cam for the SS454 trucks is the Crane 2020 cam. It appears that GM is using Crane to supply most of its cams.