PDA

View Full Version : Question on Dana Camaros

cook_dw
10-13-2003, 03:28 PM
My dad and I have found what we think may possible be a Dana Camaro. The car is a 68 and it seems to have had original orange paint (granted in 68 there was not a paint code for orange, but Dana Chevrolet apparently ordered the orange and called it chevy truck orange (which is basically hugger orange) according to some of the few things I could find on these cars). Now the question is; does anyone know anything about these cars. I am very fimilar with big blocks, z's and even Yenko's, Baldwin Motion but I can not find any literature on the Dana cars. I do know that all the cars (as far as I know) were California cars because of the dealership being located there. Any comments would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

JoeC
10-13-2003, 03:40 PM
can you post the trim tag info? Does it have a dash (-) instead of a paint code?

cook_dw
10-13-2003, 03:44 PM
The problem is that I do not have the tag info yet. I was just wondering if there were some signs that I could look for if any.

SuperCars
10-13-2003, 04:04 PM
It certainly should be a california built car with "L" in the VIN#. If it has the -- dash paint delete on the trim tag, would be helpful, but far form conclusive, as any dealer could order that. What hood, features, etc, does it have? If you email detailed pics to [email protected] I could compare features to my car. The definitive way would be to be able to trace back to original owner, who would hopefully have something to verify it. Lastly if it checks out and is something you are looking at to re-sell, I'd like to throw my name in the hat first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cook_dw
10-13-2003, 04:18 PM
I have not seen the car in person, just heard about it from the current owner (now deceased) and after two years of his passing his wife has decided to sell. We will be going to look at the car this weekend if not sooner. Thanks for all the info. "SuperCars" I will definitely take some pics (if I thing it is the real deal) so we can compare info. Thanks again

cook_dw
10-13-2003, 09:59 PM
I do have one more question. Since the Dana cars in 68 had the fiberglass hood (making an assumption) would the car have a hood prop. Also wouldnt the bolt holes in the rad. support for the prop be some kind of sign that I would be heading in the right direction as far as identifying the car as a Dana.

NCGuy68
10-14-2003, 02:01 AM
As a side note...

Might Ed Cunneen have any info/numbers on the Dana Cars?

They seem to be elusive and hard to pin-point at best.

My guess is that the 'Glass' hood had a prop rod and no hood springs, but thats only a guess. Perhaps some Dana guys can shed light on this.

Good luck in your search Darrell.

cook_dw
10-14-2003, 02:50 AM
My dad just called me and said that he talked to a guy and he was basically on the money as far as the info you guys have given me and he also said the guy found a magazine that stated there were 35 1968 Dana cars. I am just wondering if anyone else has heard this. If so, then this would be one of the rarest Camaros that I would know of. Sorry for all the questions but I am getting so anxious on seeing this car I can hardly stand it, but at the same time I am trying not to get my hopes up. Also, I know a lot of the Yenko, Motion, Nickey and Berger cars did not have factory tach & gauges. Would this be something else to look for as far as the aftermarket tach that was usely mounted on the dash around the ignition switch. Once again, I know that this does not make it a Dana but I am just trying to think of things to look for as tell tell signs of something.. And yes I know that there were some cars that had factory tach and gauges well at least one Dana that I have seen. Once again thanks for all the info that I am getting even if this car is not a Dana I have learned a lot about these fantastic cars. Lastly for tonight anyways, I thought I would share some pics of my dad and I's cars. Now I know that they are not Super Cars but the are still Camaros none the less. Enjoy

http://community.webshots.com/user/cook_dw

Seattle Sam
10-14-2003, 05:38 AM
You and your Pop have Nice Camaros Darrell! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif
-Sam

MYSTERYCHEVELLE
10-15-2003, 07:56 PM
Didn't most dana Cars have a special suspension set up?? traction bars that were a bit different? Just throwing things out there...my friend has a 66 SS 427 Dana Chevelle out in Calif. that I helped document and it had some very particular items on it.. check out this pic!

55chevy
10-15-2003, 08:15 PM
got any more pics of that Dana Chevelle?? Never heard of one. Let's see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Unreal
10-15-2003, 08:41 PM
Was that signature a Dana Chevelle, only item, or did Dana Camaros have it too? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cook_dw
10-15-2003, 08:49 PM
You are right about the special suspension, but I think it was mostly bolt-ons (correct me if I am wrong, please I am still learning this Dana stuff). On this car I am sure most of the car has been torn apart but not a 100% sure since I will not be able to see the car until the weekend. I did not know that Dana did a Chevelle either I too would be interested in more pics and whos name is that, it is hard for me to read the name..

cook_dw
10-15-2003, 08:52 PM
Once again, I want to thank everyone so far that has given me info on these cars. I really appreciate it.. Thanks
I just hope it ends up being the real deal but I am not getting my hopes up for a let down.

MYSTERYCHEVELLE
10-15-2003, 09:19 PM
WILL POST MORE TONITE AND GIVE SPECIFICS.

Mike

55chevy
10-15-2003, 09:29 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif

JoeG
10-15-2003, 10:17 PM
Try this----------- web page (http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=42255&F...)

jaze70ss
10-15-2003, 10:18 PM
I think the signature of Guldstrand is a recent addition. I for one would love to see the chevelle that its on....Cmon J.Y. please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The info i got from the guldstrand camp is that 7 or black 67 chevelles were converted. Maybe that is his stock answer when someone asks that question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
jay b.

55chevy
10-16-2003, 12:55 AM
I believe I've got an article on a Black 67 Nickey Chevelle. If I remember correctly.. Been awhile since I looked at it though. That and I've done a little bit of this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif since then too... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

55chevy
10-16-2003, 01:00 AM
When you go to look at the car make sure you take ALOT of detailed pics of it to study later on. You'll be amazed how much can be forgotten by the next day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif

Pantera
10-16-2003, 01:12 AM
".my friend has a 66 SS 427 Dana
Chevelle out in Calif. that I helped document and it had some very particular items
on it.. "

not sure just what is different on the 66 chevelle except the dark color. I had one with most of the same options and it looked like the car in the pic's you posted? At my age my eyes are not as good as they used to be.

MYSTERYCHEVELLE
10-16-2003, 03:54 AM
Not my Danube Blue 66, it's Aztec bronze and I have tried all evening to load pics but it won't work?? Limit reached and I have edited them down in file size Big Time...so, sorry guys.

Mike

55chevy
10-16-2003, 04:34 AM
send them to me and I'll do it. [email protected]

cook_dw
10-16-2003, 02:48 PM
Well I just got off the phone with my dad and he said he called and talked to the son of the deceased owner. He gave us a little hope. "The car was originally that ugly orange color", said the son and it was an original big block 4-speed car but the son was unsure about the tag. He did say that his dad always thought it was a Dana but was unable to follow it up because of his death. We had not even mentioned anything about a Dana and the son brought it up. The car also had disc brakes as well. Now I know that this does not conclude that it is a Dana but I am gaining a little confidence going into this weekend when we go and look at it. Whatever reason, the deceased owner put a 454 and auto tranny in the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif but the hole is there for the 4-speed. He also said that the car has all GM sheetmetal so I will definitely be looking for anything I can. Lastly, dont worry I will be taking several pics of the car. Even if the car does not turn out to be a Dana; it will still be a great purchase for the asking price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jeff H
10-16-2003, 04:15 PM
If the car is a solid car at a good price, then don't delay too long on it. Someone over at the Team Camaro site was looking at a 69 RS/Z28 that was missing it's original engine so there was no proof for sure but the price was good and she waited too long to do something and someone else bought it. Camaros at a good price are moving fast. If you get it and it turns out to be a Dana car, then that's icing on the cake.

Denis
10-16-2003, 05:08 PM
Dana Camaros have a very unique fiberglass hood that was never reproduced, to my knowledge. A picture of one can be seen here:

68 Dana Camaro (http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/Supercars/68Dana)

cook_dw
10-16-2003, 07:08 PM
Anyone know if a L-88 hood could have came on a 68 Dana? I have heard that an original L-88 hood would have wood in between the layers of "glass" were the bolts go for the hood hinges. Is this true?

GMH454
10-16-2003, 10:54 PM
I saw Peyton Cramer (Guldstrand Bondurant etc) give a talk on the Corvette racing of the 60's back at a NCRS Nationals in 1991. Bondurant & Cramer also talked a lot about the Cobras winning the World sports car championship. Cramer mentioned how they set up Dana and how Bondurant went racing Lolas in Can Am (where he had a BIG incident ) Can you confirm when Dana opened and closed.
Also how many styles of licence plate frame were used.

MYSTERYCHEVELLE
10-17-2003, 12:03 AM
TRY THIS

MYSTERYCHEVELLE
10-17-2003, 12:05 AM
AND THIS

MYSTERYCHEVELLE
10-17-2003, 12:08 AM
AND THIS ONE

MYSTERYCHEVELLE
10-17-2003, 12:09 AM
THE PLATE

MYSTERYCHEVELLE
10-17-2003, 12:10 AM
THE EMBLEM

hvychev
10-17-2003, 12:13 AM
WOW! Mystery Chevelle could you tell us about the car? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

olredalert
10-17-2003, 12:24 AM
Hey Mystery,

-------A California friend of mine also sent me pics of this car quite awhile back.I wonder if Jim Gessner is your friend as well.I have to admit that I didnt realize the significance of the car at that point.Feeling a step behind as usual..........Bill S

JoeG
10-17-2003, 01:16 AM
MYSTERYCHEVELLE,
Your killin me--2 gorgeous SS396 chevelles and one's a Dana---I had a '66 SS396/360 Chevelle- Lemonwood Yellow--Classic Chevrolet styling------Like to hear more about the Dana if possible.--JoeG

Vettefinderjim
10-17-2003, 03:36 AM
Post deleted by Vettefinderjim

JoeC
10-17-2003, 03:46 AM
What year did Dick G. leave Dana? I read a bio on Dick G. that said he started his own Corvette shop in 1968.

Vettefinderjim
10-17-2003, 04:44 AM
Dick went from DANA to AIR ( American international Racing) with the actor Jim Garner, and Bob Bondurant. They formed AIR and went racing 68 L-88 Corvettes and later a Lola T-70, that almost killed Bondurant. That was 1968.They needed a place to build the cars, so Dick started Guldstrand Enginering on Jefferson Blvd. in Culver City, Ca. They called that street "Thunder Alley". Isky, Edlebrock, Headman Headers,TRACO,and others were all neighbors. Every afternoon, it was 'test' time.......hence THUNDER ALLEY.

Dick sold the property in 1999, and now at 77 years old he has a new shop in Burbank closer to his home. check www.Corvettethunder.com (http://www.Corvettethunder.com) for his story.

olredalert
10-17-2003, 02:46 PM
Hi Jimmy,,,,,Wondered if you would be lurking out there somewhere.Will call you soon........Bill S

whitetop
10-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Mystery Chevelle
Those traction bars in the photo are Lakewoods and that style did not come out until 1974-1975ish. Somebody added them later obviously. Before 1970 Lakewood never really had a true traction bar for the A-bodies. The first traction device for A-bodies from Lakewood came out in '70 with the triangular shaped ladder bars we are all familiar with. The only item for the A-bodies before 1970 was a beefed up trailing arm.

I am under the impression from your other post the bars on the Chevelle in question were documented by you to be original for '66 and supplied by Dana. I figured that's why you posted the pic of them. You can correct me if I'm wrong of my impression.
Dave

MosportGreen66
10-17-2003, 08:11 PM
There was a 1967 Chevelle SS427 in Popular Hot Rodding issues back. It was a black on white convertable. It did not say anything about the specific dealer but he claimed to have documents proving the 427. It was alte production L-72 with 425HP.

VettefinderJim,
I sent you a PM.

-Dan

MYSTERYCHEVELLE
10-17-2003, 09:02 PM
Okay, consider yourself Corrected /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yep, that's why I posted the photo, but the documented by part, is from DANA, not me. No harm no foul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

JoeC
10-18-2003, 01:07 AM
Dave, Didn't Traction Master make traction bars for early Chevelles and many other cars mid to late sixties? I have a set of NOS Traction Master bars that are the early weld on type for Chevelle. Dana, Shelby, Motion, and Yenko listed Traction Masters in their ads in 67. Better designs became available made by Lakewood, ET, NMW, and others in the late 60s.

Belair62
10-18-2003, 02:01 AM
I have a set of those too Joe....mount to lower control arm to a weld on tab...

MYSTERYCHEVELLE
10-18-2003, 02:31 AM
The Dana 66 SS 427 Chevelle will be at the GUARANTY CHEVROLET All Chevy Show tomorrow, Saturday., in Santa Ana, Calif. Anybody wishing to see it, inspect it and disect it...come on down and snoop around...should be many fine cars there.

The traction bars seen on this car are Custom/Dana Built FWIW.

Last photo...it's a keeper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif

whitetop
10-18-2003, 10:03 AM
JoeC

[ QUOTE ]
Before 1970 Lakewood never really had a true traction bar for the A-bodies. The first traction device for A-bodies from Lakewood came out in '70 with the triangular shaped ladder bars we are all familiar with. The only item for the A-bodies before 1970 FROM LAKEWOOD was a beefed up trailing arm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was only refering to the traction bars products made by Lakewood. I corrected my previous reply above. I know traction bars were made by other companies for a-bodies before 1970. I was trying to make the point that the bars in the photo are Lakewoods and they were not made until 1974.

whitetop
10-18-2003, 10:21 AM
Mystery Chevelle

See attachment. Those traction bars are not custom built/Dana. They are part number 20187 from Lakewood and were first manufactured in 1974. I have the 1973 lakewood catalog and they are not in there and the 1974 catalog list them under their "new products for 1974" I also have a used set in my basement and they are 100% identical to the ones on the car in the photo. Every little dip/recess is the same.

The only way Dana could have put them on the car in 1966 was with a time machine set for 1974. Have you considered the Chevelle in question may have had traction bar from another manufacturer originally and then later replaced with these models by another owner later?

If you look at your pic you can even see the renaments of Lakewood yellow paint inside the bar.
Dave

whitetop
10-18-2003, 10:32 AM
Here is a pic from the '74 Lakewood catalog. Notice the mounting bracket and look at yours-they are 100% identical.
Why would Lakewood copy the Dana design down to the most grittiest detail and why would Dana make the bars so perfectly machined/welded(expense $$) unless they were going to mass produce them on a grand scale which we know they never did?

p.s. check out ebay # 2437270171 & 2437503631

Belair62
10-19-2003, 02:16 AM
ole Whitetop knows his stuff when it comes to aftermarket !

JoeG
10-19-2003, 04:57 PM
Good eyes whitetop, but if there is such a "Time Machine" ,Could someone please bring back my hair.--

jaze70ss
10-19-2003, 06:49 PM
Hey mike,
I know this thread was started about a camaro,still I have to ask about that 66, The photo of the emblem you posted.... Is it off a 68 full size ss 427 imp. and if so was this car converted after the original owner had it for awhile? Just wondering if dana did those kind of things on a regular basis. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
thanks,
jay b
p.s. I cant tell you how cool i think that car is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

MYSTERYCHEVELLE
10-19-2003, 08:17 PM
Jay

I am not looking to get in any pissing contest here, so I will just say..Thanks, glad you like it.

jaze70ss
10-19-2003, 09:15 PM
Hey mike,
I hope you don't think i'm being difficult,I honestly didn't mean it that way. I truly am interested in learning more about these cars. It seems less is known about the dana and southern california cars than almost any of the others. I for one would like to see if someone local would break the dam and elighten the masses on the dana mystique..... anyone else????
jay b