PDA

View Full Version : Repro Endura bumper fit?

Jeremy
10-15-2003, 02:07 AM
I have bought two different repro Endura bumpers for a 69 Camaro and both were terrible! One was the first repro offered and the second was a revised, the second was no better than the first. I was told by a parts vender two years ago that there was a third revised Endura that would be released the following January. Does anyone have any information on this or any comments on the fit and quality of the current repros? I know nothing compares to OEM parts but I have a hard time paying $1000 to $1600 for a nice original /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif. Thanks guys!

Unreal
10-15-2003, 08:46 AM
Can't speak to the repop bumper, but I can speak to the repop inner brackets. I have an original bumper, but have been unable to find original brackets (unless I want to take a 2nd mortgage on my house)
The repop brackets are so far (they are OER brand) I figured that maybe the repop bumpers are different than originals, and the brackets were made to fit them. Anyone know?
The ends are straight on the repops, and at about 15 degrees on the originals. When the brackets are installed, they should be level, but the repops cause the bumper to be rotated up about 15 degrees.

I borrowed a set of originals, and used them as a guide to reworking the repops. The brackets are "Z" shaped, so it's not a smple matter to bend them.

I marked the points on the brackets where the bends should be, and then cut through the web of the "Z" between the two bend points. That allows you to bend without warping. Then I welded up the cut and ground/filed it smooth. Haven't installed the bumper yet, as it is at the painter's, but I'm sure it will fit right as I trial fit the bumper using the original brackets.

Mark_C
10-16-2003, 05:56 PM
I too noticed the angle difference in the inner brackets, although I took the route of trying to elongate the bolt holes where the bracket attaches to the frame horns. I suceeded in minimizing the uppward tilt, but didn't eliminate it completely. I noticed recently that the upper lip of the bumper is begining to climb over the notch in the lower edge of my RS bumper. Looks like i'll be pulling it off this winter and modifying it again.

As far as cost goes heres an original GM $76 dollar ebay endura bumper on my car. Do a search for enduro bumpers. theres always someone who spells it wrong and it slips through peoples searches. That's how I got mine. i was the only bidder on it too. A few hours with a flexible bumper repair kit, some sandpaper, and paint and it looks as good as it would have coming from the factory.

http://home.townisp.com/~markcanning/camaro/2003pc2.jpg

Salvatore
10-16-2003, 07:02 PM
Mark, That bumper doesn't look bad. Looks like you got the angle corrected. Nice car! Sam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Unreal
10-17-2003, 01:41 PM
Mark, I considered the solution you opted for, but decided since it is more work to modify the brackets, I should opt for that solution. Why elongate some holes when you can spend 4-5 hours modifying brackets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Unreal
10-17-2003, 01:43 PM
Oh, Mark,
If you decide to modify the brackets, now, you can probably get 5 degrees without the need to cut the web. Just heat it and bend it.

COPO PETE
10-17-2003, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A few hours with a flexible bumper repair kit, some sandpaper, and paint and it looks as good as it would have coming from the factory.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow... does that really work????? I'm glad I kept my original one after all. Winter project, here I come!
Peter

scuncio
10-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Most of the original GM bumpers I've seen do have the rust-in-the-core problem. I just bought a very early take-off and it's the first one I've seen that doesn't need work, probably because it's been kept inside for so long! I held out for this one because it looked like a big job to cut the rubber, remove the rust, and re-seal...does anyone have pics of the process?

Mark_C
10-18-2003, 03:31 AM
The roll in mine where it overlaps the edge of the grill is only evident in the very center of the bumper and maybe 4 inches on either side of the center. You have to be standing right in front of the car looking down to notice it, so it's not really visible in that picture.

The bumper I got had a tear in it in the front right edge, about 4 inches in fron the end. This tear was right down the the steel core, the rubber had also separated at the two jack notches, and at the very right end on the inside of the bumper due to rust on the core. Otherwise it was in pretty good shape. I picked up a tube of Dynatron Flexible Body Part Epoxy Repair at my local NAPA. It's a 2 part epoxy that comes in a pair of 6 Oz squeeze tubes. Each tube is about the size of a Permatex gasket maker tube, and it comes with a bunch of little plastic cups, some tongue depressor style stiring sticks and a couple of little squares of plastic screening. The stuff costs about 20 bucks for the kit, but it worked out really well. It mixes up into a thick black liquid that flows out really well and actually dries to a smooth glossy finish if you get it on quick enough and leave it alone while it dries. Sands easily with 100 grit or rougher for rough forming, and smooths out really well when wet sanded with 400 grit. It seems to be slightly softer, when sanding, than the original rubber material, but you'll only notice that when sanding. I opened up the rust splits on the rear of the bumper as much as I dared and let this stuff flow into the slits and it sealed them up very well.

Didn't take pictures of the process while I was working on the bumper though.

camarojoe
10-18-2003, 03:37 AM
The more I read this thread, the better I like my chrome bumper! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif How much are a set of endura brackets worth anyhow?

Unreal
10-18-2003, 11:20 AM
Joe, I don't really know, because I've never seen a pair for sale. You might "find" a pair in a box of brackets, and get them for $10. On the other hand, if a pair ever came up on ebay, my guess would be $100-150.

I paid $200 for my bumper. It had no classic rusty core problems, but was damaged at the lift points. I looked closely at Frank's COPO at the reunion, thinking I would repair mine to look as good as his. But due to the missing eurethane on mine, I decided to enlarge the notch a little, rather than try to re-form it. I doubt anyone but the most expert would notice, and they'd have to lie on their back to see.

scuncio
10-19-2003, 10:50 PM
Man, there's an original Endura jack hook on Ebay for over $200 now, so who knows how much a set of Endura brackets would fetch....