PDA

View Full Version : Can you guys help me?

Mr. T
10-16-2003, 03:56 AM
I have been a big time fan, lover and owner of 69 Camaro's for 20 years now. Nothing compares to a first generation Camaro, but that is just my opinion.
For sometime now, I have been in a fog about some things relating to the none other 69 Camaro. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif So hopefully guys, you can help me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Please bear with me, there is quite a few question I have about the COPO, Yenko, Dana, Nickey, and Baldwin Motion 69 Camaros. So here are the questions....just answer what you have time for.
Did the original (69) 1969 Camaro COPO 427's come with Aluminum Blocks or Cast? I have heard both, but I have decided they were aluminum, due to the high cost that they were sold at.
As for the Yenko's, were all of them factory ordered COPO's before they arrived at Yenko Chevrolet, and were they cast or aluminum 427's? I read somewhere that in the beginning before Don Yenko received the COPO's from the factory, he actually switched engines out of a (well lets say SS396 Camaro's and put in a 427) at the buyer's request. Is this true? Were all the Yenko Camaros plain jane's before the Yenko package was put on, or were some of them an SS, RS, SS/RS? I have only seen plain jane optioned Yenko Camaros with the 427 in the past, without SS, RS packages included.
I have seen Baldwin Motion 69 Camaros with an SS/RS option before, including the Baldwin updates. Was the Yenko and Baldwin package's put on at the dealership, factory or somewhere else?
Were the 69 Camaros that were delivered to Baldwin Chevrolet, Yenko Chevrolet, Dana, and Nickey considered COPO's before the modifications. If that is so, would't there be more than the original 69 COPO's, or did that name dissappear after the Yenko, Baldwin Motion, Nickey, and Dana updates were put on?
So as far as I can tell, the orginal (69) 1969 COPO's had an aluminum block and the rest of the COPO's sent to the dealerships I have mentioned were cast?
As for the Dana and Nickey Camaros, did they receive factory optioned 427 Camaro's as well, or did they just swap engines, like Yenko might have done at the beginning? Does anybody know of how many Dana, Nickey Camaros were built? How many 69 Baldwin Motion Camaro's were built? I know there were either 199 or 201 Yenkos.
It is amazing after 20's years, I still have questions about these Camaro's. I guess you never stop learning. I know there are alot of questions guys, but these are questions that keep me up at night...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Any help would be most appreciated....or if you can't answer some of them, where could I get the info?
Thanks again!
Mr. T
(2 69's) hardtop and convertible /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

P.S. Before I forget, both my Camaros were built in (LOS). How would I find out the style trim code if it is not on stated on the cowl tags?

55chevy
10-16-2003, 04:09 AM
Hey. Fill in all your profile Info and you'll get alot more responses and help on your questions.. There is A LOT of knowlege to be obtained on this site. A Lot of good guys here to help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

55chevy
10-16-2003, 04:24 AM
Mr T is way off kilter.. Someone please help him.. I don't have the breath.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif

camarojoe
10-16-2003, 04:26 AM
C'mon Ed, you're just worried he might be the REAL Mr. T..." I pity the foooool who don't answer his questions." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif Seriously though Mr. T, the best thing to do is to go to the homepage and read up on everything you can click on from there.. alot of your major questions are already answered there, in a manner thats easy to follow and understand. Welcome to the greatest Supercar site on the internet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

55chevy
10-16-2003, 04:31 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif Yeah.. What HE said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Born30YrsLate
10-16-2003, 04:32 AM
WOW! - that is a loaded question...I'll just give you a start since I can't write a full explanation at work and I'm sure there will be others that will pitch in. In 1969 Chevrolet offered the COPO Camaro with a 427 in two COPO numbers. COPO 9560 (ZL1 427/430) came with an aluminum motor (block, heads, intake) and there were 69 of those made for the public, however there was also COPO 9561 with came with the cast iron block and heads and aluminum intake (L72 - 427/425 motors) and we're not quite sure how many were made probably in the mid to upper hundreds (it's easy to get crucified on that point!) In 1967 and 1968 the Supercar dealers that you mentioned basically converted a factory SS big block car (small block in some early cases), usually 396/375 horse cars into the 427 Supercars. In 1969 all the Yenko Camaros were COPOs...double COPOs at that I believe - COPO 9561 (cast iron 427) and COPO 9737 (15" rims, 140 speedo and a larger front stabilizer bar). While in 1969 the other Supercar dealers for the most part were still doing conversions and didn't use a COPO car. Most Supercars started life as an SS which could include the RS package as well...a member on this site has a '69 Nickey Camaro that started life as a Z-28 and had an L88 427 transplant. If you check out his website and read about his cars it will probably answer a lot of questions you have. This is just a quick start and hopefully the real experts will chime in and elaborate on your post.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif
Here is his website.... Supercar's website - click here (http://www.corvettes-musclecars.com/)

Anybody can correct me if I'm wrong anywhere....not that I have to tell any of you guys that!... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif

Mr. T
10-16-2003, 04:32 AM
Thanks CamaroJoe, I will do that.

Although I have read alot of articles pertaining to my questions, but they are not really informative and precise.
Like I always say, there is never a dumb question!

camarojoe
10-16-2003, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Like I always say, there is never a dumb question!

[/ QUOTE ]

Man... you ARE new around here! j/k! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Mr. T
10-16-2003, 04:40 AM
Born30YrsLate

Thanks for the info, it is appreciated. I know that my question was loaded, but hey I want to learn as much as possible and talk to the right guys instead of the wrong ones to get my questions answered. Just like there are Clone Z28's, Yenko's, etc., there are CLONE answers.
I have studied and worked on alot of 69 Camaros in my life, except for the Supercars, and that is my next move, just need to be updated in that area. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif