PDA

View Full Version : 69 Nova SS 396 ,,,,or not !!

DSYenko
10-20-2003, 04:43 AM
Went to look at a car advertised in the paper today as a 69 Nova SS 396 car.Original light green car black int out of Calif this summer.Trim tag = ST69 11427 WRN364563
TR 744 59 59PNT
03E O M 2
VIN 114279W461428
Has a fresh 396 in it block pad 5012362 0T0302 LB
My book says LB is 65 325/396 or 69 335/427.Cant see the back of the block.Is it even a "real" SS car let alone a big block car? I did notice a 10 bolt rear.How can I tell? Price $11,500 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Zman
10-20-2003, 08:05 AM
Here's a few things for starters..
SS should have Power disc brakes. SS cars could have a 10 bolt rear, but If original BB, should have 12 bolt posi rear. Also, BB heater core, BB rad. support has larger opening, and the radiator Bolts to the support rather than the top plate method. BB frame mounts lift the engine up, and to the right. When looking at the nut on the air cleaner, it should be about an inch towards the pass. side of the car. Something else to look for, are the brackets on the rear studs of the hood grilles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

Allen
10-20-2003, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's a few things for starters..
SS should have Power disc brakes. SS cars could have a 10 bolt rear, but If original BB, should have 12 bolt posi rear. Also, BB heater core, BB rad. support has larger opening, and the radiator Bolts to the support rather than the top plate method. BB frame mounts lift the engine up, and to the right. When looking at the nut on the air cleaner, it should be about an inch towards the pass. side of the car. Something else to look for, are the brackets on the rear studs of the hood grilles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

To build on Dennis's list, even though it has a green interior, the steering wheel and column should be black and there will be an SS emblem on the horn pad.

There should also be a BB style heater box cover (like the Camaro) that has the heater core outlets closer to the fender, rather than right behind the motor.

Along with the 12-bolt rear end with the BB, there should also be a larger diameter fuel line (3/8"), and maybe two lines (a return line) if it was a '69 with the L34 396/350.

Finally, that setup would have came with factory dual exhaust, and there should be the hangers/mounts on both sides in the back.

Some of the items listed are SS equipment, and some are specific to a big block (heater box, radiator core support, engine mounts, etc).

The bottom line is: without any paperwork, documentation, verified past owner histories, or the original engine, there isn't an easy way to determine it. Mainly, you have to put together the clues.

Vettefinderjim
10-21-2003, 11:23 PM
Real 396 Nova's here in the West are selling in the low $20000 range. If the car is $11500, there is something wrong......too much rust, never a SS.....never a 396. I sold a real SS 4 speed with its original 350/300 that was a very solid California car but needed complete restoration. It ran and drove OK. Got $6250 for it. Hope that helps.

Charley Lillard
10-22-2003, 12:25 AM
Hey...wait a minute.. Where were the 20K buyers for my never apart 69 SS 396 Nova that is still listed here for sale somewhere ? I Traded it away 2 days ago but it is still here..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/CharleySucks.gif Thanks for my very own Graemlin Denis.....

lowmile
10-22-2003, 03:06 AM
I tried to buy it but nooo. You had to go and trade it off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Mark

DSYenko
10-22-2003, 03:11 AM
Thanks guys for the info.The car is 3 hours from where I live so im not sure what to do.I do remember the hoses out of the heater box were all the to the right/away from the engine.I am a little confused as it was modified so to look like they made room for the valve cover but why would that have been if the hoses were on the other side anyway. Like I said before im trying to figure out if it originally had a big block in it .I dont think this is the original motor according to the front pad that even makes the car more in question.I do think it is a real SS.The car is not rusty at all.I need to do more looking at the car although I am thinking it is a waste of time.
I see there is more BS going on again but this is the best site for knowledge and I really appreciate you guys answering my questions.There are many supercars yet to be found out there keep your eyes open and keep asking people you run into if they know of anything and sooner or later it will pay off.
Also if a member says their mad and outa here their flat lying this site is addicting like no other i've seen!!
Thanks Again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

WILMASBOYL78
10-22-2003, 03:32 AM
Does anyone remember those old hair color commercials that went "Does she or doesn't she, only her hairdresser knows for sure". Well thats how it's getting to be with these cars: wrong rears, wrong motors, wrong everything. Even if a car started its life as real SS396, with so many things wrong it's just a nice car with a big block. Only the original owner knows for sure or maybe the guy who put it together with all the wrong parts.There are real cars out there, take your time, be patient, check things carefully before you buy, it's the best way to go. As I said before "the real cars are sold by real people". Everytime!

Charley Lillard
10-22-2003, 04:30 AM
"I see there is more BS going on again but this is the best site for knowledge and I really appreciate you guys answering my questions."... DS.. I assume you are including my comment as one of the BS ones.. The Fact that my very orig. car is unsold and has been for sale for a couple Months should give you a idea on Value of SS Novas. If you look back at my Ad I had posted a bunch of Detail pics that would also be good reference points also when looking at a SS Nova. The Car has 125K miles on it and still retains its orig. Clutch and Throwout Bearing..You just have to sort through the BS...

Nova Research Project
10-22-2003, 05:11 AM
DSYenko;

This car was on ebay. I am fairly certian this is not a Big Block car becuase it originally had Air Conditioning. My notes mention "Interesting AC heater conversion in engine compartment". I will look to see if I kept the pictures.

Greg

Here is the link to the auction. I have an email from the seller with this auction number and the above VIN. Seller is in Oxnard, CA. It now has a black interior and AC vent still in the dash and AC vent kick panels. G. Ebay Link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33584&item=24 22528520)

Nova Research Project
10-22-2003, 05:20 AM
Charley;

I would have loved to document that car for the Nova Research Project and feature it in a restoration guide. It is one of the few clean orginal cars out there. I just do not have the space to give it a good home.

Greg

DSYenko
10-23-2003, 03:15 AM
Charley Im sorry I didnt mean there was BS on this post/subject I was refering to the Dana car in Calif,lets just leave it at that.I better go on to say what I meant was even though some BS goes on here it's still a great site,there hows that??Your reply was fine.

Chevy114270
THATS THE CAR !! I went and looked at it in Minneapolis, Minn on Sunday. The seller said he bought it on ebay a while back but lost his job and had to sell.He said he thought it was a real ss car but did'nt know about the big block.He even said the trans was in the trunk when he bought it.Thanks for the info.Like I said I think it's a waste of time ,no I know it is.His story is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bs.gif
Thanks Duane