PDA

View Full Version : Pics of Possible Dana?

cook_dw
10-20-2003, 01:34 PM
Thanks for all the help..

SuperCars
10-20-2003, 02:10 PM
Certainly appears to have originally been an orange car, with -- paint delete on trim tag. Also a "LOS" California built car. But any dealer could have done that to get their customer an orange car. So far nothing in the pictures would point to being a DANA. Need shots of stuff like the hood, emblems, motor, traction bars, any and all hi-perf equipment, which there appears to be a lack of?? Is there a picture of heater box, big block or small block? Was it a straight RS with 10 bolt rear, or is it a RS/SS with 12 bolt rear? Do you know for sure if this originally was a 4 speed car? Start on the paperwork trail through owner history to try to get back to the original owner to see what it was, or wasn't.

JoeC
10-20-2003, 02:29 PM
An NICB report that shows the original dealer as Dana would be a big plus but it is difficult to get. This would not prove it was a 427 car but would at least show that it went through Dana.

camarojoe
10-20-2003, 02:49 PM
Whatever this car is, if it were me i'd have it bought... Just the fact its a --- paint code and relatively complete, its a car worth buying if the price is fair, it seems WELL worth the risk, as it sure looks to me like it has the high possibility of being a Dana car. If you give enough info to the wrong person/people, someone WILL go buy this car, and if and when it IS confirmed as a Dana car, you will be kicking yourself in the a$$ for dragging your feet. JMO.

Astock
10-20-2003, 04:35 PM
Does it have the original rear end? If so,is it a 3:08 non-posi or a 4:10 posi.In the picture it looks like multileaf 4 or 5(?).Does it have one or two exhaust hangers?Do the dual exhaust hangers match on the subframe or has one been added at a later date.Does the speedo cable come out where your Dad's '68 375hp car does?If theres no engine,it would be easy to get the part numbers off the frame mounts(BB or sb).Is the tach(redline) in the dash and the speedo?.I would like to know the miles it shows along with a picture of the drivers seat(was it a daily driver or a low mile weekend racer that got 5 mpg).I'm surprised theres no pictures of the engine bay. Take a look at SuperCars recent find of a Dana Camaro engine compartment and it talks to you.One thing I will add in the cars behalf,all the paint delete '68 Camaro's I've found were normally something(z28,ss).And,that could have been because they were all strip delete cars.These clues are just to determine if it's more than just a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif RS.
Good luck, Jim

55chevy
10-20-2003, 05:10 PM
Where's the pictures?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Charley Lillard
10-20-2003, 05:26 PM
I agree with Camarojoe...Since it is cheap, just get it bought before the Hounds find it....

AutoInsane
10-20-2003, 06:15 PM
My guess is he already bought it.....

Supercar_Kid
10-20-2003, 07:10 PM
Well the pics are gone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Now if I was cook I'd be on my way to a cash machine... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

jg95z28
10-20-2003, 07:37 PM
How cheap is cheap? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

55chevy
10-20-2003, 08:10 PM
Repost the pics if you would. I didn't get to see em. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

cook_dw
10-20-2003, 09:15 PM
Thanks to eveyone that has been helpful..

jg95z28
10-20-2003, 09:34 PM
Wow, is that ever rough. So its got RS bits and pieces but the rear valance is missing the RS backup lights... hmmmm... although it could've been replaced.

Did you check the headlamp switch for the vacuum hose hook ups? That would help answer the RS question.

It could be a nice project if the price is right, even if it ends up not being a true Dana.

Astock
10-21-2003, 12:24 AM
Hey, I dont want to bring this kid down, but I think you guys may be leading him down the wrong path. If it's a 2-3 thousand dollar car, fine take a chance. But, the seller is telling him it's a Dana(?), so it's more than a couple grand. Why is there a high possibility of the car being a Dana? You have to being kidding me, or him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Supercar_Kid
10-21-2003, 12:38 AM
By the looks of where it's sitting, it may be cheaper than you think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Jeff H
10-21-2003, 12:39 AM
I don't know that anyone told him it's a Dana car, I think he was looking into the possibility it is. I will say that the AC would make me question it a lot harder, but if the car is cheap enough then it's worth grabbing and researching further. It's a very strange combination of things done to it so anything is possible. RS taillights removed, AC, rear multileaf springs with 12 bolt with discs!

cook_dw
10-21-2003, 01:59 AM
Thanks so much for the input... you have all been helpful with the exception of Jg95Z28 this one person and his ignorant replies have forced me to no longer seek information from this forum...but again I do thank the knowledgeable individuals for their input. As for "Astock" obviously you are not keeping track with the story. I said that we (as in my dad and I) had found a car that we thought may possible be a Dana. I am disappointed in people that would consider me a kid and I do not appreciate being called one! Not once have I said I knew more than the next guy; I just simply said I was familiar with big blocks, Z's, Yenkos and etc. I am disappointed in this site for having people that are so ignorant that they think a 25 yr old "kid" might actually know a little something about Camaros. Due to people who wish to be negative I do not feel that I will be visiting this site any longer.. Lastly, I am very appreciative of those people who were actually able to give me valuable input on this topic..

55chevy
10-21-2003, 02:04 AM
WHY DO I KEEP MISSING THE PICS???? Could you please put the pics up and LEAVE them there for us slow people to enjoy? Thanks

Charley Lillard
10-21-2003, 02:15 AM
Cook... Don't be upset at People thinking you are a Kid.. You said me and My Dad...makes it easy to think of you as a Kid..Good luck with the Car...

55chevy
10-21-2003, 02:32 AM
Well cook_dw.. If you are going to blow off the people on THIS site, you might as well give up your search for ANYONE else with the knowledge of Dana cars out there.. Cause it's all here. And I think you read WAAAY to much into the replies you took offense too. Not to mention, I have NEVER seen anyone post up pics and take them down so fast that I didn't have a chance to view them. Are you just pissed off that you've realized the car is NOT a Dana by our members imput? I sure as hell hope a new "Dana" car doesn't hit the market out of the blue in 12 months. When you bash this site and it's members cook_dw.. YOU BASH THE SUPERCAR COMMUNITY. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. We tried to help you out, but you didn't hear what you wanted to, sorry. Have fun with your new Camaro. Just don't try to make something out of it that it's not. Cause we'll know if you try and sell it. Later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Mark_C
10-21-2003, 02:55 AM
Here, I'll be the jerk that reposts the link.

Link to Possible 1968 Dana Camaro Pictures (http://community.webshots.com/album/95814386ieMpLA)

Born30YrsLate
10-21-2003, 03:01 AM
That-a-boy Mark....take one for the team.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Hey Darrell...I see that you are an engineer, would you happen to work at the GM plant down there...if so let me know I have a friend that I graduated with this past year that works at the facility as an engineer....btw...once you turn 26 they don't think of you as a kid anymore (another half a year and i'll be there.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)....don't shut the door of knowledge you have here.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Jeff H
10-21-2003, 03:06 AM
Cook, don't let a couple of people bother you. You are going to need some help trying to research the car and your best contacts will be some of the people that are on this board. You may be better off sending private messages to people you think can help you here. Good luck with the car.

Belair62
10-21-2003, 03:08 AM
Ease up on him gang...he should be cautious at this point...I would love to read some of his PM's right about now and see how many folks wanted to help him !!!Cook DW...get the car. And have fun with the ole man restoring it..whatever it is...

sixtiesmuscle
10-21-2003, 03:34 AM
Sour grapes, or, soggy Wheaties???

hvychev
10-21-2003, 03:36 AM
Sixties the Wheaties are reserved for you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

camarojoe
10-21-2003, 03:45 AM
Who says its definitely not a Dana car? I agree with belair and think he needs to use some caution in what he posts and the info he provides.... While i know the majority of folks here are honest and willing to help, there are alot of people who arent registered and still look at this site and info posted on it daily. A good way to lose a good car out from under you is to ask too many questions about it for a month and post pics of it and answer questions asked either publicly or privately as to its whereabouts... Yeah maybe the guy got a little upset for the wrong reasons, but i do hope he gets the car and i do hope it turns out to be real. Nothing wrong with that! JMO. Cup in place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

55chevy
10-21-2003, 03:56 AM
I agree Joe. I just thought he really jumped the gun on all of us for no reason what so ever. Hell, up till that point, all I did was ask to see the pics. But I've been here long enough that when the site gets blasted, I take offense. Cook, we're not all bad. Hope you found something worthwhile and managed to grab it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Tommy
10-21-2003, 04:12 AM
I agree with Joe also, Use lots of caution until you have A car in your possesion. I used to work the body shops in and around Bowling Green (noticed Darrell is from KY) and after knowing that and maybe clueing in on something in the background of the pictures he posted it would be easy to ask around and nab the car while he was "thinking" about it. I don't travel that far north anymore. I do remember the body shop next to the stockyards having A fairly solid 64-65 Elky he said he wanted to move but was waiting on A title situation to be cleared up. I guess I am A kid too since I refer to my Dad in some of my posts. I'm 31 he's 53 and we hit several car shows each year together. he has as much an interest in Vintage muscle cars as I do. Hope you get the car Darrell. If it is A Dana that's great, if not you can always sell it or do something crazy with it. You guys have A great track in Bowling Green. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tommy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

jg95z28
10-21-2003, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks so much for the input... you have all been helpful with the exception of Jg95Z28 this one person and his ignorant replies have forced me to no longer seek information from this forum...but again I do thank the knowledgeable individuals for their input. As for "Astock" obviously you are not keeping track with the story. I said that we (as in my dad and I) had found a car that we thought may possible be a Dana. I am disappointed in people that would consider me a kid and I do not appreciate being called one! Not once have I said I knew more than the next guy; I just simply said I was familiar with big blocks, Z's, Yenkos and etc. I am disappointed in this site for having people that are so ignorant that they think a 25 yr old "kid" might actually know a little something about Camaros. Due to people who wish to be negative I do not feel that I will be visiting this site any longer.. Lastly, I am very appreciative of those people who were actually able to give me valuable input on this topic..

[/ QUOTE ]Ignorant replies? What the hell did I say? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I think you have me mixed up with someone else and you now owe be an appology buddy.

55chevy
10-21-2003, 04:44 AM
I'm 31 too and I talk about my dad all the time. Glad he's still around to talk about. There are alot of young guys on this site.. Hell. Hvychv is 25 too and pretty respected on this site. Even though he is mexican. Yo quiero taco bell dude. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif

camarojoe
10-21-2003, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hvychv is 25 too and pretty respected on this site.

[/ QUOTE ]

By who? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif And why don't they ever post? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif j/k Franky boy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

tom406
10-21-2003, 05:30 AM
I gotta weigh in on the "COOK" is too cranky side. If jg95z28's comments were limited to what I see on this thread, that flame directed at him was way out of line. There's nothing there to take offense at. And as for thinking of him as a kid, while it may seem patronizing, is just an honest mistake unless the writer starts his thread with his age and a biography.

If he's got vultures giving him static offline, I'd like to hear about that before he writes off the board membership as more trouble than they're worth.

Finally, I take offense at the comment about being disappointed in a board that takes 25 year old enthusiasts seriously. I'm positive I knew more about Yenkos, Z28's and yes, DANAS when I was 25 than this guy knows right now, no matter how much of an elder Camaro statesman he fancies himself. You can talk about age bringing experience and wisdom, but straight KNOWLEDGE can be gained quickly, if you take something seriously and immerse yourself in it.

For the record, I'm 33, staring down middle age (hair loss, elevated cholesterol, having to know what a prostate is, etc) and wouldn't mind being referred to as a kid once in a while, if only to offset the feeling I get from our 15 year old babysitters that I'm an old fuddy duddy, cool cars notwithstanding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jg95z28
10-21-2003, 06:17 AM
Let me look at what I said to see where I went wrong...
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, is that ever rough.

[/ QUOTE ]Well it is a little rough isn't it?
[ QUOTE ]
So its got RS bits and pieces but the rear valance is missing the RS backup lights... hmmmm... although it could've been replaced.

[/ QUOTE ]I was being serious not facetious. I've only owned 67-68 RS Camaros, so I know a little bit about them.
[ QUOTE ]
Did you check the headlamp switch for the vacuum hose hook ups? That would help answer the RS question.

[/ QUOTE ]Again serious. The 68-69 RS Camaros used a vacuum system to control the headlamp doors. The headlamp switch on the dash actually has vacuum hoses connected to it. If its a real RS, the original switch might still be there.
[ QUOTE ]
It could be a nice project if the price is right, even if it ends up not being a true Dana.

[/ QUOTE ]Again serious. Heck if the price is right it can still be a nice project car.

Now if he's all bent about my "How cheap is cheap" comment... then I'm sorry, I don't know what the guys' problem is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Born30YrsLate
10-21-2003, 07:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A good way to lose a good car out from under you is to ask too many questions about it for a month and post pics of it and answer questions asked either publicly or privately as to its whereabouts

[/ QUOTE ]
That's why I'm keeping my mouth shut.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

resto4u
10-21-2003, 12:54 PM
If the car is in the 3,000 or less, i would buy it. You do not see many cars with -- paint. Also has a/c and 12 bolt. A nice car to work with, dana or not. Roger

Supercar_Kid
10-21-2003, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Finally, I take offense at the comment about being disappointed in a board that takes 25 year old enthusiasts seriously. I'm positive I knew more about Yenkos, Z28's and yes, DANAS when I was 25 than this guy knows right now, no matter how much of an elder Camaro statesman he fancies himself. You can talk about age bringing experience and wisdom, but straight KNOWLEDGE can be gained quickly, if you take something seriously and immerse yourself in it.

[/ QUOTE ] I'll drink to that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

cook_dw
10-21-2003, 01:26 PM
Ok look I took it a little far with the whole kid thing and the comment on the RS components and how "rough the car is". Obviously you saw the pics and I had a pic of the RS grommet. As for the tail panel; you can see were bondo was used to fill in the backup light holes. Why? I havent got a clue. But I felt on the back side of the panel and there are holes bondoed were the backup lights should be. As for the comment on how rough the car is; maybe you live in an area were cars do not rust and all the original parts are still on the car and that is great. But the fact of the matter is that in reality the car is pretty solid for the most part and all the mistakes made on the car can be easily fixed. When it comes to Camaro knowledge I get a little on the defensive side. As for the comment from tom406; " I'm positive I knew more about Yenkos, Z28's and yes, DANAS when I was 25 than this guy knows right now, no matter how much of an elder Camaro statesman he fancies himself". I am assuming that this comment is directed towards me. I have never said I knew more than the next guy. Quote: "I am very familiar with big blocks, z's and even Yenko's, Baldwin Motion but I can not find any literature on the Dana cars". I am sorry that you feel I have come off as a "know it all", but I would be the first to tell you I am not the "Camaro god of knowledge". All I was after was info and knowledge from this site which I have gotten and I have always thanked and been very appreciative in my replies. Once again, thanks to all for the info and knowledge that I have obtained. For the most part this site has been very benefical to my researching needs and I thank everyone for their inputs on this subject.

Unreal
10-21-2003, 02:07 PM
I'm 55, and my dad is 85. If I make reference to him would someone call me a kid..........pleassssse!

whitetop
10-21-2003, 02:32 PM
JG95Z28

You think that car is rough? You California boys don't know what rough is. Most of us Midwest and Northeastern guys would like to have that rust free body and smooth unpitted subframes and A-frames.

I'll tell you about rough. How about a car parked in a town next to Weirton Steel or Wheeling Pitt Steel. That and combined with cold snowy salt encrusted roads leads to rough cars.

When Hot Rod did the crusher Camaro several years ago they said it was rough because they had to use an extra application of Simple Green on the undercarriage. Give me a break. Where we are at we would need extra bags of sand for the sandblaster, gross of swazall blades and extra gas bottles for the mig welder.

mike32
10-21-2003, 02:45 PM
WANNA SEE ROUGH...COME TO CANADA!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hvychev
10-21-2003, 03:22 PM
In the words of Charley Lillard you ALL suck! Oh and for the record you two punks 55Chevy and Joey Barr I turned 26 a few days ago! If you want to pick on a real kid pick on the Supercarkid! (at 24 he does know his stuff though!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

55chevy
10-21-2003, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh and for the record you two punks 55Chevy and Joey Barr I turned 26 a few days ago!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well excuuuuse me old man. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif

AutoInsane
10-21-2003, 03:56 PM
Damn and all this time I thought I was a youngster in this crowd... hell, at 34 I am part of the 'older crowd' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am surprised and happy to see that 'younger' guys like myself and others on this board are into this hobby. Seems like none of my friends have any idea what a Yenko or a Motion car is let alone a Harrel or a Dana!

Cook... welcome to the board! Great source of information..... amazing what you can learn here... don't take offense to the comments on here. It is few and far between that posts on here are ment to be personal attacks.. more ball busting than anything else.....

Bill O'Brien

camarojoe
10-21-2003, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to pick on a real kid pick on the Supercarkid! (at 24 he does know his stuff though!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard he's only right about half the time though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif j/k!! Trust me, he gets his share of "picking"... if not from you guys, then from me! I agree Frank, the "kid" knows his stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

will
10-21-2003, 05:19 PM
hey let's forget who pissed in who's cheerio's and get back to the car!
cook did you buy the car ???
anymore info or stories about it.

good luck and I hope it turns out to be real or realfast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

camarojoe
10-21-2003, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hey let's forget who pissed in who's cheerio's and get back to the car!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol... agreed, mine have been soggy for weeks! I'm sure we'll hear if he gets the car or not. I also hope he posts better pics... after the deal is done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Denis
10-21-2003, 05:44 PM
Did Dana even offer 427 conversions with AC & automatic transmissions?

jg95z28
10-21-2003, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok look I took it a little far with the whole kid thing and the comment on the RS components and how "rough the car is". Obviously you saw the pics and I had a pic of the RS grommet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is that grommet, on the firewall? My bad then, I thought it was up front. I've seen guys put RS front clips on non-RS cars before, and there wasn't enough info in the photos for me to determine otherwise. BTW, I wasn't the one that called you a 'kid'.

[ QUOTE ]
As for the tail panel; you can see were bondo was used to fill in the backup light holes. Why? I havent got a clue. But I felt on the back side of the panel and there are holes bondoed were the backup lights should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't mention that before, and as I understood it you weren't 100% sure it was a real RS. I must have missread something.

[ QUOTE ]
As for the comment on how rough the car is; maybe you live in an area were cars do not rust and all the original parts are still on the car and that is great. But the fact of the matter is that in reality the car is pretty solid for the most part and all the mistakes made on the car can be easily fixed.

[/ QUOTE ]

That could be true, we do see limited rust here in California. However I also said it would be a nice project car even if it isn't a real Dana for the right price. How could you possibly take that as negative?

[ QUOTE ]
When it comes to Camaro knowledge I get a little on the defensive side. As for the comment from tom406; " I'm positive I knew more about Yenkos, Z28's and yes, DANAS when I was 25 than this guy knows right now, no matter how much of an elder Camaro statesman he fancies himself". I am assuming that this comment is directed towards me. I have never said I knew more than the next guy. Quote: "I am very familiar with big blocks, z's and even Yenko's, Baldwin Motion but I can not find any literature on the Dana cars". I am sorry that you feel I have come off as a "know it all", but I would be the first to tell you I am not the "Camaro god of knowledge". All I was after was info and knowledge from this site which I have gotten and I have always thanked and been very appreciative in my replies. Once again, thanks to all for the info and knowledge that I have obtained. For the most part this site has been very benefical to my researching needs and I thank everyone for their inputs on this subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're barking up the wrong tree because I never questioned your Camaro knowledge.

I still say you owe me an apology. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

One note to everyone. Maybe Camaros are a lot less rusty out here in California. However I would rather see guys like us picking them up an restoring them rather than letting them get rusty in a field somewhere. Just because I think a car is a little rough, doesn't mean I don't think it would be a good project, especially if its a rare car. However when I see rusted out undocumented '67 Z/28's that are missing the original drivetrain on the internet selling for $25K+, I have to question just how crazy this has all become since GM put the Camaro on hiatus. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I look at these websites as places for fellow enthusiasts to come together to help each other out. At least that's why I'm here. If that's not the case, and people are looking at it as a place to flex their egos, then maybe this isn't the place for me either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Zedder
10-21-2003, 11:10 PM
Hey jg, take it easy on that rusted out missing it's original drive train '67 Z-28...it's from California /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif and it won't be missing it's original motor for long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif