PDA

View Full Version : Starting over..

cook_dw
10-21-2003, 09:33 PM
If it is ok with everyone I am just going to start over on this board. First off, I apologize to whoever (this includes "jg95z28") and whatever I have done to be ripped on. But that is in the past and I am man enough to look past all the B.S. (especially mine included). I hope everyone can give me another chance and try to determine some answers on whatever questions that I may have in the future.
I guess let me tell everyone a little about myself. I am 25 yrs old (yeah, yeah just a kid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) and I live in Bowling Green, KY. I work at Desa International as a Engineer in the specialty tools division. I grew up in middle Tennessee and when I went to college I moved to B.G. and have stayed. My dad has been fooling around with these cars since they were new. I have learned all I know from him and different people over the years. Granted not as much knowledge as some but I am trying and everyone can always learn something new no matter how old the person may be. Like I said my dad has had a Camaro since they were new. He has an all original (meaning never repainted and unrestored) 375hp big block SS 68 Camaro which he bought new in 68 and I have some pics of on the webshots site.

http://community.webshots.com/user/cook_dw

Also on this site is pics of my own cars. I own the 69 Rally Green sport coupe Camaro,the black 98 SS Camaro and a 68 SS/RS 396 Camaro (not pictured). Along with my dad and my cars are the pics of the car in question. I understand that it appears there are some incorrect things that have been done to the car like a plate welded over top of the 4-speed hole in the center hump. Also the rear tail panel has been bondoed up were the backup lights would be. I know that the car is definitely a SS/RS car because of the pic of the inside of the drivers side fender where you can see four holes for the Camaro emblem and underneath you can see the two holes for the SS emblem have bondo over them; along with other things that dad and myself feel comfortable thinking this. As for the A/C I have seen in person a 68 Yenko that Cliff Enrest had back in 98 at the first annual Super Cars Reunion in Hendersonville, TN. It was the blue one in the very back of the shop on the left and if memory serves me correctly they had a 69 pace car on a jig working on it at the time of the tour of Cliff's showroom. I will try to dig up these pics sometime this week. Off the top of my head I am not sure if I took a shot of the A/C on the car but I will just have to look to see. That car is the only reason that I still think there still might be a glimmer a hope that this car could be (but not likely) a Dana. I thank everyone for their help up to this point and I appreciate all the help in the future that this kid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif can get..

55chevy
10-21-2003, 09:48 PM
Welcome aboard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Chevy454
10-21-2003, 09:49 PM
What part of middle TN are you from? I spent a couple of years in Nashville going to college, and got to know several people from all over Tennessee.

As for the Yenko with a/c, I was at Cliff's a few times during the same time frame as you, but your memory is WAY better than mine, as I can't remember the details on that car! Or, quite possibly I was overwhelmed with his collection and got sensory overload!

Welcome, again, and let's hope it gets smoother from here on, ok?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jeff H
10-21-2003, 09:55 PM
Regarding the 4 speed, did they swap in different pedals when they switched to the automatic because it looks like the automatic brake pedal and no sign of the clutch pedal. I saw the picture of the RS grommet so I would say it appears to be an RS car for sure. Since the car has had so much done to it in it's past life, it will make it more difficult to figure things out. If you can find someone to run the VIN through NICB to see if Dana was the original selling dealer, that is probably the best starting point.

camarojoe
10-21-2003, 09:56 PM
There is definitely a 68 Yenko Camaro out there with AC, I don't remember if it was at Cliff's place in 98, but it definitely was at SCR5. Maybe someone has a pic?

Chevy454
10-21-2003, 09:58 PM
Bill's Emmerich's '68 wtih a/c:

http://www.yenko.net/reunion/Be02.jpg

camarojoe
10-21-2003, 10:17 PM
thats the one!

Charley Lillard
10-21-2003, 10:19 PM
Holub also has a 68 AC Yenko... Hey Kid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif... I bet I have more pics of your Dads Car than you do. I was at the F-body Gathering talking to your Dad about his Bitchin Car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/CharleySucks.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Charley.gif

Vettefinderjim
10-21-2003, 10:23 PM
Do not fear. There are a lot of 'gearheads' out here who do not swear by every web site forum. A lot of chest pounding sometimes get's carried away. Generally, everyone wants to help and share. Problem is , it is all about MONEY.....and if someone knows more that you, well you are at a disadvantage. So just keep having FUN.....When these cars are no longer FUN, then we will all be driving Cadillacs, and playing golf. And that's because we are getting old. Personally, I am over 60, and I always find it interesting when a 35 year old expert tells me about a Rochester Fuel Injection system on a 65 Corvette. He was 3 when they made the car, but he now is a Bloomington Gold Judge and has "ALL THE ANSWERS"

Just keep smiling and listing. We won't hurt you.
Jim

jg95z28
10-21-2003, 10:46 PM
No ill feelings cook_dw, and I never meant any disrespect. I love all 1st gen Camaros, but especially I love 67-68's with the RS trim option, be they Z/28, SS, Yenkos, small blocks, big blocks, etc... whatever. (Its something about the hidden headlamps I guess.) Heck I just love seeing restored RS Camaros period, and anyone that wants to fix one up any way they want, all the power to them. (Except for the guy that bought my old 68 RS and decided to paint it powder blue, with medium blue stripes... what were you thinking? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif )

Heck, I'd never say anything negative about your cars as your current Camaro list is better than mine. Pics (http://69camfan.tripod.com)

BTW, that 68 Yenko is awesome. One of my favorite colors too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif

Belair62
10-21-2003, 10:59 PM
AHHHH..the graemlin Gods have been kind....Charley help this young man out will you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/CharleySucks.gif

JoeC
10-21-2003, 11:34 PM
It doesn't look like there are holes for a Dana emblem in the area of the SS emblem. Do you have a picture of the front of the front fender?
I did see a 68 Nickey Camaro with the Nickey emblem in the front of the front fender where the 396 emblem was.
You would need to find a paper trail through owner history or NICB to see if there is any relation to Dana.

camarojoe
10-21-2003, 11:45 PM
So have you bought this car yet or what? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Just 'cause theres no evidence of a Dana emblem doesn't mean a whole lot... alot of people asked that Dealer badges, decals, etc be omitted from their cars from Day 1. How were the 4 individual D A N A letters attached to the body anyhow? If they were pinned rather than stuck-on, that would mean at LEAST 4 holes drilled into a new car for each Dana logo added /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif, for what the customer would essentially see as free advertising for the dealership... Come to think of it, i probably would have opted to NOT have that done myself! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Some sort of paperwork, or title history would be great... what about the hood? Still haven't heard if thats still around... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif...

cook_dw
10-22-2003, 04:05 AM
Here is a pic of Cliff's car in the shop

cook_dw
10-22-2003, 04:06 AM
another

cook_dw
10-22-2003, 04:09 AM
and the last pic. Unfortunately, I did not get a shot of the A/C on the firewall but I am almost positive it was there. At least from a memory stand point.

cook_dw
10-22-2003, 04:14 AM
And about the "Dana" well, we have decided that there is so much info missing and for the price the seller is wanting it is not worth it to us. Also, the vin and cowl tag just does not seem right and that is why I decided not to show all of my pics of the car until we were sure of the problem. Thanks again for all the info and I really appreciate all the help. I guess it is on to looking for another project. Oh well, life goes on.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-22-2003, 01:10 PM
Jim, check your math, at 35 in 2003, a guy would not yet be born in '65!

Don't fault the younger guys, they've schooled many an ol'timer on some of this stuff. Just because someone was 'alive' back in the day doesn't mean they know their stuff! A lot can be learned through intensive research 25-30 years later.

Unreal
10-22-2003, 01:25 PM
Hey, Electricity was discovered 2 centurys ago, long before any of us, (except Charley) were born. That doesn't mean a 35 year old electrical engineer doesn't know his stuff!

Salvatore
10-22-2003, 01:46 PM
You are right Marlin! This statement is used by my kids all the time about everything! Sam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif

cook_dw
10-22-2003, 03:14 PM
Does anyone remember this car at Cliff's showroom shop or am I just on crack? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I swear I thought it had A/C or at least the firewall was cut for the A/C box.

Belair62
10-22-2003, 03:16 PM
whoa...what was wrong with the vin and cowl tags ?

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
10-22-2003, 04:21 PM
Sam, I'm with the kids /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/CharleySucks.gif

Kurt S
11-06-2003, 06:18 PM
Finally catching up.
Realize that the orange paint wasn't Dana exclusive. It was regional. Several CA dealers ordered it in 68, aka Tangier Orange.