PDA

View Full Version : Old ZL-1 Ad Ser # 124379n609149 Dr.Tucci car

whitetop
10-22-2003, 06:47 AM
This ad was in Hot Cars Mag, Nov. 1976. Ex Dr. Tucci car.
I like the price.

Mr. T
10-22-2003, 07:27 AM
Great Ad!! Makes me wonder if it was one of the 13 ZL1's Fred Gibb managed to sell. I wonder how long it took for this owner (after the ad was published) to find out that there were actually 69 ZL1's made?

Mr. T
10-22-2003, 07:49 AM
Let me reword that....Fred Gibb actually sold 8 ZL1's, and transferred the other 5 to other dealers, so that still adds up to 13 ZL1's. There we go!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif

Charley Lillard
10-22-2003, 01:19 PM
That is # 12 and is out here in Ca...I think the Current Owner had to Pay about 3 times that Price for it.

whitetop
10-22-2003, 02:18 PM
I think the majority of people on this board would gladly pay 3 times what the guy in CA paid for it as well.

Fhakya
10-23-2003, 07:27 AM
Wow, how did the original owner end up paying 18+K for it? That sounds like a story. Also, the new little emoticons almost sent me off my chair laughing when I noticed them today:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Charley.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/CharleySucks.gif

-Mark Holman

Charley Lillard
10-25-2003, 01:42 AM
Here is the Car Today

Mr. T
10-25-2003, 01:48 AM
Very nice ZL1, #12!!!! Still beautiful today as it was when it was new I bet! I am in love!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hvychev
10-25-2003, 02:30 AM
Charley who owns the car today? Does it still retain its original drive train, paint, etc.?

Charley Lillard
10-25-2003, 03:07 AM
It is here in Ca. Not orig. Engine. Just finished a Multi Year Resto...I think he had to pay aout 15K for it back in the 80's. Pretty Cool

LeMans Blue X77
10-25-2003, 04:17 AM
This guy had a engine.

www.diamond-racing.us (http://www.diamond-racing.us)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif

Eddie M.
10-25-2003, 04:07 PM
Thanks Charley for posting that pic for me I tried yesterday but i see it didn't work

Charley Lillard
10-25-2003, 04:15 PM
WOW...Eddie checks in... Eddie is the Owner of the above mentiond ZL1 and has had it for awhile.......

Mr70
10-25-2003, 04:22 PM
Welcome aboard Eddie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Nice Camaro!
Can you fill out your profile fully,as the Moderators are starting to enforce this,but no hurry,as there doesn't seem to be one around here......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/CharleySucks.gif

Eddie M.
10-25-2003, 05:07 PM
Got it I Hope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

resto4u
10-26-2003, 01:36 AM
Very cool car eddie. any stories about the car? How many owners between you and the Dr.? Roger

Eddie M.
10-26-2003, 02:59 AM
I got it in sep 1976 I was 18 and it was my first car.As far as i know i'm the second owner

hvychev
10-26-2003, 03:38 AM
Wow! Eddie what a great car to get at 18 years old! What shape was it in back then? Do you have any vintage pics that you can send Charley that he can post here? Is Doc Tucci still with us? Did you get any paperwork with the car at purchase?

Eddie M.
10-28-2003, 10:13 PM
It was in pretty good shape it had around 10,000 miles and it was painted black. it still has the orignal tires and wheels, just missing the spare tire and hub caps. the caps it had on were baby moons. It still has the orignal interior,transmission,heads,intake manifold, rear axle,fenders,hood, exhaust manifold's are missing it had headers when i got it and they are staying on the block is a CE block dated in april.It also has a dealer installed radio which i left in. i do have some pics we took coming home i need to scan them.I talked to the doc a couple of years ago as far as i know he's still around and into porchas.I don't have any paper work on it there is some to be had someday maybe. I do have to say though i didn't pay 18,000 for it i payed less then 7,000 for it just call it luck I guess

camarojoe
10-28-2003, 10:21 PM
wow! Thats a cool story... not too many board members here can say they bought a 10,000 mile 69 ZL-1 for 7 grand! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif That's even less than original sticker price!

55chevy
10-28-2003, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do have to say though i didn't pay 18,000 for it i payed less then 7,000 for it just call it luck I guess

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Eddie, wanna sell that thing? I'll give you $8,000 for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That's $1,000 profit, in your pocket. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Schonyenko2
10-29-2003, 01:54 AM
Did you drive the car on the street much? I remember Ken Barnhart telling that Fred Gibb would'nt sell it to him if he was'nt going to use it as a race car. How was it as a street car? Schonye

Eddie M.
10-30-2003, 06:17 PM
Ed I think I'll hang on to it for now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif It has around 14,000 miles on it now. It was not to bad to drive the gas was better then now I just buy racing gas for it. on a hot day it will run about 210 degrees max but on cooler days it stays around 190 it does use some oil, from what the guy i got it from told me thats why it has a diff block (HE THINKS) cause he thought it used to much oil and took it in and he thinks thats when the block got changed he thought it still had the orignal block when he sold it to me. wish it did but Oh well. From what I'm told they do use Oil not real sure why? all in all I don't think its to bad on the street it sure is fun to drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

Schonyenko2
10-31-2003, 02:01 AM
Eddie, thats very cool! I heard that the rings left on those motors if you tried to street drive them around 250 miles. I bought a Yenko deuce new at 19. That was pretty neat, but you got me beat hands down. Schonye /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

William
10-31-2003, 07:33 PM
September 1975 Hot Rod ad for the same car.

Eddie M.
10-31-2003, 09:01 PM
Schonye.. I'm not sure on the rings but i can say there is no valve seals just some kind of umbrella made out of plastic on the valve stems seems like i was told by someone thats why they used oil. Do you still have the Yenko?
wow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif looks like i was a year to late he sure went up on his price in a years time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Schonyenko2
11-01-2003, 01:00 AM
Eddie, yes I've still got the car. 22,500 mi. Will be at vettefest in a few weeks. Would have liked to have found you on the street back then. If I was gonna get my butt kicked, at least it would have been by the best, of the best. Schonye

hvychev
11-01-2003, 03:34 AM
To Ed Cunneen or others that were in the know about supercars back then. Were ZL1's being recognized as rare and in demand even only after 7 years in 1976? That does seem like quite of a jump in price of almost $2300 from 1975-1976. What did the general population back then know about ZL1's and when would you say that they really began to be recognized?

Eddie that was a lot of cake for a Camaro back then. What attracted you to it? How were you able to afford such a high ticket item at 18? Eddie I also noticed a tach on the dash. Would that be the Moroso tach that is advertised in the newspaper ad? BTW please post those vintage pics of your car!

Eddie M.
11-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Schonyenko2...Being 19 and buying a new yenko and still have it is pretty cool to me. I been to the chevy vette fest, i was there when Ed cunneen had the zoomin z and bill porterfield had fred gibbs car there, sure like to go back again maybe next year I'll try and take my car there this time. If we would have met on the streets I'm not to sure I would have beat you I did do some racing and won but in calif in 1976 there was nothing really bad on the streets (not here anyway) I did run a 69 z28 he got me outta the hole while i smoked the tires but after second gear it just blew by him I never was good at speed shifing I was to scared of Blowing it up I know its not whats expected of an 18 yr old but i did have lots of respect for it guess thats why I still have it in one piece but now at 45 I'm building a 70 nova with a (yenko)(zl1) block, still not sure what block it is and I'm going racing but i think its gonna be with an automatic this time
hvychev....My brother was looking though the hot cars mag and found the ad, i remember when he showed it to me it looked like his 69ss 396 (375hp) camaro which i really liked his even had the same hood cause he changed it after he hit a cow at 110 mph drag racing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif anyhow i went and called and found out it was in ny i went and told him where it was and that nobody would want to go that far to get it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif and he told me he'd go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif so then i had to talk my dad into it cause he was gonna buy me my first car like he did for the other 6 kids (GREAT DAD)I rememeber him looking at the paper telling me there's a 73 camaro for 1500 and i told him but this car is rare and it will be worth more later on i really didn't even care about that then (he really thought i was crazy, lots of people did then) but he let me get it I do remember him telling me before he passed away (may02)don't sell it till its worth 250,000 and I'm still not sure i'd sell it .It did have the tach in it and still does i left the car the way i got it tach, traction bars,scatter shield,headers, I just painted it back to dusk blue it had been painted black. I do have some pics of it coming home on the trailer i need to scan them and i will post them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Jeff H
11-05-2003, 06:06 PM
Great story. The best I could do when I was 19 was buy a 69 Camaro 6 cyl convertible. Still a really cool first car, but nothing like a ZL1!