PDA

View Full Version : Planning a new garage. need input and ideas.

Pantera
11-04-2003, 08:48 PM
I have plans to expand my garage into a huge metal building extension off the back of my house.

Now that I am through with my business for the year I need to get started on restoring my Motion Corvette's and I need to get them all home and under one roof. It is just to hard to try to work on them where they are now.

If any of you out there are in the metal building business I would like to hear from you via email. I have the funds to start right away. I have checked with the city and they have said I can do it since I have almost a full acre lot.

I believe that I can fit in a 55 x 75 Two story tall buiiding with one corner cut off near a fence. I have worked it out on plot plans on autocad. I am not too good at using it yet but if anybody
uses it all the time I may need to ask a ? from time to time.

I want to use a four post lift to be able to store some of the bulkier items up on the second floor. I always seem to wind up with more than I have time for. If it is built the way I think I can do it perhaps I can even keep a roller or two up on the second level. IT will also be the perfect place to keep small parts and such on steel shelving. I can also have a office up there just for the inventory of all the parts that I have in storage all over town. There will be some $$ savings there to boot not having to pay storage rental fees.

I live in very expensive area near Southern Hills in Tulsa where the PGA is held. (3Blocks away)
So I have to keep everything inside or the neighbors get their noses bent out of shape.

I am going to make it out of a steel framework for the strength and then finish it up to look like a bedroom wing extension of the original 4,800 sf 3 bed room house. In fact when the day comes that I need to go to a rest home I will have it finished inside into 2 or 3 extra bedrooms and sell the house. There is always a market for a house with a large garage so I can't see it hurting my resale value. This house is my retirement nest egg with out having to sell the cars and I love the neighborhood but realize that I will not live forever but intend to try. (Grin)

I intend to build a Bodyshop/paintbooth/washbay area on one end that will be sealed and Isolated from the rest of the building. Next to that will be mechanical and storage area and the finished car clean room will be as far away from the paint area as it can be.

I want to keep as much of the lower level open span as I can and still have enought strength for heavy storage in the uper floor. I have a Yusaca 12" 6ft lathe and a Bridgeport Mill and a 300w Heilarc and 200 amp mig. that will have to be on the lower floor area away from the paint booth.

It will be completely sheetrocked and will have a clean room area to store the finished cars. I plan on having a groundsource heat/cooling system that will keep the temp constant with out costing a fortune everymonth. I want to ask any of you for your ideas if there is something that you feel is a wish I had done that when I built mine type of idea.

Thanks for the time you took to read this and hope you can be of help or got a good Idea for one that you may build.

Pantera /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

x44d80
11-05-2003, 01:58 AM
Fridge,bed,tv,potty and shower. Thats what i'd need if I built something like this cause my wife would divorce me and I'd be living in it. Nice though!

55chevy
11-05-2003, 01:10 PM
Yeah, add a room for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds good Larry.