PDA

View Full Version : '70 Camaro "Day 2"

Supercar_Kid
11-05-2003, 12:44 AM
What do you guys think of this one? 70 Camaro (http://www.members.aol.com/erikbarr/70Camaro.jpg) It's supposedly a '70 RS/SS350. It's a 4 speed with a 12 bolt. It appears to have been sitting as you see it since the early 80's. inspection sticker (http://www.members.aol.com/erikbarr/82InspectionSticker.jpg) What's odd is that it seems to have a '71 interior? '71 guts? (http://www.members.aol.com/erikbarr/Gut.jpg) Not sure of the mileage or if the seats could have been installed before the car was put away in the early 80's. Just seemed odd seeing the 70 in the VIN and it having 71 style interior. Did any 70's get the highback, one piece seats? The steering wheel looks to be a 71 piece as well, but I suppose it could have been changed too. Any thoughts on this car? What to make of it's pre-1982 applied Motion inspired paint scheme? "Day 2" guys should be lovin' it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

resto4u
11-05-2003, 01:57 AM
What color is that? brown with gold stripe? Roger

72Heaven
11-05-2003, 02:36 AM
I'd also say the cig lighter was a 71-74 unit ('70 had the black knob with a chrome surround) defintely a 71-72 wheel (or at least horn button) and 71-74 seats. It also doesn't appear to have the deluxe lower dash (paint/chrome stripe across the top lower part)... The "SS" also seems to be missing the engine designation (SS 350 or 396), while someone MAY have filled the holes, I'd wonder about it. I do like the car though, I'd look great in my driveway! Did you get any doorpanel pics? As far as I know, no '70's got highbacks...

Supercar_Kid
11-05-2003, 03:46 AM
The car is brown and gold metallic, circa 1977 I'd bet. Overall an decent looking survivor, as far as being solid and untouched since the 80's. It does have the correct 350 badging below the SS's, just can't see it in the pics. I passed the car while on my lunch "hour" and the Motion stripes grabbed me. Upon closer inspection it seems to be just an SS 350 car, but the 71 interior threw me when the car is claimed to be a 70. Didn't get any doorpanel shots and didn't even really have the time to look the car over very well. It wasn't for sale and I don't think the owner was terribly thrilled about me toting a camera and asking all sorts of questions about a car that's not for sale. I think it must have been his lunch hour too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

MarkJack66
11-05-2003, 04:10 AM
SK, Is that Camaro on West Liberty Ave.? I am from Pgh. (been in Naples, FL for 5 years) and for some reason I just knew where that pic was taken. Where are you from in Pgh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

72Heaven
11-05-2003, 07:08 AM
I missed the engine emblems, gotta get some new glasses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I've been asked to leave when toting a camera, twice, by dogs. Although the rat terriers really didn't frighten me, the owner did! Too bad the car I was interested in is STILL rotting over a decade later... Anyway, cool pics!

DarrenX33
11-05-2003, 07:06 PM
Regarding the seats. From my brother's experience when he was looking to buy a 2nd gen Camaro in 1974 he opted for a 71 cause he liked the hi backs better. Bet the original owner thought the same... Nice car!

Supercar_Kid
11-05-2003, 07:24 PM
I just found it odd that the car being a '70 (as indicated by the VIN) had '71 interior in it when it appears to have been untouched since the early 80's. I suppose it's entirely possible that the original interior was thrashed by then and was replaced with a '71 interior. Thought maybe it was some strange late production '70 thing, so I thought I'd ask. Apparently not, but a neat car though either way.