PDA

View Full Version : Yenko Chevelle Paint Codes

Don_Lightfoot
11-06-2003, 12:59 PM
Received this email from a guy who visited my website. I am not in a position to answer his questions and told him I would try and source the information for him.

"Hi Don, very nice car and web page. Question for you on the paint codes, I have a Yenko Chevelle with no paint code on the cowl tag just dash-dash (- -) Are you familiar with this and how many were non paint code cars? My wife and I went to Penn. to the dealership not to long after Don Yenko died and met a man named Smitty who worked in a shop behind the auto dealership called Yenko Marine Performance. He said he had his hand in all the Yenko cars that came through the dealership and 4 of the 99 came with no paint code, said mine was either yellow or green, he was correct as mine was yellow. He mentioned something I never heard or read before that the 4 with no paint codes were ordered from the factory in primer and they were painted at the dealership at the customers request and how unique it would be to restore it to its true original condition, color (primer). Just curious as to any knowledge you may have on this as I am in the initial stages of choosing someone to restore my car, I have had it since 72. Thanks in advance.

By the way Smitty passed away some time ago without me getting back with him on more verifications."

Would appreciate any and all input on this gang. Will definitely direct him to join this board when I get back to him. Thanks.

JoeC
11-06-2003, 02:02 PM
I had some emails with a guy with the same questions. He said he traded his new Vega for a Yenko Chevelle. Has to be same guy as he had same story about Smitty. Smitty was Bill Smith who ran Yenko hi po engine and marine shop in rear of Cannosburg building. He died in 1986. I told him that Smitty gave him incorrect info. The - - on trim tag was a special paint code for Monaco Orange and Daytona Yellow. More then 10 Yenko Chevelles had this -- paint code. I believe the reason for -- code is that only an SS Chevelle can be ordered with Monaco Orange and Daytona Yellow and since the COPO and Yenkos were not SS cars they needed some type of special code to get Monaco Orange and Daytona Yellow. As far as I know, no Yenko Chevelles came from factory in primer or in any special order color other then Monaco Orange and Daytona Yellow.

COPO PETE
11-06-2003, 06:05 PM
Agree with Joe 100%. My Datona Yellow Copo has the -- for paint. The only other COPO Chevelles I have seen with the-- were either yellow or orange.
Peter

Mr70
11-06-2003, 06:18 PM
I agree with Pete.I.E....JoeC.

Don_Lightfoot
11-06-2003, 06:49 PM
The -- for Monaco Orange and Daytona Yellow certainly made sense, but that "primer" question was certainly not in the realm of my knowledge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

Thanks Joe, Peter & Rick - appreciate it.

YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY
11-06-2003, 07:21 PM
I also agree with JoeC 100%. Not sure where the count of 4 comes from, there were at least 6 Daytona Yellow and 5 Huggar Orange Yenko chevelles!

Would be cool to see a D-Yellow Yenko Chevelle restored though, I think it's the only color not yet restored.

skierkaj
11-06-2003, 07:22 PM
I believe that there is at least one COPO Chevelle out there that had the -- paint markings that was painted a bright green, much like the Mopar cars of those days. I know this to be fact, since I read an article on it, and even saw the picture, from a reliable source. I think that is the only Chevelle to date that was painted that color!
I'm no expert on Chevelles, but anyone else hear of this car?

copo9566aa
11-06-2003, 07:25 PM
I agree with JoeC 99 % . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
My problem is the name Daytona Yellow and Monaco Orange.

For a camaro this is Hugger Orange 100 %
For a Corvette this is Monaco Orange 100 %
For a Chevelle this is Monaco or Hugger or ??? (72)
For a Nova this is Hugger or Monaco Orange the real name ??? (72)
For Chevelle COPO - - = Hugger/Monaco (72) or ZP3 - - Orange...

ZP3 Yellow and ZP3 Orange. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

1969 Chevelle COPO ZP3 Yellow...Look cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Your opinion.

SS427
11-06-2003, 07:54 PM
There is at least one Daytona Yellow sYc Chevelle with paint code - - that will be undergoing a complete frame off in the midwest in the very near future. Car is complete but rough.

JoeC
11-06-2003, 09:28 PM
Chevelle documents say Monaco Orange but it is same color as Camaro Hugger Orange
There could be some 427 COPO Chevelles with -- code that are other colors then MO or DY. There were some 69 SS396 Chevelles done in Caralina Blue that have -- code.

copo9566aa
11-06-2003, 10:42 PM
JoeC
Carolina Blue - - and ZP3 codes ???

JoeC
11-07-2003, 11:35 AM
Roger,
The Caralina Blue 69 Chevelle had the -- on trim tag. I don't know if there was any paperwork with ZP3 on it.

Don_Lightfoot
11-08-2003, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is at least one Daytona Yellow sYc Chevelle with paint code - - that will be undergoing a complete frame off in the midwest in the very near future. Car is complete but rough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rick - this particular car is in Ohio. Could it be the same one you are referring to?

SS427
11-08-2003, 06:24 PM
Don,
These are different cars. This one is not in Ohio.
Rick

Mike
11-09-2003, 02:15 AM
Rick,

Do you know who the original dealer was for this Chevelle?

Mike

SS427
11-09-2003, 02:11 PM
Mike, I do but at this time the owner does not want this information broadcasted.