PDA

View Full Version : What is a Supercar??

jfkheat
11-15-2003, 03:44 AM
What is the definition of a "Supercar"? I know about the Yenkos, Baldwin Motions, COPOs and other dealer built high performance cars. Are all "Supercars" high performance? What about low production factory stock muscle cars?
Thanks, James

Don_Lightfoot
11-15-2003, 03:13 PM
Well James, you could probably get as many different answers to "What is a Supercar?" as you would to "What is a Musclecar?" To me, a Supercar is something that was not normally available on the regular manufacturers option lists. This would refer to things like COPO's, factory racers out the back door, etc.

Having said that, would a COPO Camaro be a Supercar while a Hemi Cuda would not? Very fine line on that one I think. I also don't think hobbyists go around saying "It's not a Musclecar, it's a Supercar". Rarity may also come into play, but then you have similar debates like "How many Hemi Cudas were made in 1971 and how many COPO Camaros were made in 1969?" In my opinion, Supercar and Musclecar are not specifically defined in the Websters Dictionary /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just my meager two cents worth, I'm sure others have different thoughts. By the way, nice to see a Beau SD down south, lots of them up this way obviously.

jfkheat
11-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Thank you for the response. The main ones I was wondering about were cars like LS6 & Z16 Chevelles, L88s, the Super Bees & Daytonas, 65 Cobras and Hemi cars. These are all rare high performance factory built cars but are they considered Supercar?
I got my Beaumont SD from British Coulmbia. I found it on Ebay. I like the Beaumonts and Acadians because they are different. They are also much rarer than their Chevelle SS counterparts. There were only 680 1968 eaumont SDs built. Mine may very well be the only one in South Carolina. It gets plenty of attention at shows and cruise-ins.
James