PDA

View Full Version : Yenkos on Ebay

Terry24
11-19-2003, 12:07 AM
Having watched the forum over the past few weeks regarding these cars, do you guys think, or is it worth going after a car such as the 69 Camaro that was just on there when there is not alot left that was original? Granted, yes, it is a Yenko, but motor, rear end, seats/interior and Lord knows what else are all gone. A good deal can be replaced (or restamped to a point). I can see both views, just curious as to what you guys think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

jfkheat
11-19-2003, 12:59 AM
A lot of the "Supercars" are missing the original engine and transmission. Someone can spend some time and lots of $ finding correct dates parts and put together a very nice car. They can spend $40,000 to $60,000 restoring the car and have a car that is worth $100,000 plus. With cars as rare as the Yenkos, it's not all about what they are worth but the fact that another one has been found. That in itself is a major deal.
James

jfkheat
11-19-2003, 12:59 AM
double post, sorry

T Billigen
11-19-2003, 01:37 AM
Yenkos are one of the few cars that can be a basket case and be missing most orignal parts and really not loose a lot of value. As long as you got the vin and cowl tag even a rebodied car will get a hefty sum. Very few still retain their original drive trains.

72Heaven
11-19-2003, 03:31 AM
To put it in perspective, I have a '72 SS. It was missing: engine, trans, rear, entire brake system (well, it did have the brake pedal) It was dented, damaged (sideswiped from front fender to tailights, then bondo'ed) and rusty.

Was it worth fixing? No. Would I do it again? Yeah!

Would I pay a premium for a Supercar in similar condition?
Yes, without question.
It's my hobby, I LOVE a car with a " <font color="green"> patina </font> " the more history the better...

I honestly have more fun walking a junkyard than walking around a car show...

Oh yeah, my car had at LEAST 6 engines (350, 307, 383, 400, 402, 350) and 6 paintjobs (silver, blue, red, black, red and silver again)

Sometimes value doesn't have anything to do with it (insanity does /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) he he he

But seriously, Chevy isn't building any more of these cars, many of people associated with converting them are deceased so if you want a real one in some cases you have to go to extremes!

matt murphy
11-19-2003, 05:32 AM
Terry,

Most restored cars have New paint, new interior, new almost everything. If you make a 1000 point car then almost everything has to be new. Obviously the engine, trans and rear end can be rebuilt and redone, but a restored car is completely redone. Have you been in this business long ?? collecting cars ?? Unrestored originals are maybe 5% of the cars at big shows.

That Yenko would have to be taken down to the shell and rotated like most restored cars. Don't waste money on a nice car vs. a junkyard heap. They both will have the same pile of used parts and pieces once they are restored, just the nice driver will have a bigger pile. Rust is a different game, but that Yenko being a drag car for a while probably didn't have much of that.

matt murphy
11-19-2003, 05:40 AM
I got started in this business at a young age and listened to a lot of friends . . . I don't know everything, that's for sure, but stay in it long enough and you will find a "Diamond in the Rough" like that guy on EBAY did. I have . . . Good luck and have fun with these cars, they can be a blast and a great way to stay out of trouble, meet new friends, or get into trouble . . . Charlie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/CharleySucks.gif Just Kidding Charlie, you the man . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif

Terry24
11-19-2003, 06:10 PM
Matt,
I thank you, and the others, for the individual perspectives and after reading alot of material, books and posts, that truly original cars are almost non existant, original drivetrain and such, and trying to find one is almost as rare. Like I said, I can see both views and I would probably buy one if I had the chance, but to make it back to what it was, I would love to, but lack of serious $$$ on hand prevents it. I would love to have the luck to find one in at least restorable shape someday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif