PDA

View Full Version : Z11Pacear 124679N638573 I FOUND YOUR ORIG DOCS!!

njsteve
11-21-2003, 06:42 PM
I just spent an incredible day down in Virginia in the old archives of Bob Peck Chevrolet (in business 50+ years). After three hours of searching I was able to find the original bill of sale for my 69 Z11 former Zone Manager/press car (full option car with pw, ac, pt, gauges, vigilite, shoulder harnesses...) The orig owner Louis G. paid 5441.93 (with financing 7376.40) for my car. In my long researching road I learned from the original owner that he purchased two Z11s in one week from Bob Peck, he just couldn't recall what month. The full option car he kept for himself but on the second car he acted as a straw purchaser for his buddy. And what do buddies do? As you might expect the buddy took the car, made one or two payments to Louis G and prompty crashed the front end up and drove it to Louis G's home and left it there, sticking Louis with the rest of the payments. Ouch! Louis G. then turned the car back in to the bank and paid off the remainder of the loan.

Well, anyway Louis did not know the exact month of his purchase. He remembered seeing his pace car on display at numerous dealerships before he was able to convince a saleman at Bob Peck to take a deposit on that display car. We had to go through literally a foot and a half of ledger books from March 1969 to September 1969 before finding the sales invoice for the second Pace Car vin 124679N638573. I then got somewhat frantic as it took three more searches through the same ledger book before finding the invoice for my 02D Pace Car 610486, stuck to the back of another invoice. The sales invoices did not list particular options but did list dates, color, purchaser's name, VIN, sales price, wholesale cost, financing info, etc. In looking through their files I did see a few invoices that showed the options, one even was a 396/375 car, but I didn't take any vins down. This was the closest thing to a time machine I think I'll ever experience!

Anyway if anyone knows where Z11 pace car 124679N638573 is or who owns it, have them email me at [email protected]. If you can prove you have the car, the paperwork is yours! And as an added bonus I'll introduce you to the original owner down in Maryland, He's a great guy and his wife and daughter never forgave him for selling his Z11, but they're happier than heck to see the car now. NJSteve

Bill Pritchard
11-21-2003, 07:23 PM
Steve,

What a great story - hope you can locate the owner of the other car. If so, they owe you a HUGE debt of gratitude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif

$5441?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif That was a boatload of money for a 69 Camaro!

Cool old picture, too. Looks like a Renault Dauphine in front of the ragtop. There must have been another one hiding somewhere else on his property - you always needed a second (or third) one for parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

jg95z28
11-21-2003, 08:00 PM
See that's what this hobby should be all about. Enthusiasts helping out other enthusiasts.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

njsteve
11-21-2003, 11:20 PM
Just doing unto others... I am returning the favor. I have a 15,000 mile 1970 426 Hemi 4-speed R/T-SE Charger (the red one on the cover of the Anthony Young book "HEMI") I've had it for 20 years. In 1990 after it came out in Musclecar Review I received in the mail a large folder. It had over 25 documents in it, some of which no one in the Moapr arena had ever seen before, i.e. delivery convoy bill of lading, advance dealer shipping notice, dealer prep work order documenting the set of headers still on the car...It turned out that the son of the mechanic who dealer-prepped the car in 1970 still worked at the NJ dealership where it was sold new. He found the file and sent it to me out of the blue. He didnt't want anything at all. I eventually moved back to NJ and met him and his dad. Great people. I even had the dad fill out my antifreeze decal that he forgot to do back in 1970! As for my Z11, I enjoy the detective work involved. When I originally found this car in upstate NY I knew it was something odd. You never see them with the option content this car has. The reason I grabbed it was that nothing had ever been removed -it still had the original engine, dist, starter, hose clamps etc. It even had a perfect set of orange door panels and working power windows! After talking to the previous owner I was able to track his previous owner and so on and so on, until I hit a dead end with the third NY owner. He said the car came from Maryland, so I did a title search there and amazingly Maryland retains microfiche copies of all original reg docs. It gave me the first and second owner! Both were still in the phone book. I cold called the first owner and he was happier than I was about the car. He provided me with scans of all of his original photos and gave me the name of dealer, which had been in business since the 1940's. If anyone lives in Arlington, Virginia or the DC area I highly recommend Bob Peck Chevrolet. A class act. They could have easily told me to pound sand, but instead they tried their hardest to locate the invoice but after seeing how extensive their records are, they threw it in my lap. What a joy! I posted my alert on the Cmaros.org site as well. If anyone has any other suggestions on how to locate the current owner of Z11 #2 drop me a line. Thanks, Steve. BTW heres another photo..

hvychev
11-22-2003, 12:12 AM
Wow Steve that was really cool of you!! Man I love the vintage pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SUPERSPORT
11-22-2003, 04:54 PM
I have several original, vintage color postcards showing Bob Peck Chevrolet from back in 1964-1965.. You can see the new cars in the showroom, and several cars on the lot! Let me know if interested and I will scan or mail you one. I will try and post later.

Regards

njsteve
11-22-2003, 07:14 PM
That would be awesome. email them to me at [email protected]. I can't say enough about that dealership. I even met the Bob Peck's son who now runs the place. They would like to display the car there sometime next spring and get the original owner and our families up for a reunion. The business still has the same giant circular glass showroom on the corner. Thanks again

rpoz11
11-22-2003, 10:05 PM
Would think that if this car is still around it will either be on one of the Camaro sites registered or possibly still registered but in private hands...Hope the car still exists! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

SUPERSPORT
12-01-2003, 08:41 PM
Click on the link to view Bob Peck Chevrolet post card! Hope it works! http://images.andale.com/f2/115/105/7901652/1071279967233_scan0001.jpg

TimG
12-01-2003, 09:21 PM
I still have all the original paperwork (window sticker, warranty plate, body broadcast copy, keys, owners manual) for '69 Indy Pace Car #124679640491. This car was SEVERLY torched in a fire in 1992 with 12,000 original miles and was sold as salvage in Sacramento, CA. I did record all of the numbers and even the trim tag number prior to the fire. I figured that someday the car may be rebodied and I may be tracked down as the owner.

njsteve
12-02-2003, 07:56 PM
Amazing photo. I'll try to scan my recent photo in. Other than the cars on display, the dealership is exactly the same: same show room, same roof, same outer buildings. But now it's surrounded by tall office buildings. My photo even has the 60th anniversary banners. NJSteve

Mr70
12-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Thats a nice picture SUPERSPORT & Can you fill out your profile fully Please? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
I wonder if Bob Peck had any Connection to Cliff Peck Chevrolet in Arkansas?

Chevy454
12-02-2003, 09:27 PM
What a novel idea, Rick! Filling out your profile!?!

SUPERSPORT: please take a second from the "Bob Peck" info and fill out your profile.

njsteve
12-28-2003, 02:00 AM
I recently got my results back from various sources and it looks like Z11 124679N638573 is no longer registered anywhere in the 50 states. Sad indeed. I guess it is probably rotting in someone's field somewhere or was crushed long ago. Anyway, if anyone out there ever finds Z11 #124679N638573, the original paperwork will be in my safe deposit box awaiting the reunion. BTW, attached is the sales invoice for your perusal. -NJSteve