PDA

View Full Version : Question for you Chevelle owners................

Mr. T
11-21-2003, 08:06 PM
I have always been curious why Chevrolet never offered the Ralley Sport Option to the buyer's on the 68 and 69 Chevelles. Wonder how a chevelle would look with hideaway headlights, ralley stripes, and back-up lights. If there is a RS or SS/RS optioned Chevelle out there, I have never seen one or heard of one, and I have seen alot of Chevelles in my day. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

Don_Lightfoot
11-21-2003, 09:45 PM
If you've ever fully restored a 69 RS Camaro you will understand my answer - "They ran out of rubber hose for the headlight vacuum and washer systems" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's hard to say whether the 69 Velle front end would be cosmetically improved with hideaway lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

copo9566aa
11-21-2003, 10:05 PM
I have always been more curious why Chevrolet never offered a spolier option to the buyer's on Chevelles.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

mike32
11-21-2003, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to say whether the 69 Velle front end would be cosmetically improved with hideaway lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
THE WAY THE GRILL WRAPS AROUND THE FRONT OF THE FENDERS, I DON'T THINK IT WORK OUT TOO WELL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif

Enoch
11-22-2003, 03:16 AM
Don, Beautiful car this is the first time I looked at the pics! My question is, is that a church it is in front of on the rear 3/4 shot? If so what is the denomination? (Just want to know if the car is going to heaven or not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif).
Rich.

Don_Lightfoot
11-22-2003, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the kind comments Rich. Yes, it is a church. On Labor Day I was cruising back from a Car Display to support MD and thought this church parking lot would be a nice locale for some pics. Both exterior shots were taken there. I don't know the denomination to be honest. Anyway, I do not see 'The Blue Beast' going the direction you mentioned after it's demise, the car is "TOO BAD" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MosportGreen66
11-22-2003, 08:44 PM
Don,

Is the Chevelle a factory original L-89 car?

-Dan

Don_Lightfoot
11-23-2003, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don, is the Chevelle a factory original L-89 car?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know Dan, there is no original documentation with the car.

If you go to the "Numbers & Codes" link from the main page of my website you will get a better insight as to what this car might have been from the factory and what my personal thoughts are. The block is a CE unit dated about six months after the car build date. The heads I believe are the ZL-1 type rather than L89 variety. Since it started life as a drag car, who knows what went on in its racing days.

The best guesstimate at this time is that six of these Model 13427 L89's were built in 1969. As far as I know there are only two out there with original documentation. A gentleman by the name of Roger Adkins had a Monaco Orange one (don't know if he still has it) that has been featured in a lot of books, including an article I have from the June, 1992 issue of Muscle Car Classics. Floyd Garret had one in his museum for the longest time and it was used as the benchmark for restoring this one about ten years ago. Don't know if Floyd still has that car or not.

There were no "smoke and mirrors" given to me when I bought the car, nor will there be any if and when I sell the car. I didn't pay L89 money when I bought it and that same approach would have to be taken when selling. Hey, I wanted a Lemans Blue 69 L78 with a four speed, the fact this is a Sedan is just a bonus. I've always been a little different. I bought the car based on the quality of the body and paint, the sound, and the fact it was an oddball.

Twelve years ago when I got back into the hobby "numbers" meant a lot. Not as important to me today. I just want to have a sharp car that I can have some occasional fun with.

Looks like I've rambled on a bit Dan. Sorry about that - NUFF SAID.