PDA

View Full Version : Don Yenko in 'Vette HOF

sYc
11-25-2003, 04:01 PM
Received word from Hope Yenko a couple of days ago that Don was not selected to be one of the ones to be inducted into the National Corvette Hall of Fame. bummer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

matt murphy
11-25-2003, 04:09 PM
That wont be for long . . . I think he could use a little help . . . Connections to the Museum is what might help . . . Maybe a SYC Brick in his honor might be a way to start. If you don't know what the Museum Bricks are . . . the Musuem sells different sizes of bricks to allign the front of the museum. A LARGE brick from the SYC would be a great way for this site to show our appreciation for what Don did. I'll put up the first $100 . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif

JoeC
11-25-2003, 04:27 PM
Did they give a reason? I had a lot more info to submit but thought I had gave them more then enough. Don raced Corvettes for 30 years! Two national Championships, won class at Sebring - many other wins. I can't understand it.

sYc
11-25-2003, 04:35 PM
Joe, Here is the email I received from Hope.

[ QUOTE ]
Received an email from Donna Mae and she said that John Walko sent a photo presentation of Don to the Corvette National Museum and Don was not "voted" into the Corvette Museum Hall of Fame.

[/ QUOTE ]

JoeC
11-25-2003, 05:02 PM
I had sent my info to Donna Mae and it was to be assembled by the Steel City Corvette club so I did not see the final presentation. I didn't think there would be any problem.
I just sent an email to the Corvette Museum to see if they can provide any additional info.

GMH454
11-25-2003, 09:08 PM
I think from memory that during one of the 427SC Cobra banner years when they carried all before them Don & that other special chevy driver Jim Hall were the only guys to win their SCCA class.
A lot of people put down SCCA racing, and in the 70's it might pale beside IMSA and Trans Am but in the 60's it was KING.
There is an established group of Vette people who don't want Corvette racing history to progress past Sthn Calif and the solid axle fuelies, its a type of politics.
The L-88 guys (Don was one of the first two running proto type L-88s, Penske was the other in 66 ))don't get enough
credit.

Also think that the popularity of the Yenko Camaro with the public, hurts his claim. Corvette guys may just be a little envious at how Yenko prices have outstripped the L-88s.
Personally anyone who can drive a Vette to victory over a 427 Cobra has my vote.
Just an opinion

sYc
11-25-2003, 10:18 PM
As with most things in this world, it boils down to politics. Same as with Dick Harrell not being in the Drag Racing HOF. But, hopefully, in the not too distant future, all of this will change and both of these fine race car drivers will get their much deserved respect and be inducted in their respective HOFs.