PDA

View Full Version : Cranberry Red Monte Carlo SS454 in IL?

SS4Real
11-25-2003, 11:57 PM
Has anybody out there seen my former 1970 Monte Carlo SS4545? I restored the car back in 1992 and it's changed hands a few times. The car was a former trailer queen so you may have seen it at some local shows or possibly the drag strip. Have you seen this one in your area?

http://www.impalass427.com/72res/red70monte.jpg

Mr70
11-26-2003, 12:08 AM
Jim
What Part of Illinois was it around?
Be specific if possible.It does look familiar to me.
Rick

SS4Real
11-26-2003, 12:23 AM
Rick,

I believe the town is called West Dundee and it may have been for sale at the Mecum auction last year?

hvychev
11-26-2003, 01:28 AM
I know of two different ones that may be the car in question.

Was this car featured in a book about Super Sports?

The other may have been a guy that trailered the car to Super Chevy Joliet, IL in August 2002. A trailer queen Cranberry Red 70 SS 454 beat my all original 86 Monte SS that year for best stock/original and also got the "best of" award. (pretty goofy that in the Monte Carlo Class at Super Chevy that they have Monte's from 1970-2004 in the same class!) I believe that the guy was either from Illinois or Indiana. Very Nice car and it did have the Goodyear Eagle ST tires on it like yours did.

olredalert
11-26-2003, 02:03 AM
------I also remember that red Monte at Mecums auction,but didnt stay around to see wether it sold or not. Sorry..............Bill S

Stefano
11-26-2003, 02:05 AM
Yes, there was one at last years Mecum Auction. It was one of the best Monte Restorations that I have seen to date. It was documented with a build sheet and it was loaded with options including factory air suspension.

SS4Real
11-26-2003, 04:17 AM
Yes, it was featured in a book about Super Sports (Robert Genats' book) in the Monte Carlo Section. It was also in Super Chevy in April '94 and again in May 95. The car was originally purchased by my great uncle and I restored it from 1988-1992. I had tons of documentation on the car. It cost me more to restore than it was worth at the time but since it was a family story, I did it anyways. I heard it traded hands for a lot more than I sold it in 1998.

gtomike1967
11-26-2003, 06:46 PM
I live in Crystal Lake and work in East Dundee.
I always keep my eyes open for nice cars but I cant recall ever seeing this SS around.
Unfortunately its pretty much winter here now so im sure if the car is still in the area it wont be on the roads till spring.

hvychev
11-27-2003, 01:13 AM
Wow. Like my new good friend Tom Clary told me at Vette Fest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif "This board is a great tool where there is NOTHING that can get past board members. If a car is mentioned someone somewhere knows about it."

Yes I know where your car is and it is a very funny story. Just this weekend at Vette Fest a guy came up to me while I was sitting talking with Mr70 and my father and asked about LS5 Chevelle info. He said that he was looking at one to buy and I suggested that he take a look at mine which I am going to sell since I am hopefully going to be a supercar owner by next summer. As we were talking about my car he pulled out that book that you mentioned and showed us the Cranberry Red 70 Monte Carlo SS 454 that he owns that was the very car from that book. He went on to tell me how nice the car is but how crappy it runs and drives. Figures because trailer queens sometimes do. Here is the kicker. I forgot his name! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good news is he has my card with my name and number on it and if he contacts me I will get his contact info for you.

SS4Real
11-27-2003, 04:25 AM
That is a great story Frank and you are right, seems like if there is a car to find somebody on this board knows about it. What's amazing is that the car I traded the Monte Carlo for was at Vette Fest in 1996 while the Monte was in Southern California (where I lived) and how over time the 2 cars switched homes. I heard that the new owner blew the motor. No wonder it doesn't drive so good!

KLONECO
11-27-2003, 04:33 AM
Frank,,IS SO......FRANK! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif