PDA

View Full Version : L78 Question

mike2
11-26-2003, 09:54 PM
I am new to this forum so I will wade in and make rookie mistakes.
My question: Was the the L78 engine available in 69, in a Nova without it being a COPO?
I will shut up and listen now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

William
11-26-2003, 10:07 PM
The L78 engine was a regular production option (RPO) that required SS equipment for 1968, 1969, 1970. No COPO necessary.

55chevy
11-26-2003, 10:07 PM
you are a rookie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The answer is Yes.. L78 was available in the Nova from 68-70 as a RPO.
Welcome

Mr70
11-26-2003, 10:10 PM
Welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Yes it was a std.Assembly line RPO for the Super Sport Nova in 1969.
5262-1969 SS Novas recieved it.
Correct me if I'm wrong Marlin?

55chevy
11-26-2003, 10:10 PM
Look at that William.. we posted the same thing at the same time.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif

Mike2.. you might want to fill out your profile information or the SYC Police will hunt you down and do a cavity search to make sure you're not hiding a set of Ford keys... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Eddie M.
11-26-2003, 10:13 PM
I have some questions too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif a freind told me he had a 70 nova L78 with aluminum heads is that possiable? i know it was in 69 he did say he got it late in 69

Mr70
11-26-2003, 10:17 PM
From the Assembly line..NO.
But from the parts counter,he could've bought the Al. heads and installed them himself.
In 1970,Only 18 1970 Chevelles & Elcaminos recieved the L-89 Al.Head option from the factory on their L-78/402 blocks.

Eddie M.
11-26-2003, 10:32 PM
Mr70 I'll ask him again but i remember him telling me when he ordered the car he went through the performance options and the option was there. to bad he doesn't have the car he said a kid wrapped it around a tree 30 years ago

mike2
11-27-2003, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The L78 engine was a regular production option (RPO) that required SS equipment for 1968, 1969, 1970. No COPO necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]
Was it available in Nova that did not have SS pkg?
I told you guys I was a rookie but I will let you teach me. I am trainable. LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

mike2
11-27-2003, 04:11 AM
Mike2.. you might want to fill out your profile information or the SYC Police will hunt you down and do a cavity search to make sure you're not hiding a set of Ford keys... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Please send the police, they will be pleased to see a beautiful Grabber Blue Boss 429 sitting alongside a beatiful Fathom Green COPO Camaro which is sitting beside a Garnet Red ZL-1, #64, which is beside an ugly army green Hemi Road Runner. They would bust us bad I guess.(without a cavity search)
Yep we have Ford keys, and Mopar keys.
Need a project, we could probably get you fixed up. We got lots of keys.

Keith Tedford
11-27-2003, 04:24 AM
Perhaps you are thinking of the '68 COPO Chevy IIs. The L78 was an RPO but the HD turbo 400 was the COPO.

JoeC
11-27-2003, 04:53 AM
are you thinking of the L79 non SS Nova? that was a hot rod sleeper Nova I think they made a small number of them in 68.

sixtiesmuscle
11-27-2003, 02:16 PM
Seriously Mike2, you'll find lots of help around here, but, the best will come when we know who we're talking to. We recently had a guy jerk us around by pretending to have about a 20 million dollar collection of cars. We didn't find out for a while that they were scale models. Mike1

mike2
11-27-2003, 07:13 PM
I appreciate the help.
A little about myself here and I will fill out the questionaire so all can see if they want.
I live in Marietta,GA, 55 years old and originally from Dallas, TX. I am a contractor and do remodeling in the ever growing Atlanta market.
My best friend and also a client collects muscle cars. I work for him as contractor and also as a part of team that buys, maintains and shows the cars.
My son is also involved in the cars as much as he can be as a student at Auburn University.
I do have a deep and abiding love of muscle cars, not all cars and have since I was introduced to Carroll Shelby when a young and impressionable boy. My Uncle was Ms. Shelby's (Carroll's mother)doctor.
I am fortunant in that my friend and boss has included me in his passion for muscle cars.
I apologize for any posts that might have put up red flags. I do understand the intimacy that this niche' has in the car industry and respect it.
I may have been somewhat direct in my reply but no malice was meant. I am quite a teddy bear.
My initial question was a serious one. I do find it interesting that new facts come out every year about this industry that hitherto had been unknown. I would never claim knowledge that would refute someone else's opinion in a condesending way. Rather, ask questions to give rise to others opinions or facts.
By the way, I would never want to sound as a bragert, but I am sensitive to the option of cavity searches, "We do have a few keys(other than COPO) and the cars to go with them." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

55chevy
11-27-2003, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I would never want to sound as a bragert, but I am sensitive to the option of cavity searches, "We do have a few keys(other than COPO) and the cars to go with them." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just being funny Mike. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But then again, you never know what our moderators are capable of these days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Seriously. Welcome aboard. I would suggest going back and reading alot of the past threads. Theres a lot of knowlege floating around in them and you can get a sense of who some of the people are.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

mike2
11-28-2003, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the welcome Ed and sixtiesmuscle. I would never intentionally misrepresent a thing.
I do have an inquisitive side and ask lots of questions. I will go back and read the threads and use the search option as a reference asset.
I have perused this site in the past but never registered.

Schonyenko2
11-28-2003, 02:49 AM
Some of the 69 Yenko novas were super tuned 396s. They were not considered ss cars, although they retained the ss hood and tailpan molding. The Gibb copos were still ss cars. The copo order pertained to the auto in the soild lifter L78.
Schonye

Schonyenko2
11-28-2003, 03:03 AM
Eddie, to the best of my knowledge, there have been no verifiable L89 novas found in any year. There should be some. And I believe they're out there. We just need to find one, or docs showing it ordered, and delivered.
Maybe check with your friend to see if he has any docs. I tend to agree with Rick, but would love to be wrong.
Rick, nice to meet you at vettfest.Beautiful chevelle. That painted flapper door is way cool! Schonye

Mr70
11-28-2003, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rick, nice to meet you at vettfest.Beautiful chevelle. That painted flapper door is way cool! Schonye

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here Ken,& Thank You.
Your Deuce is awesome!
Illinois needs to get some more of those over here now..(I think Iowa holds the lions share of them)
You are all they say you are,and thats a compliment! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

That Damn Flapper Door stirs up more controversy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Charley Lillard
11-28-2003, 04:56 PM
ZL1 # 64 on copo.coms list of ZL1's is Orange... All the more reason to fill out your Profile... Maybe # 62 ?

Whitten
11-29-2003, 06:44 PM
Sorry for the mix up. He forgot to mention that the Zl-1 is not a 69, it is an 02.

Whitten
12-03-2003, 07:45 PM
Well I guess everyone has forgotton about this thread. Anyone think that they can come up with a an answer to all of our questions?

TTT