PDA

View Full Version : Took our new tow vehicle to the track...

mhassett
11-27-2003, 08:57 PM
Silverado SS

Bone stock 14.9
Video of Run (http://www.hassettroofing.com/media/movies/Silverado_SS/SS149_Medium.mov)

55chevy
11-27-2003, 09:10 PM
Mark, what software are you using to view that? I must not have it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
Any chance you can covert it to something Windows Media player likes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

12secHonda
11-27-2003, 09:21 PM
Sorry, I used Apple iMovie to make the video...
You will need Apple Quicktime to view it.
I uploaded a copy to our site
http://www.hassettroofing.com/media/movies/Quicktime/QuickTimeInstaller.exe

Or you can go to http://www.apple.com/quicktime/
it is a free download

Let me know if it works, I need to find a way to convert them on my end - it would be much easier.

Jeff H
11-28-2003, 12:16 AM
You must have gotten a tweaked truck or had perfect conditions because all the Silverado SS trucks around here are lucky to run 15.6 and most are higher. I have not heard of a single Silverado SS cracking 14's so you got a really good one.

55chevy
11-28-2003, 12:20 AM
I have to agree with that Jeff. I drove one and ran the hell out of it.. and I wasn't impressed.. My Grand Cherokee felt just as strong and quick.. I'd run one with it any day. What do ya say Mark? SCR7? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

Salvatore
11-28-2003, 02:19 AM
Ed, My wife bought a Trailblazer from Bryner Chevrolet this year and when I was there I asked if I could take the new SS out for a ride......I thought that this thing was a rocket for what it was. I was impressed. I told the sales manager that this truck felt like a low 14 second truck when broke in and tuned. It really felt fast. Maybe it felt faster than it was. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Sam

55chevy
11-28-2003, 04:45 AM
Well I just know that driving my Jeep day in and day out, when I got in the SS and drove it the same way on the way out and then really gave it the stomp on the way back.. it felt no stronger or faster than my Jeep.. I was dissapointed.. because I'm a Chevy man.. I'll tell you what DID impress me one time though.. I test drove a 2001 SD 4x4 Chevy with the 8.1 L 496/Allison combination.. and THAT thing was MUSCLE.. That's what they should've put in the SS.. not the 6.0L.. That truck is too heavy for what it's got under the hood IMO. I'm sure the engine output the SS has is better than my Jeep, but weight and drivetrain included in the equation.. I say my Jeep will run with, or around the SS.. Go drive you a new Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 and tell me if you don't agree. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

Salvatore
11-28-2003, 11:56 AM
I can do that Ed. Bergeys Chrysler is right up the street from me. I agree with the big block. My one son is always hammering me about how fast imports are to our guys muscle cars and he is a chevy guy, but also is confused on how GM lets Ford run all over them in performance both car and truck anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif He is right about the trucks! I would like to see a 2 wheel drive short bed or step side with the vette or old camaro motor in it. Limited slip with overdrive. That truck would be a killer. Make it 25,000 to 30,000 thousand. You would have a winner! sam

Jeff H
11-28-2003, 12:33 PM
Sam, that's exactly what was being taken around on the Hot Rod Power Tour this year. A standard cab, 6.0 with 6 speed pickup. That's what the SS should be(although I'd prefer the big block). No AWD or extra cab.

Chevy454
11-28-2003, 03:16 PM
Take his money, Mark...

55chevy
11-28-2003, 07:31 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'd say put the 8.1L in a standard Cab with AWD and 6 speed manual.. THEN put the SS name on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

70 copo
11-28-2003, 07:33 PM
Ed,

I am sure that Mark will take you up on the race! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Better get the modifications going on the Jeep because Mark's wife never leaves anything he has stock for too long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif

Did you see the $10K spinning wheels? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

It is my understanding that the trade that Mark used for the SS was a 360 Jeep SUV, A special performance package as I recall from 1998. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

Phil

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif

mhassett
11-28-2003, 10:16 PM
Ed, Let's GET HER DONE!!!! Mark's wife Ginnie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

55chevy
11-28-2003, 10:28 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

VintageMusclecar
11-28-2003, 10:43 PM
Speaking of fast "tow rigs"...has anyone else seen this video yet?

All I can say is WOW!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

http://www.olypen.com/bulldog/movies.html/F350Run.wmv

Charley Lillard
11-28-2003, 11:58 PM
WOW

Jeff H
11-29-2003, 12:15 AM
There's all kinds of crazy stuff being made for the diesels now. If you haven't seen "Trucks" on tv, you need to watch the episode where he adds the propane injection and nitrous. They dyno'd some impressive rear wheel hp numbers.

12secHonda
11-29-2003, 12:49 AM
Yup, my parents are always making me look bad...

I put a Turbo on my CR-V It went from 18.4/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif to 15.8 (7 PSI)It was a big deal to me and my friends. Then my parents go buy a Silverado SS and run 14.9 Stock. Well guess I better add an intercooler and turn up the boost up soon...

Dyno VIDEO (http://www.hassettroofing.com/media/movies/CR-V/7-PSI.mov)

http://www.hassettroofing.com/media/images/CR-V/TurboInstalled3.jpg

Big fan of TURBOS (especially 11sec F350's) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headbang.gif

55chevy
11-29-2003, 02:13 AM
ok. THAT one's got the Jeep.. wooooo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif

55chevy
11-29-2003, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well guess I better add an intercooler and turn up the boost up soon...

[/ QUOTE ]

Or Mark, you could just follow in your Dad's footsteps and go get you a Chevy.. Then you can run with the big dogs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

12secHonda
11-29-2003, 03:41 AM
Found some facts, ed.
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=39&article_id=3283&page_num ber=3

Car and driver got a 15.9-16.0 out of the Jeep.
I'd say thats pretty good - was there an H.O. version???
or was that for 2000?

Guess I am getting off track here, but I remember a friend in a 5.9 Dakota R/T getting beat by a 4.7 Jeep at the track.

Guess we could both use about another second, LOL

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif

JChlupsa
11-29-2003, 03:50 AM
We did a squadron Car wash to help raise some $$ for our Christmas party today and we had a Jeep Limited edition come through with a 5.9 engine it it. Owner stated it was a one year only install

55chevy
11-29-2003, 09:00 AM
Yeah, I think the 5.9 was 98 only. '99 was the changeover and the all new 4.7 they're still putting in them today.

mhassett
11-29-2003, 01:12 PM
Ed, we Had a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee LIMITED with the 5.9 ENGINE. They only made 2000 of them and they came in only (3) colors, Slate, Silver or White. We really liked the Jeep it ran like a Bear BUT we replaced the Rear End (2) Times. It was SUV of the year in '98. We just traded it in on the SILVERADO SS, the Silverado SS ran a Full Second Quicker and weighing in at 5450 lbs. I don't know much about the new Jeeps. Mark

DjD
11-29-2003, 03:48 PM
Car & Driver got 14.8 out of the '04 Silverado SS...

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/d/chevrolettruck04silveradoss/ssextendedcabshortbox/trim_specs.html?content=performance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/3gears.gif

mhassett
11-29-2003, 06:27 PM
GREAT, we were real happy with our run-being stock. The more guys I talk to or read about their SS Trucks are running in the Mid to High 15's. Thanks for the info. Mark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

55chevy
11-29-2003, 06:38 PM
Mark, that rear end problem must've been a carry over from the 98 year, because my 99 is making some "bear" sounds of it's own at slow turns. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/no.gif I need to get it in for some warrenty work soon. 14.9 is pretty respectable for a big truck like that, now just imagine an 8.1L in that thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MosportGreen66
11-29-2003, 10:03 PM
The 1998 J.G.C. has the vents on the panels next to the hood correct? It also has those 5 spoke wheels with chrome exhaust tip. Nice truck.

Salvatore
11-30-2003, 01:49 AM
Hey mark, Your truck would be a good run for Marlin's Deuce! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif I guess I am in trouble now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif Sam

hvychev
11-30-2003, 02:06 AM
Sam all you have to do is change drivers and that Deuce would run fine!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

M you know that I am kidding.......

Salvatore
11-30-2003, 04:10 AM
Hey Frank, I tried to send some pictures. Hope they came to you. sam

mhassett
11-30-2003, 12:05 PM
The Jeep was Really Nice Looking. Yes it had the Louvered Hood, 3" exhaust with chrome tip, badges (5.9) all Leather interior and a Power sunroof, loaded. I got $10,500 for a trade-in. Mark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif

mmcporter
12-08-2003, 02:39 PM
I drove the truck and agree that it felt strong from new. A little pricey though, at OVER $42K sticker...

Supercar_Kid
12-10-2003, 06:31 PM
While we're talkin' Jeeps...has anyone ever seen a 5 speed Grand Cherokee Laredo? Seems odd in a luxury SUV like a Grand Cherokee, but my buddy who's a major Jeep junkie has 2 of them, both '94s, both console shifted factory 5 speeds. They're definitely factory installed units too, as he has window stickers for both, and they even have an in dash up-shift light. They've gotta be rare, I've never seen any others. Any idea what the production figures could be on these? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif