PDA

View Full Version : Buick GSX or GS

skierkaj
12-10-2003, 03:36 AM
Looking for a 1970-72 Buick GSX or GS, preferrably with a 455 (stage 1) and a 4 speed, but will take a other combos of engine and trans. On a really tight budget, and the car must be a project car that's complete, and runs and drives decent. Like I said, on a tight budget, and want it at a really reasonable price (preferrably under 5,000).

hvychev
12-10-2003, 03:41 AM
Dude what is the deal? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I thought that you wanted to buy your dads old Camaro, then you were looking at another car I think, then now a GSX?

Come on make up your mind already! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

skierkaj
12-10-2003, 03:52 AM
The kid just absolutely refuses to sell my dad's camaro, and to make matters worse, he's added blue neons to the underside! It really pains me to see this car cut up, but I just don't have the money to do anything. I've already offered the kid a trade, and I feel that his car's worth more than mine and has less things wrong with it. If I could get a GSX, I'd get the GSX. If I could get my dad's camaro, I'd get the camaro first. I'm so caught up in restoring cars, I don't know what I want anymore. . . well, I know I want everything, but It's just not possible.

Stefano
12-10-2003, 03:54 PM
Good luck; a running driving, complete and real "X" or even "Stage 0ne" 4 speed for under $5,000.00

You'll be hard pressed to find a complete running/driving '7O GS455 4 speed for that $$$$.

JMHO

skierkaj
12-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Hey, I can try can't I? You'd be surprised how many people find that elusive, top-notch supercar, sitting in some old lady's garage, because her son died and it just sat there, or her husband had the car and she doesn't want it anymore. Things like this happen more often than you think.

Pantera
12-10-2003, 05:36 PM
Yeah you read about it all the time but never to you or me!!!! Good luck on your quest. As for your dads old car sooner or later he will fry the motor or something and if you had a car like a '80 Z-28 he just might trade you thinking he was bettering himself. Just be sure that your dad's old car will have that much value to you in the future? I would set back and let the young kid run his course with the car and he will want to get something faster or easier on gas just give him time. Be saving up so you are in a Cash position to make a offer. CASH TALKS and BS WALKS.

Tim Greer
12-10-2003, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, I can try can't I? You'd be surprised how many people find that elusive, top-notch supercar, sitting in some old lady's garage, because her son died and it just sat there, or her husband had the car and she doesn't want it anymore. Things like this happen more often than you think.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be true, but it's unlikely to happen at a web site like this. People are here because they know the values--or at least what they are (or can) going for--and are most likely knowledgeable about it (or gain the knowledge once they start getting involved). Then again, I too am always hopeful for the best deals and there's no harm in trying (just don't count on it). You should scan your local papers and town for those type of deals--I don't think it's likely to happen on a Yenko board. :-)

sixtiesmuscle
12-10-2003, 10:21 PM
Thanks Tim.

skierkaj
04-03-2004, 08:45 AM
Well, I almost got a hold of a 1970 GS Stage 1 Convertable, but I couldn't close the deal. It appears that the old lady who had it ended up selling it to a relative of hers. From what I understand, it had Yellow paint; something I think could've been pretty rare from the factory. Price was in my range.

Thanks were definitely in order, and thank you agian for all your help (you know who you are)!

Any more leads guys? They are definitely appreciated, and there is a little something in it for ya!

Mr70
04-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Only 678 Buick Gran Sport GSX Stage 1 455's were built in 1970.
*479 in Saturn Yellow
*199 in White

skierkaj
04-04-2004, 12:10 AM
And how many have been found? Not nearly that many. They're out there somewhere. If I can't find one, I guess I'll have to build one.

MikeA
04-06-2004, 03:49 PM
Check out this web site. Buick GS Club of America (http://www.buickgsca.com/)

BTW their slogan "Going Fast with Class" makes me nuts!! http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtroop
04-06-2004, 04:41 PM
1970 GS Stage 1 Survivor
All Matching Numbers
70% Original Fire Red, Black Interior....A/C,PS,PDB
Documented........32,000.00 Call Luke 954-943-0401

skierkaj
04-06-2004, 09:14 PM
I'm looking for something a little cheaper; lets say around $5000.

I'm not rich.

Chris396
04-06-2004, 10:40 PM
For $5000 you better build one.

gemleeus
04-06-2004, 11:25 PM
i really don't think you could find a gsx in "bad" condition for 5k or under today. probably could pick up a gs in poor condition for that amount.

skierkaj
04-07-2004, 04:45 AM
Found a GS for $7,000 just down the road, 20 min. from where I am now. Now I have to sell my car to buy that one . . .

Does anyone want a 76 Camaro?

gemleeus
04-07-2004, 06:46 AM
thats cool, hope it turns out to be what you're looking for. i would think you should get that out of your camaro, what you're asking, if its a good driver with decent paint. check this one out i found, see what ya think. i'm tempted to buy it myself, specially at that price. http://www.fraserdante.com/dom.htm

skierkaj
04-07-2004, 07:36 AM
Do you think I should ask a little more? I thought my price is pretty fair for the condition it's in.

That Buick is definitely worth that; hell, it's even got a 400-4bbl!

It sounds like I may have some time, as the GS priced at around $7000 hasn't even hit the lot yet; it's getting GSX stripes layed on it as we speak.

Thanks for the luck. Hope the Camaro sells soon!

jtroop
04-07-2004, 08:02 PM
If it is a 70-72 GS then it has the wrong motor in it,should be a 455 not a 400

skierkaj
04-07-2004, 09:23 PM
No, we were talking about the one in the link, not the one I'm looking at.

I'm not sure what the one I'm looking at has for a motor, I just inquired to the price for now. I'm assuming that the one I'm looking at has a 350; if I'm lucky, a 455.

scuncio
04-09-2004, 09:29 PM
You can find a GS 350 car out here in CA for +-5k. I know I already suggested this to you, but do consider making a trip out West to buy a car. I lived in WI for 17 years...I know what the cars are like in the area....

skierkaj
04-12-2004, 07:19 AM
I think it would be too difficult to make a trip to get a car; I also refuse to pay those god aweful shipping prices. I'll just stick to looking around in my area . . . I'll probably have the best chances around here. I'll just have to find one that isn't covered with rust like the rest of them.

John
04-13-2004, 02:42 AM
...check this one ...

http://www.cars-on-line.com/68buick9777.html

....near you??? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Denis
04-13-2004, 03:21 AM
I hope the picture of the rear of the car is an optical illusion:

http://www.cars-on-line.com/9700/68buick9777-C.jpg

Belair62
04-13-2004, 03:32 AM
I really like that year....but a new bumper is definitely in order there...

tom406
04-13-2004, 03:44 AM
I lived in Minneapolis from cradle to marriage (24), and have been on the west coast ever since. The quality of the cars out here is magnitudes better, and the shipping cost will pay for itself with the first floor pan replacement you DON'T have to do. Open trailer shipping should be less than a grand. It's a pain to go long distance, for sure. But not as big a pain as turning a rusty pig into something solid and straight. It makes sense, money wise. Your basic tired old Skylark/Chevelle/Mustang goes for about the same money whether its in LA, Minneapolis, or Boston. The difference is that the Los Angeles (or Seattle) car won't have holes you can put your arm through. Undoing that damage almost always costs more than cross country shipping. Just my .02c. Good luck on your search.

One other thing, try to find a GS with a good motor. I have a friend with a killer '70 GS 350. He recently had to go through the motor (twice-one cracked crankshaft, and a then an incompetent machinist) and those Buick 350's can be rebuilt, and built up hot, but it ain't cheap. Especially if you're used to rebuilding small block Chevs.

skierkaj
04-13-2004, 06:49 AM
Not sure if that's an allusion or not? http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Hard to tell. Selling my car is first priority, so until I do that, there's not much I can do.

Everything depends on how much I get for my car, and I think that $5500 is a very fair price for it.

I guess shipping would pay off, but finding out all those "little" surprises is half the fun, right? I'll just make sure I know what I'm buying before cash comes into play.

Really, if any of these cars comes up for sale in my area, I just may go for them instead:

'69 Camaro
'70 GS/ GSX
'67-71 Chevelle
'68-71 Nova
'67-69 Firebird
'68-69 GTO

. . . and I'm sure there's some I forgot. I definitely want to own one of each of these in my lifetime. That's my goal, and I have mostly all the plans mapped out for each one of 'em!

We'll see how it goes.